Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2005, 12:31   #1

Dierctions to the Crown Ground...

Hello all,

Could someone please give me directions to the Crown Ground from the train station, please?... I'd be most appreciative.

Also, I know that Accrington Stanley inherited the ground in 1968, and played their first game there in 1970, but can anybody tell me the year it was built and who first played there?

Any other old facts about the ground would also be greatly appreciated, I'm researching the history of non-league football grounds for an online directory of grounds, in the future.

Also, could someone please tell me how long a bus from the train station (Ellison Street) takes to get to the crown pub stop?

Thanks very much

Regards,

Matt

Last edited by guidetothenonleague; 27-05-2005 at 12:44.
guidetothenonleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2005, 13:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Dierctions to the Crown Ground...

http://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/i...lub/ground.htm

Try this link on the main site.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 13:44   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

when you at accy station matt? if at all possible i will run you to the crown ground,dont think you can get bus direct from station.send me a pm if you wish.
Old 27-05-2005, 14:08   #4

Accrington is a fair old step for me, but thanks for the offer. I need the details for a website I'm currently setting up all about non-league grounds and the extract from this site will do fine (just wondering how I missed it now)

Now all I need is a summary of the history of the ground...

Thanks for all your help,

Matt
guidetothenonleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 14:23   #5
Super Moderator

Matt, the ground is no longer called the Crown - it's actually the Interlink Express Stadium. It was originally just a basic pitch with a fence around it and a wooden pavillion. Before Stanley took it over, it was used by a works team from Ewbank - a local company who made a well-known brand of carpet sweeper. A small wooden stand was built before Stanley's first game in 1970 and since then, various improvements have taken place including redraining the pitch, building dressing rooms, new stands and terracing. Information about all this can be found in Phil Kelly's Stanley book which is available from the club shop.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2005, 15:22   #6
God Member

excellent response... i didnt know the original bit and ewbank
Old 27-05-2005, 22:39   #7
I am Banned

Re: Directions to the Crown Ground...

Matt, it's so easy it's frightening. 1) BY FOOT - You get off the train at Accy and look at the big viaduct. Walk out of the station and negotiate the traffic to the other side of the viaduct. Turn left, uphill, at the main road (Whalley Rd - if feeling insecure,just ask and a friendly local will confirm that you're in the right place), and walk to the top of the hill. Go across a set of lights , then across a mini-roundabout complex, and 100 yds to just before the Crown Inn. You'll see the brown ASFC sign pointing to the right at Livingstone Rd ; we'll all be waiting to greet you !

2) BY BUS - Alight from the train and look across the aforementioned viaduct. If the rail tracks are on your Right, cross over the footbridge. If the tracks are on your Left, you're in the right place. Exit past the Car Park and left downhill for 50 yards. Turn right on the town's "Main Drag" and walk 150 yds to the Town Hall on your left. Just after that is the Bus Station where you can board a 6, 7 or (6a/7a) Hyndburn Circular. Ask for the Crown Inn. Alight from the bus, cross the road and walk through the pub car park and down the steps. You're there !

3) BY TAXI - When you get off the train, look across the (by now,boring) viaduct. If the rail tracks are on your Left, cross over the footbridge. If the tracks are on your Right, you're in the right place. Exit the station, and the first building on your right is a taxi firm. Done !

Last edited by Henry Morton; 27-05-2005 at 22:44. Reason: Too many viaducts
Henry Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 00:40   #8
God Member

henry..the guys already thanked us for the ones on the official website.. he seems quite happy with them as are many thousands of visitors to the interlink..... but good effort in repeating the information ... waste of time as he already has them but good effort
Old 28-05-2005, 19:10   #9
Senior Member+

Re: Directions to the Crown Ground...

Matt, don't forget to let us have the site's address when it's up and running!
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2005, 19:33   #10
Senior Member+

follow the mass crowds!!
Old 31-05-2005, 07:27   #11
Super Moderator

I'd like to know more about the history of the ground in the pre-Stanley era. I actually played golf on the hallowed turf once!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..