Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2016, 09:46   #1
Senior Member+

Defining Moment ??...a thread for today !.

Heard someone say yesterday that tonight's game against Portsmouth would definitely be Stanley's ' Defining Moment ' of the season.
However, I beg to differ !. In my opinion many defining moments have been witnessed at Home matches and in particular at away games which have more than persuaded me that the current squad, their style of play, and most importantly their spirit and endeavour are as good as, if not better than any other team in Division 2 of the Football League.
Many factors have been employed to bring this about, from shrewd Management and solid application, to the development and burgeoning of skills in individual players, which I for one failed to expect at the start of the campaign !.
So given these facts?...proven by the aforementioned evidence, the Reds can go into tonight's game with the confidence that, although JC will not admit it, they are simply the Best !.
Personally speaking, I have turned up in the past to watch games of similar importance with one nagging thought in mind.... ' I hope the Reds can do it !'. Tonight it will be
' I know the Reds can do it.... wonder by how many ?'.
Do you know... I can't wait !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55   #2
God Member

Re: Defining Moment ??...a thread for today !.

Well said Alan, my thoughts on turning up tonight will be similar -

"I know the Reds can do it . . . . . . . . . & thank our lucky stars that Mr. Kettle is not officiating"
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51   #3

Tonight could be a defining moment..........

If we beat Pompey & Daggers fail to beat Newport, then we will be Mathematically Safe
AccyMad, Chimer and Red-Osbornello like this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:51   #4
Full Member+

The main thing is we don't lose. I am sure we have enough in our locker to beat Portsmouth. we must play for 90 minutes. I am confident, If we can get through the next 3 games without a loss we we will be there at the end,
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:00   #5
Senior Member+

Looks like Big Jase is back in the nets tonight. According to the FA site, Ross is banned for tonights game, so I suppose the appeal failed, or is this a case of next week? Then will be too late.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 13:11   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Looks like Big Jase is back in the nets tonight. According to the FA site, Ross is banned for tonights game, so I suppose the appeal failed, or is this a case of next week? Then will be too late.
It was unsucessfull says on fishy, still i expect beggar all from that load of ******* at the F.A.
Old 08-03-2016, 15:09   #7
Senior Member+

Still happy enough for Mooney to step in!
Old 08-03-2016, 15:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
Tonight could be a defining moment..........

If we beat Pompey & Daggers fail to beat Newport, then we will be Mathematically Safe
I meant Carlisle (both abroad as far as I'm concerned)
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 21:31   #9
God Member

Defining moment? Definitely - just not in the way we'd hoped! Truth is Portsmouth were faster & fitter than us & in general more up for it. From the word go, it seemed like they had twice as many players on the pitch
Much as it pains me to admit it, Paul Cook had prepared his players & game plan better than we had - second half we did improve but by then unfortunately it was game over.
Hopefully on Saturday it will be a different story & we'll be toasting the lads success against Plymouth - we all know we're capable of it, just that we didn't show it tonight
baldy and monkey hanger like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 21:37   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Still happy enough for Mooney to step in!
After tonights performance, I will be glad for Ross to be back in goal on Saturday. Played nothing like he did in the first half of the season. Did not command his area and to compound it all, defence helped Pompey.
As for promotion, the abject team that JC played tonight were more like relegation candidates. Thank goodness we have the points on the board. BTW where has Adam Buxton gone? Not in the team and not on the bench. Has he picked up a knock? All we can hope for is that we play a hell of a lot better on Saturday because n previous weeks, that result has been coming, we have been nowhere near good enough at home anyway.
cashman likes this.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Old 08-03-2016, 21:40   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Completely outclassed and outplayed tonight no excuses the best team won. cant even blame the officials they had a good game.
Old 08-03-2016, 22:12   #12
Senior Member+

Oh dear !..who didn't see that one coming then ?.

KTF !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 22:34   #13
Full Member+

Adam Buxton was in the ground and so was Deano, Bucko has flu he said I didn't get to speak to Deano. Tom Aldred was here I was hoping we could slip him in as a ringer but. The best team won, we were played off the park first half. Second half changes helped, surprised that Piero was taken off. Matty pearson was all over the place. Matt crooks was only average in short spells. I can't understand the obsession of playing one up front, Billy was marked out immediately and was always going to struggle. Sadly it was like we were playing 11 strangers, we got under each other's feet. Our passing is atrocious at times for this stage of the season. Jason was badly beaten in goal which has done his confidence no good at all, The comedy of errors near the end was entertaining, we all know we can do better but now it is a case of we must do better. A bad day at the office.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 23:11   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Adam Buxton was in the ground and so was Deano, Bucko has flu he said I didn't get to speak to Deano. Tom Aldred was here I was hoping we could slip him in as a ringer but. The best team won, we were played off the park first half. Second half changes helped, surprised that Piero was taken off. Matty pearson was all over the place. Matt crooks was only average in short spells. I can't understand the obsession of playing one up front, Billy was marked out immediately and was always going to struggle. Sadly it was like we were playing 11 strangers, we got under each other's feet. Our passing is atrocious at times for this stage of the season. Jason was badly beaten in goal which has done his confidence no good at all, The comedy of errors near the end was entertaining, we all know we can do better but now it is a case of we must do better. A bad day at the office.
Thanks for the info re Bucko. I think teams have sussed how we play with 2 wingers and 2 wing backs supporting them and the opposition are doubling up on Piero in particular and to a lesser extent Sean Mc. I would like to see us play differently on Saturday and go through the middle of the park and use the wings to a lesser extent. Make the opposition think which way are we coming at them this time. Just a thought. Lets hope Josh is back on Saturday and help Billy Kee, who looked forlorn up front tonight when not getting any ball for 75 minutes of the game. The one thing that does annoy me is the way certain players try to play like they are the best footballer since George Best, when clearly thy are not. Use the KISS technique, Keep It Simple Stupid!
Chrisr likes this.

Last edited by Outback Ozzy; 08-03-2016 at 23:13. Reason: spelling and extra text
Old 08-03-2016, 23:58   #15
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Defining moment for me the home goal and that stunning volley
Chrisr likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..