Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By VALAIRIAN
  • 1 Post By Redraine
  • 1 Post By bdc
  • 5 Post By smobile

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2013, 19:01   #1
God Member

Exclamation Delusions of Grandeur......

For me, some of the problems that are apparent today, stem from what was one of our best starts to a season in the Football League - see table below.

Last updated 30 Sept. 2012 00:00 UK

Psn Team Pld GD Points

1 Gillingham 9 12 22
2 Port Vale 9 11 19
3 Fleetwood 9 6 17
4 Accrington 9 4 17
5 Exeter 9 5 16
6 Bradford 9 5 16
7 Rochdale 9 2 15
8 Cheltenham 9 1 15

After those heady heights, to say the wheels have come off is an understatement....... But, season after season, we have been biting our nails in late March, even early April, waiting/hoping for the league table to show that we would be playing league footy again.

If we had been guaranteed 31 pts, from 30 games at the start of the season, most of us would have taken it - 6 wins from 16, would see us through.

But, we had 17 pts, from 9 games and we were heading for League 1, or at a minimum play-offs......

We have lost our manager and had to change many personnel, also lost an inspired goalkeeper, but that is all part of the game.

The team need to dig deep and grind out the results and we need to back them all the way, as we can make a difference.

Easy to say, I know, but I feel we have enough about us to see this through, then at the end of the season, we can all look back and take some learning from the hard times this season.

In Leam, we must trust - he will come good for us.

He was and still is our choice, so let's get behind him on Saturday and get the first of those 6 wins...........

ON STANLEY ON

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-02-2013, 19:16   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Delusions of Grandeur......

Agreed, but there are fewer and fewer of us left to get behind the lads as a result of a succession of defeats at home. I think we should make the Southend game a REAL "loss leader" and make a flat 5 quid entrance fee and free for kids, which surely would help to generate a better atmosphere. Just look at Morecambe, who have not looked back since they made their big statement with their free entry game not so long ago. Desperate times require desperate remedies.
Outback Ozzy likes this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 21:07   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
For me, some of the problems that are apparent today, stem from what was one of our best starts to a season in the Football League - see table below.

Last updated 30 Sept. 2012 00:00 UK

Psn Team Pld GD Points

1 Gillingham 9 12 22
2 Port Vale 9 11 19
3 Fleetwood 9 6 17
4 Accrington 9 4 17
5 Exeter 9 5 16
6 Bradford 9 5 16
7 Rochdale 9 2 15
8 Cheltenham 9 1 15

After those heady heights, to say the wheels have come off is an understatement....... But, season after season, we have been biting our nails in late March, even early April, waiting/hoping for the league table to show that we would be playing league footy again.

If we had been guaranteed 31 pts, from 30 games at the start of the season, most of us would have taken it - 6 wins from 16, would see us through.

But, we had 17 pts, from 9 games and we were heading for League 1, or at a minimum play-offs......

We have lost our manager and had to change many personnel, also lost an inspired goalkeeper, but that is all part of the game.

The team need to dig deep and grind out the results and we need to back them all the way, as we can make a difference.

Easy to say, I know, but I feel we have enough about us to see this through, then at the end of the season, we can all look back and take some learning from the hard times this season.

In Leam, we must trust - he will come good for us.

He was and still is our choice, so let's get behind him on Saturday and get the first of those 6 wins...........

ON STANLEY ON

yes dreamland, some wonderful results from the early part of the season, I still remember looking at the stats on some of those wins and wondering how we ended up winning, away game at result Southend 0 Stanley 1 shots on goal Southend 20 Stanley 4 ect.
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 21:09   #4
bdc

We had 17 points from the first 9 games and since then we have picked up only 14 points in the next 21 games, which is pretty much half a season. We only have 15 games left so to win 6 games in that space of time would take some doing, especially given we have 3 of the top 7 to play in our next 3 fixtures. The one thing that was always consistent in previous seasons was our ability to win at home, this season the results have been better away from home and that is a serious worry for me.

