Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2017, 15:54   #16
God Member

Re: Exeter City Thread

Just call me Mr Grumpy coz god help my family today....I AM NOT A HAPPY MAN.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2017, 15:56   #17

Notts Co spawn a 93rd min winner
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 15:57   #18

Not scoring like we were earlier in the season. I suppose our recent poor run of form in the league and we are still third. Not all bad......
AccyMad and monkey hanger like this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:03   #19
Full Member+

Sadly Exeter were too strong for Stanley. The team we played on Tuesday were at full stretch against Wycombe. When I heard there were no changes for the Exeter game I have to say i feared the worst. They are a strong side and were always going to be difficult to beat. I think I would have been happy with a draw. It is gone now we have to get ready to go again and win.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:26   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Sadly Exeter were too strong for Stanley. The team we played on Tuesday were at full stretch against Wycombe. When I heard there were no changes for the Exeter game I have to say i feared the worst. They are a strong side and were always going to be difficult to beat. I think I would have been happy with a draw. It is gone now we have to get ready to go again and win.
The stats sure dont back that up,the only real difference is they had 7 on target, to our 2, to me that dont mean exeter were too strong?
Old 25-11-2017, 18:55   #21

Coley interview.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear....
Old 25-11-2017, 19:52   #22
God Member

I should have known that driving past Stonehenge without a brake light in sight had used up all of my and Mrs.Exile's luck for the day.

Another spot-on summary from Professor Coleman and Chrisr is right: Exeter were too strong for Stanley. They challenged, harried, and closed down their opponents, who, in the first half, were as disjointed and slow-witted as a pub team after an all-night session. Whatever system Stanley were playing didn't work. In the first half Exeter missed four other good chances before the goal, inevitable as it was, came just before the whistle.

On the right side of the ledger, besides the naive defending that produced the first goal and a couple of other defensive scares, I thought the back three of Hughes, Rawson and Everton did well. The Don was one of Stanley's better attacking players! Scott Brown worked his socks off, often trying to recover a mess that was unfolding around him. Chappers made a couple of great saves. Switching Nolan for Johnson added a bit more forward momentum but, other than a niggling injury that he was keeping a secret from the rest of us, it was baffling why Jackson was subbed. As it was, his replacement, McCleod did nowt til he hobbled off, more visibly crocked. Billy looked better in the second half up front rather than trying, but not succeeding that well, at being a midfield lynchpin.

Maybe they don't like the West Country but I saw Stanley play crap at FGR and come away with 3 points. Today, the result was a fair reflection of performance.

P.S. I accept I'm biased, but the penalty decision today didn't exactly back-up Lord Didders opinion of the quality of League 2 refs. Fortunately, it didn't really matter to the overall outcome.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 19:58   #23
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The stats sure dont back that up,the only real difference is they had 7 on target, to our 2, to me that dont mean exeter were too strong?
Sorry Cashy but even Coley said pretty much the same. We did not perform as good as we can. However was not more of a case that Exeter didn't allow us to play our game? We have to up our game. Last Tuesday we got a hard fought win. Wycombe were not better than us and we should have won by at least 2 clear goals. We kept letting them back into the game and dictate the game to often. We do this with too many teams. We have the players that can get us promoted but they must keep their concentration and play at the top of their game. It is not often you hear coley saying that the standard was unacceptable but he did say that about the first half and was honest enough to say we lacked concentration. We have a break now until the 5th I just hope we can shrug off any niggling injuries we may be carrying. We can use this time to work on our communication skills and our passing. We can be as good as any team for short periods but then we seem to switch off. I hope we are back on track when we have our next home game. We need to keep the points coming.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 21:24   #24
God Member

In his post match interview Coley said Jayden Stockley had admitted to him that it wasn't a penalty - just watching Goals Rush & if it wasn't a penalty why was he shouting vociferously for it??? Like someone else has said, it's a good job it wasn't the only goal of the game - one thing being beaten fair & square but a player beying for a decision he knows is wrong leaves a bit of a sour taste tbh
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 21:48   #25
Senior Member+

We are a force for anyone when the 1 to 11 best team is on the park. When it isn't ........ it's a leveller especially on the road.
Missed Seamus badly.
Don't think he'll be back for at least 3 weeks.
Clark was precautionary today so now with a bit of a break he'll be back next game.
Long day for no reward.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 21:51   #26
Senior Member+

Coley coped well with the loudest lawn mower in the world during his interview!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 23:22   #27

No wonder he was appealing for a penalty with someone pulling his shirt like that.
Old 26-11-2017, 07:35   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
No wonder he was appealing for a penalty with someone pulling his shirt like that.
Stand corrected, your Lordship. With benefit of recorded action, Hughes was trying to disrobe Stockley. Makes a bad show even worse.
cashman likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:24   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
In his post match interview Coley said Jayden Stockley had admitted to him that it wasn't a penalty - just watching Goals Rush & if it wasn't a penalty why was he shouting vociferously for it??? Like someone else has said, it's a good job it wasn't the only goal of the game - one thing being beaten fair & square but a player beying for a decision he knows is wrong leaves a bit of a sour taste tbh
it happens in all games from sunday league to a world cup final. some players will appeal for the most obvious thing as you never know they might be given.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..