Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 20:39   #31
God Member

Re: Daggers match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
There always seems to be one team who drops from mid table security and ends up in free fall
Maybe there are 2 previous managers who are panicking more on that basis, both of whom are looking dodgy and one was beaten by Stanley recently.
Old 06-01-2013, 23:30   #32
Senior Member+

Dear Leam, Internet scouting DOES work !!....sign this multi-purpose guy as soon as you can...he's the answer to any Manager's problems, and no mistake !!...

yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44   #33

I wonder how Toto would do pushed up a bit in the Defensive Midfield role a la David Luiz. Can't say I've noticied if his distribution is any good.

I wasn't at the last couple of games due to work commitments however if by the sounds of it we are sticking by the direct football mantra as adopted by Leam why not just admit it and drop our "footballing" players.

Belford
Hunt Toto Winnard Liddle
Murphy
Lindfield Dixon Boco Molyeneux
Beattie

Murphy infront of the defensive to show a bit of fight.

Get the ball out wide and then Beattie, Boco and Dixon to get on the end of crosses.

Ideally we'd want to swap Beattie for a Symes or a Gornell type however I doubt that's ever going to happen.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:58   #34
Senior Member+

Don't understand and agree with the people who say we thought we had turned the corner after the chesterfield match . That was one of the luckiest wins I've seen all season. We got absolutely hammered in all positions and if it wasn't for Belford and the woodwork on another day they would of scored 5 or 6! The team is all over the place. We looked like a pub team and have done for some time! I totally agree with someone's post on here how we were in the FA cup , playing quality on the floor football , midtable and 1 or 2 points off the big boys and promotion and then leam has brought in a few of his players , changed our style and suddenly it's gone pear shaped!

Does anyone else know why he hasn't realised Joyce is not a captain and him and Miller can't play in midfield together or even what so ever this season!
Could he not see yesterday how beattie did nothing and was just a lead weight sinking down the game for the whole squad?
Could he not see like the whole crowd that the new bloke is a left back and couldn't kick with his right when they were tearing us apart down the flanks?

The ship is sinking fast and if a miracle of a Goalscorer doesn't come in by January I don't see is scoring?

As for the booing , I for the first time ever at a football match had to join in. Paying all that money to watch that kind of performance is embarrassing! They have the right to boo at the prices people pay to watch that! No effort and desire!

It's a slippy slope from now on and don't see how it's going to get any better!

If we don't get a result at aldershot then I fear , very much.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 13:49   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc:stanley View Post
Don't understand and agree with the people who say we thought we had turned the corner after the chesterfield match . That was one of the luckiest wins I've seen all season. We got absolutely hammered in all positions and if it wasn't for Belford and the woodwork on another day they would of scored 5 or 6! The team is all over the place. We looked like a pub team and have done for some time! I totally agree with someone's post on here how we were in the FA cup , playing quality on the floor football , midtable and 1 or 2 points off the big boys and promotion and then leam has brought in a few of his players , changed our style and suddenly it's gone pear shaped!
Now just hang on a moment. Thankfully, I wasn't there on Saturday so I am not going to comment on that. Yes, the Chesterfield win may have been "lucky" - but it works both ways. We could have beaten Plymouth at least 6 - 1, had it not been for several world class saves by the Plymouth keeper and some terrible decisions by the officials. And whatever the problems are, they are certainly not new. How many times this season have we been indebted to Ian Dunbavin for fantastic saves. Just read the reports of earlier games. And these reports sometimes suggest that we were not playing "quality on the floor football" as you like to imagine.