I honestly don't believe there is the fight there from the players to keep us up this season, we are in the sort of form that got Macclesfield relegated last season. They got onto a terrible run of form that they couldn't shake and losing became the norm for them, this is what is happening to us and we have to get into a mini unbeaten run fast or we will be going down.

I honestly think we are lacking a leader on the pitch and could really do with someone to step up to the plate and give us some leadership on the pitch. I think the closest player we have to this is Dean Winnard so I think giving him the captaincy would be an idea to consider. Desperate times call for radical solutions so a change in a captaincy may help us to invoke a better spirit on the pitch. I also think we could really do with bringing in another striker to offer something different as we really are struggling for goals.

The players and the manager have talked about putting in performances and getting results but the reality of this is that it has all been talk so far and very little of it shown on the pitch. The only game recently where they raised their game was against Chesterfield where they felt they had a point to prove. If we treat all games like this, then the players would be fired up in a way that would result in good performances on the pitch.

I don't think in anyway we should change manager as I think it would be stupid and would destabilise the club, plus its not the right way to treat Leam.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 21:12   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
plus its not the right way to treat Leam.
Wonder how many of those who slagged off Cook for his loyalty have called for the club to show no loyalty to Leam
Old 06-02-2013, 21:30   #6
Senior Member+

Sheffield Wednesday showed loyalty to Dave Jones when a lot of fans were calling for his head and look at the run they are on now.

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:23   #7
Resting in Peace

Lets just hope the the end to the season is as good as the beginning and things will be okay
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:48   #8
God Member

[QUOTE=bdc;1040911]
....we ...could really do with someone to step up to the plate and give us some leadership on the pitch. I think the closest player we have to this is Dean Winnard so I think giving him the captaincy would be an idea to consider. Desperate times call for radical solutions so a change in a captaincy may help us to invoke a better spirit on the pitch. I also think we could really do with bringing in another striker to offer something different as we really are struggling for goals. QUOTE]

I only know the personalities of the players from their performances, and there can be but an entirely impression given in the dressing room and on the practice pitch. But Mr Winnard was made captain when Messrs Coleman and Proctor departed and I thought he made a good fist of it. I've presumed it was his absence with injury that lost him the captaincy, and not some other reason. I've also wondered whether Mr Murphy might make a suitable captain. But I'd imagine the manager would know best who is or is not a leader.
As to strikers, another would be great but, as Mr Beattie has shown, an individual striker is only as good as the service he gets. It might be quicker and less costly if the three strikers we have could get some better service from the wings.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 16:08   #9

[QUOTE=Exile on Spencer St;1040966]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
....we ...could really do with someone to step up to the plate and give us some leadership on the pitch. I think the closest player we have to this is Dean Winnard so I think giving him the captaincy would be an idea to consider. Desperate times call for radical solutions so a change in a captaincy may help us to invoke a better spirit on the pitch. I also think we could really do with bringing in another striker to offer something different as we really are struggling for goals. QUOTE]

I only know the personalities of the players from their performances, and there can be but an entirely impression given in the dressing room and on the practice pitch. But Mr Winnard was made captain when Messrs Coleman and Proctor departed and I thought he made a good fist of it. I've presumed it was his absence with injury that lost him the captaincy, and not some other reason. I've also wondered whether Mr Murphy might make a suitable captain. But I'd imagine the manager would know best who is or is not a leader.
As to strikers, another would be great but, as Mr Beattie has shown, an individual striker is only as good as the service he gets. It might be quicker and less costly if the three strikers we have could get some better service from the wings.
All Mr Beattie has shown is a striker is as good as his ability to outrun a lamp post .
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:42   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF
All Mr Beattie has shown is a striker is as good as his ability to outrun a lamp post .
Who do reckon would win over 100m, Beattie or Adebayo Akinfenwa?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:00   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Who do reckon would win over 100m, Beattie or Adebayo Akinfenwa?
Probably the lamp post
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:10   #12
God Member

you can buy stanley tickets with your tesco club points, maybe some horse meat will speed him up..
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43   #13
Senior Member+

Liam Richardson as manager = sleep walk into the non league
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 19:09   #14

Good job we have LEAM Richardson as manager then
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..