Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2017, 05:12   #46

Re: Exeter and the game that never was

Exeter fans forum is generally a moan fest as you might expect. No one doubts we were the better team and one fan singled out MCartan and Rodgers as "everything we were not".

See there's some murmurings of playoff possibilities from our fans now. I consider myself to be an optimist but it's not going to happen. We need to win 9 out of the last 12 games. Not a chance.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2017, 06:26   #47
I am Banned

Matty p's goal was our 700th in the league
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:41   #48
God Member

never saw that result coming. if we can win at exeter then anything can happen between now and the end of the season. just keep winning thats all starting next tuesday night.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:44   #49

With reference billy kee being a shadow of what he was last season. I think it is fair to say he hasn't hit last year's standards but he is still as playing as good as some of our better football league strikers such Paul mullin(always), Michael Sykes (2009/10) and Terry gornell (2010/11 version)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
AccyMad likes this.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:08   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Not having that ...... it wasn't working (again) and second half we looked much better - and balanced.
I was surprised he started and predicted a change.
You're seriously saying Sean Clare was lying about coming off because he was injured?
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:24   #51
Senior Member+

Great result and from the start I said we were a top ten team and I haven't changed my mind!.
Now we have started to keep clean sheets,the points are following KTF
AccyMad, yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:02   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
You're seriously saying Sean Clare was lying about coming off because he was injured?
Why did everybody else say it was tactical ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:28   #53
God Member

I've no idea what everybody else thought or said about the change, was just going off the comment from Sean on twitter 'gutted to come off injured but great result today' & when someone said in an earlier post that was the case, you responded with 'i'm not having that, it wasn't working' so presumed you knew differently?
The change may well have happened anyway, I'm guessing only Coley & Jimmy know that for sure
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 13:00   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
Why did everybody else say it was tactical ?
Who is everybody else? The posts on here from those at the match seem to suggest that Clare had a decent first half.
Any opinion on here is just that and, despite what you may think, yours is no more or less valid than anyone else's.
However, getting back to praise rather than criticism, one big improvement I noticed yesterday was how wide Stanley's attackers were. It was great to see both McConville and Clare out wide in the first half and receiving cross-field balls hit behind Exeter's defence.
AccyMad, Revived Red and yonmon like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 13:39   #55

Re long ball to wingers:
Radio Devon picked up in this and commented that Accrington were more direct than they expected with centre halves often bypassing midfield and hitting wingers direct..Their take was that this caught Exeter out as they had set out expecting usual tippy tappy Accy.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 14:31   #56

I thought at the last match we were getting down the wings better (something that chrisr (I think?) was pleading for earlier in the season).

Also, huge bug bears of mine used to be the wastage of ballooned free kicks and ineffective corners. Clearly that's sorted too.

I know naff all about football management but I'd say it's probably hard work, some trial and error and perseverance to get things right (otherwise every team would just be brilliant at everything).

I feel chuffed for Coleman for seemingly getting things to click into place. And for us too, because the criticism is generally born of impotent frustration and wanting things to go well.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 16:18   #57

Re Long ball to the wings
Coley sugests in his post match that he wasn't happy with distribution from the back and that they conceded posession too.

While we may have sacrificed possession did we gain an incisive edge to our attack?
Or is Coley bluffing and has secretly developed Plan B?
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 18:39   #58
Senior Member+

I posted a little while ago elsewhere that The Reds although having the players were not performing as a Team .

It seems that it's just taken a little longer this time round for JC to work his own particular brand of magic to achieve that which I was bemoaning !.

This special touch, plus one or two new faces has certainly made me sit up and applaud the change which he has wrought, a situation which I am certain is not mine alone !.

All that matters now is that our Team find the motivation and effort to sustain this remarkable turnaround and continue to provide us with that certain something which makes us happy and proud to be fans of Accrington Stanley !.

KTF.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 18:39   #59
Senior Member+

In the first half, almost every time that Rodgers had the ball, he was looking for a long crossfield pass to McConville. It certainly looked a deliberate ploy to me. Sometimes it worked, sometimes the full back intercepted. Quite honestly, I would much rather we gave the ball away deep in the opposition half than in our own half with too much intricate tippy tappy.
yonmon and monkey hanger like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 18:46   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Morse View Post
Re Long ball to the wings
Coley sugests in his post match that he wasn't happy with distribution from the back and that they conceded posession too.

While we may have sacrificed possession did we gain an incisive edge to our attack?
Or is Coley bluffing and has secretly developed Plan B?
Plan B doesn't work !..... never does for me anyway !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..