Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2016, 19:17   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Exeter City Match Thread

'Twas a very disappointing result today!
For me the first half was like a preseason friendly!......apart from a mini wrestling match between Pearson and their No 8 Simpson for which they both got booked!........ In the first half there was lots of pretty football played by us and very little threat from an Exeter side, who played like they were expecting to lose!
I remember thinking, after about 25 minutes, that we needed a player to come out and 'take the match by the scruff of the neck'! Whoever that was supposed to be I am afraid to say that he remained hidden!
Before half time Exeter grew in confidence even though we should have been a couple of goals to the good.
Exeter came out after half time with a more positive and confident approach and gradually took charge of the game. Up to when the goals came Stanley had played some quite good passing football from the back but two thirds of the way up the pitch we seemed to simply have no guile or creativity or determination to get behind their defence!
We had made scoring chances but I cannot recall a single shot at their goal from outside their penalty box! Then of course, the first shot that they had from distance flew into the bottom corner to put them one up! Eagles came on and we quickly responded with a well constructed equaliser and I thought then that we were going to blow them away. However we gave them a real birthday present with no one marking their lad at the far post! We struggled to put any passes together from then on and the game got rather ragged! Not helped by some pretty inept refereeing once again! Their No 8 Simpson should have been sent off for a wild kick from behind on Pearson but he didn't even get a talking to!
Our corners were poor from MaConville, all just chipped in towards the far post, which to me puts them up to be a 50/50 ball at best. I would rather see them driven in really hard at head height or put in with some kind of a tactical plan, like the step over corner from a few seasons ago which yielded quite a number of goals! Similarly our free kicks posed no threat. They were either hit over the cross bar or again just chipped in to the far post. Have the lads actually been practicing any free kick variations in training?
A few things stuck out to me today;
.......A lack of drive from midfield which Windass gave us last season.
.......A lack of shots from outside the box. I cannot recall one today!
.......Neither of our 'Wingers' got round their full backs to the goal line...... my favourite move!
.......A lack of back up for "Billy No Mates Up Front!"
.......Dare I say it, apart from Matty Pearson, ...... a lack of real passion!

Opening the second bottle of Merlot now...............................
AccyMad, yonmon, sherry and 1 others like this.

Last edited by choirboy; 20-08-2016 at 19:19.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2016, 19:24   #17
God Member

Disappointing performance today, we had spells that were ok but a lot of work to do. Hope those whose thoughts were elsewhere were thinking more of the Morecambe game next Saturday rather than the Burnley cup game as that is our bread & butter game - would be nice to beat the Clarets & progress but league games must come first.
Not going to single anyone out for criticism but some need to really pull their socks up & play for the team rather than for themselves
KiTChener, cashman, yonmon and 2 others like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 19:47   #18
Senior Member+

ps. I forgot to mention a superb save by Chapman form an Exeter free kick in the first half down at the far Coppice End from us. It was clearly going into the bottom right hand corner with some swerve and pace but Chapman got down beautifully at full length using his height to tip it away!
Old 20-08-2016, 19:49   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Disappointing performance today, we had spells that were ok but a lot of work to do. Hope those whose thoughts were elsewhere were thinking more of the Morecambe game next Saturday rather than the Burnley cup game as that is our bread & butter game - would be nice to beat the Clarets & progress but league games must come first.
Not going to single anyone out for criticism but some need to really pull their socks up & play for the team rather than for themselves
Perhaps they need to watch a video of the Great Britain Women's Hockey Team to see total passion, great teamwork and work rate?!
AccyMad, KiTChener, yonmon and 2 others like this.
Old 20-08-2016, 20:04   #20
Full Member+

Part of the problem is the managers reluctance to change players who go missing. He leaves the subs until it is too late to really effective. I was suprised Bill Kee was kept on as long as he was, I am a fan of Billy's but hes is not fully fit and when he takes a heavy knock they should take him off. he was a passenger for most of the match today. but why do we keep playing as a lone striker? we need a plan B.
KiTChener likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 20:07   #21
God Member

It just seemed so far away from the gutsy performances against Doncaster & Bradford - maybe we underestimated Exeter but with respect to them i don't think it was their performance that was our undoing, more our own although in second half the ref didn't help we can't lay the blame wholly at his door either - need to definitely do better & if we beat Morecambe next week I'm sure all will be forgiven
KiTChener likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 20:29   #22

