Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2018, 19:39   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Eric Whalley Stand

Agree entirely me Lord.There would NOT be a club now but for Ilyas Khan.
Old 21-09-2018, 17:02   #17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
And Peter Marsden;

He was the "doer" in the background that kept EVERY body working in the right direction; plus he understands the footballing side of ASFC.

His decision to bring back Coley and Jimmy.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 18:40   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
And Peter Marsden;

He was the "doer" in the background that kept EVERY body working in the right direction; plus he understands the footballing side of ASFC.

Think most people are aware of what P.M. did for the club, which can never be underestimated, my comment was in response to a comment that to me was a gross insult to Ilyas,
chevyfire likes this.
Old 21-09-2018, 20:21   #19
God Member

Smile Re: Eric Whalley Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
And Peter Marsden;

Not wrong there mate!!!
Oldgobbin, yonmon and sherry like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:11   #20
Full Member+

At the end of the day the bottom line is without ERIC there would not have been any of the others.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2018, 10:35   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
At the end of the day the bottom line is without ERIC there would not have been any of the others.
I don't think anyone would argue about that.
Old 22-09-2018, 10:49   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I don't think anyone would argue about that.
True but its no excuse to decry Ilyas.
Old 22-09-2018, 11:04   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
True but its no excuse to decry Ilyas.
Or that!!
Old 22-09-2018, 17:12   #24
God Member

Educated opinion regarding the Ilyas 'slur' ... Ilyas didnt just throw his money into the pit like many of us did, or might have done. He put his money in via director loans to protect not only his money, but also protect the club from profiteers that may have surfaced had administration occurred.

ASFC was worth nothing. It was a failing business with only a meagre amount of assets. In theory it could have been sold by a third party to anyone who could pass the Fit and Proper test (think Morecambe). The mere fact that IK had hundreds of thousands of pounds held against the club wouldve prevented the fire sale - but his money was still at risk if the club just folded.

Im going to have to play dot to dot now as I had no insight or knowledge beyond the Save Accrington Stanley Committee. Along came Andy Holt with his purse and a willingness to save the club. I assume he had a small purchase price in mind based on the nominal value of the club. I imagine IK refused to budge from what he was owed? Perhaps this is why Ilyas was in it for Ilyas? I dont know if anything remains on the balance sheet in the form of cash or shares, or whether Andy just wanted a blank cheque style clear slate.

Regards Eric, once any rawness of opinion has gone the history books will tell you that he was the man who navigated us to unfathomable heights. Unfortunately the buuld it and they will come dream didnt come to pass. He had neglected the behind the scenes side to such an extent that only a big slab of money could rescue us from.

What muddies his waters was the involvement of Dave O'Neil. Quite what tbe truth was here may never be known but I dont think Ilyas' team of forensic accountants ever unravelled it entirely. I think that whatever was going on (and there are theories) WAS for the benefit of ASFC however unpalatable that might have been. This entire last paragraph is only opinion, conjecture and rumour though. Dozens of people have their own thoughts and an inner circle may know the truth, but as it is only 'make believe' then my opinion of him will weigh on the side of the history books. John Coleman isnt seen by everyone as the Man of the Year, but he's still the greatest manager this club has ever had - Eric deserves the same recognition.
Old 22-09-2018, 19:47   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Educated opinion regarding the Ilyas 'slur' ... Ilyas didnt just throw his money into the pit like many of us did, or might have done. He put his money in via director loans to protect not only his money, but also protect the club from profiteers that may have surfaced had administration occurred.

ASFC was worth nothing. It was a failing business with only a meagre amount of assets. In theory it could have been sold by a third party to anyone who could pass the Fit and Proper test (think Morecambe). The mere fact that IK had hundreds of thousands of pounds held against the club wouldve prevented the fire sale - but his money was still at risk if the club just folded.

Im going to have to play dot to dot now as I had no insight or knowledge beyond the Save Accrington Stanley Committee. Along came Andy Holt with his purse and a willingness to save the club. I assume he had a small purchase price in mind based on the nominal value of the club. I imagine IK refused to budge from what he was owed? Perhaps this is why Ilyas was in it for Ilyas? I dont know if anything remains on the balance sheet in the form of cash or shares, or whether Andy just wanted a blank cheque style clear slate.

Regards Eric, once any rawness of opinion has gone the history books will tell you that he was the man who navigated us to unfathomable heights. Unfortunately the buuld it and they will come dream didnt come to pass. He had neglected the behind the scenes side to such an extent that only a big slab of money could rescue us from.

What muddies his waters was the involvement of Dave O'Neil. Quite what tbe truth was here may never be known but I dont think Ilyas' team of forensic accountants ever unravelled it entirely. I think that whatever was going on (and there are theories) WAS for the benefit of ASFC however unpalatable that might have been. This entire last paragraph is only opinion, conjecture and rumour though. Dozens of people have their own thoughts and an inner circle may know the truth, but as it is only 'make believe' then my opinion of him will weigh on the side of the history books. John Coleman isnt seen by everyone as the Man of the Year, but he's still the greatest manager this club has ever had - Eric deserves the same recognition.
Come on Rob, your post is reasonable, balanced and well-argued, and where you aren't sure of your facts you're prepared to admit it. Something like that's not really suitable for publishing on AccyWeb, is it?
Old 22-09-2018, 21:35   #26
God Member

There's always room for a first time n'est pas?
Old 28-09-2018, 14:24   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
So instead of the seats saying Stanley - they could have said Whalley ?
Same number of letters.
I cant see there being a sign above the stand for it to be named looking at the photos.
Quote:
Would the roof not have to be on before a sign could be fixed?
There go, its being put on today, Yeh dont know it all
Old 28-09-2018, 16:18   #28
Full Member+

It's on and looks good.
Old 28-09-2018, 16:25   #29
Full Member+

Stanley fans can watch Tues nights game from the new Eric Whalley stand if they so wish.
Old 28-09-2018, 16:50   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Yep but i'm a Clayton Ender until i cant stand any more.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..