Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2017, 20:28   #1

Exeter and the game that never was

I see from twitter it's 55 years this weekend that Stanley should have played Exeter.

Anyway, unless Somerset pops up before tomorrow I think we can be sure this one is going ahead.

Can't see us losing. Expecting a narrow victory. I'm waiting for Twenty Eight to tell us the team, but I expect Beckles returning will be the only change. Who will make way? Harvey I suspect - although I hope not.

Anyone going? I'm away but hoping to get to the Cremonese game tomorrow afternoon if I can persuade Er Indoors that she needs her fix of lower league footy.

AccyMad and Stevie R like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2017, 07:09   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Exeter and the game that never was

Has anyone at the club thought of making a bit of cash by selling tickets for it?
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:42   #3
Senior Member+

That handsome young man could be a teenage 'Cashman' on his way to the Peel Park Hotel to drown his sorrows after the club Resignation!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:04   #4

No wonder they went out of business charging two and a tanner to get in. Surely two bob would have been enough to have them flocking back
AccyMad, Stevie R and Chrisr like this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:31   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
No wonder they went out of business charging two and a tanner to get in. Surely two bob would have been enough to have them flocking back
If i remember right, we were averaging just oer 3000 at home back then, so how the hell we have survived this time is a miracle to me.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If i remember right, we were averaging just oer 3000 at home back then, so how the hell we have survived this time is a miracle to me.
I think times have changed in the way debt affects clubs. If what happened in 62 had happened under today's conditions people would probably have rallied round quicker given better communications and social media. Plus debt seems easier to get rid of through administration and CVA.

However crowds were probably bigger because there was sod all else to do. I was born the year after and it wasn't a problem that there was only 2 or 3 tv channels because I was 6 before we had a tv.

A foreign holiday was visiting my gran in Clayton le Moors which did sound a bit foreign .

Now I've got more TVs than I can watch at once with more channels than I can shake a stick at and can watch games from all the top leagues in europe live if I put my mind to it.

As far as holidays go, the season Rangers reached the final of the UEFA cup I was abroad 11 times or 12 if I count the final to. Strangely enough we stayed in Clayton le Moors for that too although poor gran had long since passed away.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:46   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

You were posh, i was around 12/13 before we had a telly. but must agree Clayton-le Moors aint english, lol
Old 11-03-2017, 12:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
You were posh, i was around 12/13 before we had a telly. but must agree Clayton-le Moors aint english, lol
No just younger . We got our first black and white tv in 1969 and we were lucky because we could get all three channels but some in the town could only get 2
Old 11-03-2017, 12:58   #9
God Member

Oy, less of the digs at Clayton-le-Moors thank you! I grew up there & there's nowt wrong with me -
sherry and st06nc2 like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 13:14   #10

Unchanged side for Stanley today

Stanley team: Rodak, Pearson, Hughes, Rodgers, Donacien, Clare, Brown, Conneely, McConville, McCartan, Kee

Stanley subs: Chapman, Davies, Beckles, Clark, Gornell, Husin, Edwards
AccyMad likes this.
Old 11-03-2017, 13:30   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thought Beckles would be back, but suppose its hard to change a defence that conceded sod all last match.
Old 11-03-2017, 14:04   #12
Senior Member+

Mmmmm Clare ....... will he do 90 ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:17   #13
I am Banned

1-0 McCarten free kick
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:19   #14
I am Banned

4 goals in last 6 games, 3 of them free kicks
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:22   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Shay can certainly take a good free kick.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..