First game for me at the new refurbished Clayton end and what a great improvement achieved in such a short space of time. A credit to all involved at the club. Hopefully a few so so fans will be encouraged to come more when they see the change on Wednesday. The game didn't live up to these new improved surroundings.We lacked as others have said someone to take it by the scruff of the neck. Who can be the next crooks, Mingoia, Ryan or molyneux(first year) and make things happen. Early days though and historical we have got better as the season goes on.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 20:29   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I'm also a big Billy Kee fan, but today when MOM was announced, i thought the comedians had come back.
Old 20-08-2016, 20:31   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Perhaps they need to watch a video of the Great Britain Women's Hockey Team to see total passion, great teamwork and work rate?!
OUCH
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 20:59   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Part of the problem is the managers reluctance to change players who go missing. He leaves the subs until it is too late to really effective. I was suprised Bill Kee was kept on as long as he was, I am a fan of Billy's but hes is not fully fit and when he takes a heavy knock they should take him off. he was a passenger for most of the match today. but why do we keep playing as a lone striker? we need a plan B.
i love john coleman, but i have to agree substitutions and being pro active with personnel changes are not his strong point.
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 21:01   #26

I think I understand why Johno is stuck at this level. He doesn't seem to be able to bring others into play around the box. He takes too many touches and is either easily closed down or fails to get a decent cross in. Compared to Eagles, who doesn't show the same hunger for the ball but will bring others into play and therefore moves the ball faster than defenders can move. We created enough chances in the first half to win the game, and as goals change games......Exeter heads would have dropped and probably lost the game. Funny old game football. I was also surprised, subs weren't made sooner and didn't involve Rommy. I thought Clarke had a good game. We missed the drive and tenacity of Scotty Brown. Our best eleven is no doubt good enough to compete with any team in league 2, but it depends if we can keep them all fit and available to play. Last, Exeter defended well in the first half and would have been happy with a draw. We couldn't break them down and they took the few chances they created in the second half. I think their manager did more than our manager with less on the day. Still we move onto Burnley on Wednesday.......... but I hope we save something for Saturday and the Shrimps.......a more important game in my eyes!
AccyMad and cashman like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 07:54   #27
God Member

what a waste of time, effort and a gallon of diesel yesterday was. as someone else said the first half was like a pre season game and the second not much better from our point of view. you could see their goals coming and billy needs help up front sooner than later. too many similar type of player signed for me. knowing football however its looking like newspaper headlines for burnley by beating liverpool one day and loosing to little acci next game.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:11   #28
Senior Member+

Like everyone else I left the Crown thinking that what I had been watching just wasn't good enough !.
I won't attempt to step into the absent F19's shoes and provide an analysis of any kind whatsoever, but the most annoying thing that stood out before my untutored eyes seemed to be that the team were sadly missing those lads who have departed to pastures new !,and as yet have not been replaced by anyone as talented as they were !.

So are the new boys, under JC's tutelage going to be good enough to mount another successful campaign, or worse still avoid relegation ?. Time will tell of course but yesterdays football just wasn't good enough to beat a below average Exeter team who must have left the ground thinking that all ttheir birthdays and Christmases had all come together, considering the gifts presented to them .

Next week against the Shrimps is going to be tough you know, let's hope for better things folks !.

ON STANLEY.....ON TO GREATER THINGS !!!!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 10:25   #29
Senior Member+

Yonmon,the first eleven is good enough to complete with any team,the difference is last season we had two teams !!,this kept everybody on their A game.
We just need a few clean sheets to build momentum.
Seven goals conceded in four league games makes it difficult,but I am sure Coley will address this.
On the fence with the keeper,similar to big Jason and when Ross got his chance our season changed last year.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 11:16   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Yonmon,the first eleven is good enough to complete with any team,the difference is last season we had two teams !!,this kept everybody on their A game.
We just need a few clean sheets to build momentum.
Seven goals conceded in four league games makes it difficult,but I am sure Coley will address this.
On the fence with the keeper,similar to big Jason and when Ross got his chance our season changed last year.
Football 19 is probably the most respected football strategist / analysis on our forum, the statement (the first eleven is good enough to complete with any team) to do that we need to improve a hell of a lot, two goals really good goals from Exeter yesterday hope we can bring some goals of that quality soon
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..