Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2016, 22:31   #46

Re: EFL Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Perhaps the Man Utd Academy starlets are frightened of playing a real game and getting their knees muddy?
So will they invite Burnley Academy?
Or perhaps they saw that they would have to open old Trafford for a few dozen people and realised how bonkers an idea it is.

Yes, it would be great to see accy there but to play at their main stadium is lunacy from a cost perspective. An irrelevant competition outwith the last couple of rounds at the best of times but now it's just crazy. Still not as daft as what we have up here by inviting Irish and Welsh clubs too but heading that way.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2016, 07:41   #47

I think Liverpool have turned down the invitation too.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:15   #48
Full Member+

If the whole point of the invited teams is to bring through the best of young English talent, yet some of the big named teams (who in theory should have the best youngsters in their development squads) turn it down, then what's the point in this reformat?

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:34   #49
God Member

over the years they have tried different formats of the paint pot or tin pot trophy and nothing has really worked. best thing to do with it is put it to bed with the anglo italian competition, full members cup and other competitions dreamed up on the back of a fag packet over the last few years. make reserve and youth football more competitive as it used to be and leave div.1 and 2 clubs alone. we don,t want to be used as premier league fodder.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:03   #50
God Member

Reveals just how disconnected is the administration of English football.
At one end there is a self-serving global corporations, built on debt and/or dodgy foreign investment (aka tax avoidance) , and at the other a retirement home for men with blazers.
In the middle, trying to survive despite the Premier League and FA, are most of the other clubs and their fans.
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 21:07   #51
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Bradford EFL Cup tie ? Accrington Stanley FC Seems a bit pricy.
Old 07-07-2016, 22:31   #52
God Member

As far as giving the chance for decent fixtures to the youngsters, I cant understand why they cant have a reserve league that runs alongside the real leagues, playing the opposite fixture (reserves at home when 1st team away etc). If home reserve matches were included in the cost of season tickets ( free) then they MAY get some kind of attendances
Old 07-07-2016, 22:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
As far as giving the chance for decent fixtures to the youngsters, I cant understand why they cant have a reserve league that runs alongside the real leagues, playing the opposite fixture (reserves at home when 1st team away etc). If home reserve matches were included in the cost of season tickets ( free) then they MAY get some kind of attendances
This used to happen many years ago in Scotland. I can remember going to reserve games at ibrox in the eighties for free with my season ticket in reverse games with crowds over 10000 for big games and often in the top three biggest crowds of the day.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 00:12   #54
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

The Central League http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A7x9U...pEQxidd.kSxw0-
Old 08-07-2016, 07:32   #55
Senior Member+

I see that groups are made up of 4 teams that is 3 teams from league 2 & 3 plus 1 invited team from the premier league.
Previously it was agreed the invited teams would have just 3 players over 21 plus a goalkeeper now that has been upgraded to 5 over 21s.
So by round 2 of this competition it will most likely be 16 invited premier teams & 16 teams from league 2 & 3 if the premier league clubs.
Just how is this an attractive format for lower league clubs, don’t think I’ll bother to watch the primo-donnas contest the final
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:40   #56

Rumours now that Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs are refusing the invitations. Apparently nobody has made the refusal official yet (including Man U & Liverpool) but the whole thing looks to be on shaky ground at the moment.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
This used to happen many years ago in Scotland. I can remember going to reserve games at ibrox in the eighties for free with my season ticket in reverse games with crowds over 10000 for big games and often in the top three biggest crowds of the day.
used to happen in england too. there were various leagues throughout the country, including the central league, football combination down south, northern league for teams in the north east , cheshire league and i may be wrong but wasn,t there a lancashire combination or such for non league sides. they were all very competitive with teams made up of squad players and youth team players getting a chance. things changed for some reason in the 90,s when they were more like friendly games. you could watch your side every saturday, with 1st team one week and the stiffs the next. good old days before the diaticians and fitness coaches got their power.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:02   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
IN 62 when Stanley folded i went to blackburn and had a season ticket, reserve games there were free with em back then quite a few of us used to go so reckon it would help attendances.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:43   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
IN 62 when Stanley folded i went to blackburn and had a season ticket, reserve games there were free with em back then quite a few of us used to go so reckon it would help attendances.
it,s a good way to introduce kids to going to games as well. more space for them to move about without anoying other fans. my first game was hartlepools reserves with a few hundred there so didn,t have to get in early to get to the front to see.
cashman likes this.
Old 08-07-2016, 19:32   #60
Senior Member+

Seems the FA have created a bit of a Google Page Ranking and logistical nightmare

Mind you it's the same people who gave the yes man Hodgson a job, so it's not a shock they can't organise their own football trophy competition
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..