Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-05-2017, 18:38   #16
God Member

Re: Diving

But Barrie, I don't believe "the slightest nudge" is a foul.
The way some players appear to talk is that they feel fully justified in falling down if a defender even so much as brushes a finger against them. Such peripheral contact, in what remains a game that allows 'fair' contact (shoulder charge, anyone?), should not be used as an excuse for a full length, arms outstretched, mouth-gaping dive. That's cheating, and pathetic in grown children.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-05-2017, 18:53   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
If the FA are to use any 'Teaching Videos' then they must surely watch some of the famous......
RORY PRENDERGAST........
Diver extraordinaire!
Ha, ha - yeah bless him, Rory did it so well & (as Kenny Everett would say), always in the best possible taste
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 19:07   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Don't matter to me WHO does it, its cheating end of.
Old 21-05-2017, 20:52   #19
Full Member+

The problem is the refs very rarely give free kicks for penal fouls if a player doesn't go to ground, if they stay on their feet off balance and lose the ball due to someone kicking lumps out of them the ref tens to play on.
monkey hanger likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 20:55   #20
God Member

So, if we can just get refs to distinguish between "kicking lumps out of someone" and "the slightest nudge" things should be OK.
Old 21-05-2017, 21:13   #21

I assume if there is any contact at all then it's not a dive.

if there is none then it's a dive? BUT Even if the ref thinks there was no contact (i.e. Gives benefit of doubt to defender) he can still give benefit of doubt to attacker re sending off? "Beyond reasonable doubt"?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:03   #22
God Member

[QUOTE=Chewbacca;1194675]The problem is the refs very rarely give free kicks for penal fouls if a player doesn't go to ground,

probebly due to the fact if you do give a penalty without the player going to the ground after a trip or foul tackle you get so much grief in all levels of football you,re loathed to do it again. done it on occasions but usually end up with a few cautioned for dissent.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 08:42   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I assume if there is any contact at all then it's not a dive
It surely depends on the definition of "contact".
I've heard professional players on the radio appearing to justify going to ground if they so much as feel any touch anywhere on their bodies. A brush against their arms, a "slight nudge" as someone else suggested.
Having been tripped up many a time on the hallowed turf that was Highams, my unscientific acid test is that any player who has time to stretch out his arms and scream in false agony is, more than likely, play-acting.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:25   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
It surely depends on the definition of "contact".
my unscientific acid test is that any player who has time to stretch out his arms and scream in false agony is, more than likely, play-acting.
that,s totally true exile. just tripped up over a stone this morning on the moors with my dog and only he knew what happened. no screaming and used my left hand to break my fall. apart from franny lee years ago all this diving and going down easy seems a fairly modern import from the continent.
Old 22-05-2017, 10:13   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
... just tripped up over a stone this morning on the moors with my dog and only he knew what happened....
And I bet your dog 'played on'?
Old 22-05-2017, 10:16   #26
God Member

Quote:
but the stone got a retrospective 6 game ban.
Old 22-05-2017, 19:30   #27
Senior Member+

There's no such thing as "diving", if a player lays down because he's tired, just leave him there and get on with it, if he has a broken leg I suppose the game should stop. I remember playing in the 60s, if a player went down for nothing you just notified him that next time he would would have a reason to go down.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 22:44   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:

Sounds like the Dog could make a better referee than some of those we have seen in League Two over the last couple of seasons!
Or is that a bit "wough" on referees?
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 06:11   #29
God Member

Now you really are barking, Choirboy.
Revived Red likes this.
Old 23-05-2017, 07:45   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Now you really are barking, Choirboy.
Now let's not hound people when they post a comment.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..