And what's this about "Leam has brought in a few of his players"? Until the last week, I was aware of only one that Leam had brought in.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 14:24   #36
Senior Member+

Think once again we need a reality check!!,Acci simply can't afford top div 2 players,indeed one of fleetwoods players is on more than all the acci squad combined.We are a few players away from being a decent team,a centre forward who holds the ball up,a holding mid with presence,and maybe some pace in wide areas.
We can't compete in the loan market,as top prospects will go elsewhere,and others are generally team fillers.
If we have to battle in the lower half of the league , so be it,we may be lucky,Sri on a few gems,who will make us some money.
The conference is full of teams with better resources/facilities than us,but there is something special about acci,that others don't have.
One is player/supporter bond,no big time Charlie's ,just hardworking honest lads.
We need to back the team,win,lose or draw,to keep our league status, negativity will soon be transferred to the team,and that will be no good to anyone,especially the younger ones
AccyMad, sparkie, Redash and 5 others like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 14:45   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Think once again we need a reality check!!,Acci simply can't afford top div 2 players,indeed one of fleetwoods players is on more than all the acci squad combined.We are a few players away from being a decent team,a centre forward who holds the ball up,a holding mid with presence,and maybe some pace in wide areas.
We can't compete in the loan market,as top prospects will go elsewhere,and others are generally team fillers.
If we have to battle in the lower half of the league , so be it,we may be lucky,Sri on a few gems,who will make us some money.
The conference is full of teams with better resources/facilities than us,but there is something special about acci,that others don't have.
One is player/supporter bond,no big time Charlie's ,just hardworking honest lads.
We need to back the team,win,lose or draw,to keep our league status, negativity will soon be transferred to the team,and that will be no good to anyone,especially the younger ones
Again, very well said.
yonmon likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:36   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Totally agree with you Football19. We must not let negativity get to the players. True Stanley fans will be singing, "Stanley 'till I die!" even if we get relegated.
I feel for Leam as he inherited a squad with limitations, he has no money to either buy players, or to use good pay as a carrot for players to sign on with us. At best he can only sign players on loan or take on guys currently not playing, (therefore usually not match fit).....3 in our squad now I think?
After the match I was speechless and said to friends that I was not going to comment on here. However, after reading some of the commments posted earlier and reflecting on some supporters in the Clayton end "booing", I cannot stay silent.
We must remain realistic....When people outside the Stanley circle ask me in August what our prospects are for the coming season, (that is since promotion back into the football league), my answer has always been..."Staying in the league for Stanley is like winning a trophy to me and third from bottom or above is good news!". Of course, it is a great bonus if we do any better, and we certainly have managed to punch above our weight for a number of seasons now. When we did get succesful with the great team that Coley and Jimmy built that got us into the play offs, the heart of that team was tempted away by other clubs with more cash!?!
I am not going to criticise team selection from the squad that we currently have, but I can only repeat my previous observations that we do have an obvious weakness in midfield. Leam must try to introduce that degree of "combativity" that we have had in the past with players like Procky and Jimmy Ryan. Bohan seemed to make a big difference with his aggresive running in the second half. I am sure that Beattie up front can still produce the goods but he is not going to do anything until he gets some decent and quicker service from the midfield and we see less of the desperate "hoofball" from our back line.
Come on Stanley fans lets keep singing and back our team. We have been through difficult times before and our support is what is needed now.
Come on you REDS!
Revived Red, mab, yonmon and 3 others like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:13   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
Want to add my twopenneth on Stanley's current plight. Am not going to dwell too much on yesterday, which was awful. Last Tuesday's exult was good, however if we analyse the game it papers over the cracks, as despite a spirited performance, the only thing between us and defeat was a great goalkeeping display by a guy on his home debut and some bad luck on Chesterfield's part.

I'll repeat what I said over a month ago, for me, the manager just hasn't the experience or force of personality to take the team forward and we need to ace up to the fact we're in a real scrap retain our league status. There always seems to be one team who drops from mid table security and ends up in free fall - this year I fear that's us and unfortunately I've seen nowhere near enough in the last 6 weeks to suggest we'll scrap our way out.

I know Rob reads these posts and I'd say to the club hierarchy, what's Plan B as that's vital for continued success at a football club, as managers and players always move on, either upwards and onwards or as a result of not being deemed good enough. So just as football managers have scouting networks for players, are we doing enough to keep our eyes on potential successors - this is not disloyalty to current incumbents, it's good management practice. For example, I know that the FA Cup has given Macclesfield some publicity this weekend, but their manager has had success in his career, we're similar sized clubs with similar budgets, are people like him known to the directors running our club?

Retaining our league status is vital to our club and we need to all pull together to achieve this, and if we do, my plea to the hierarchy is that your job is to ensure we don't get into this position again as it's too close for comfort.
Macclesfield fans were up in arms when Steve King was appointed. The majority simply did not want him. They had a great start to the season and all of a sudden he was hero, their form dipped and they started slagging him off again. Now after Saturday he is a hero again. Macclesfield fans are the most fickle I've come across.

However, they are certainly a case in point when it comes to teams dropping like a stone. This time last season they were in the top half of League 2, lost to Bolton in the FA cup replay and then didn't win again all season and ended up relegated.

Losing runs are very difficult to break once the confidence has been lost and the Macc team were nervous wrecks towards the end of last season. I think Stanley have the ability, fight and nous to pick up enough points along the way, to avoid the drop, but the simularity with Macc Town is there for all to see.

Keep supporting the team, encouragement is the key, Macc fans did the opposite and the players became rabbits trapped in the headlights.

Last edited by Larry Lobster; 07-01-2013 at 18:15.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:33   #40

We're in a real scrap and when it's tough, we all need to pull together and back the cause because none of us want to see Stanley slide out of the
League.

Choirboy makes a great point about finishing 3rd bottom as with our facilities and resources, we should be bottom of the league by some way and whilst that is a reality check, our expectations are now higher than that, as we feel we're an established League 2 club and the current outlook is bleak.

It is about pulling together, getting behind the team, making sure the players know the support and will is there for them rather than them being scared to play at home and at the same time, the hierarchy putting things in place to avoid us being in this situation next year.

Despite our lack of everything, there is something special about the place - you only need to look at how many ex players you see coming back to watch matches to tell you that.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 18:56   #41
Senior Member+

Booing is for Ewood, we are better than that.... Some of the darkest days following asfc have always seen passion from the terrace & a gallows humour second to none. Keep the faith comrades....

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 19:00   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Miller View Post
Booing is for Ewood, we are better than that.... Some of the darkest days following asfc have always seen passion from the terrace & a gallows humour second to none. Keep the faith comrades....
Hope it is not too long before we see/hear you back on the terraces Mr. Miller

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:10   #43
Senior Member+

Your spot on Alan,Macc were too good on paper,to go down.How's Jon doing?, lost touch when he went north,half expected him turning out for rangers lol.
Bit tough at Acci at the moment and I personally think the leagues tougher this Season.
On a positive note deans getting fitter and getting a game in his preferred position !!!.
May be upto full pace around April !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:35   #44

Quote:
Your spot on Alan,Macc were too good on paper,to go down.How's Jon doing?, lost touch when he went north,half expected him turning out for rangers lol.
Bit tough at Acci at the moment and I personally think the leagues tougher this Season.
On a positive note deans getting fitter and getting a game in his preferred position !!!.
May be upto full pace around April !!!
Hi Ian, Going to Scotland has been a complete waste of time. He played only one competative match in the League cup and got on the bench in the SPL just once in December against Dundee. He took the option to have his contract paid up Last month.

Last week he went training with the club of this forums "arch enemy" .....Barrow....He decided not to return, said it was a shambles, I believe they now have a transfer embargo on them anyway.

His agent did speak to Leam at Stanley but it seems he opted for Nicky Hunt. Nothing doing at the moment, just pounding the streets keeping fit.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:47   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lobster View Post
Last week he went training with the club of this forums "arch enemy" .....Barrow....He decided not to return, said it was a shambles, I believe they now have a transfer embargo on them anyway.

If he went training with them he won't have even seen Barrow

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..