Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2015, 16:19   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Exeter match,

Good result against a good side,all round performance very good, we seemed to try to shut up shop though at 4-0? conceded 2, thought the subs were a very poor choice. but in a playoff slot now, lets hope we can continue.
Old 19-09-2015, 16:25   #2

Re: Exeter match,

Just one of those things with the sub's, they were like for like. Exeter sling everything forward and got the bounce of the ball
widnes viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 16:29   #3
Senior Member+

Sack the manager. Subs were the wrong ones. Unless either Crooks or Coneely were injured, they should have left well alone. They say "attack is the best form of defence", however, how can I judge the dynamic duo, they have the qualifications not me. Thoroughly enjoyable game until the last 20 minutes. And I must admit, I was worried that Wyn's voices may just get him 5 points in the prediction league lol. Onwards and upwards. Are the pollsters who think we are relegation fodder getting it wrong AGAIN! Can we make an automatic promotion place, only time will tell, but if we continue playing on this form, goodness knows where we will end up. And then watch the whingers come out of the woodwork stating our ground isn't up to scratch for FL games.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 16:29   #4
Resting in Peace

That attacking performance has been coming for a while. Great stuff, but a pity Coley's daft substitutions nearly cost us by surrendering the midfield, which we had dominated. And that's not hindsight, as I was scratching my head when Proccy and Barry came on instead of piling on the pressure with replacement forwards when we had 'em on the run. All's well that ends well though and it was super entertainment.
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 16:31   #5

Till we scored both sides looked like they could score. Then we kicked on created good chances and the 3rd and 4th goals where crafted well. As cashman said at 4-0 we seemed to go into our shell and perhaps choose the wrong approach. Overall, it was a great game to be at.
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 17:04   #6
Senior Member+

Great result to get THREE POINTS today against one of the divisions fancied teams.
Early on in the match I thought that Exeter looked like a good footballing team and that they could be dangerous on the break. It took us a while to get into the match but once we scored there was no looking back. first goal was super and slick...a fine diagonal ball to Pierro who swept the ball into the near post for windass to pass it superbly into the net. The second goal was an early Christmas present from Exeter! Hee hee! ......Or should it be Ho ho ho!!!
Third and fourth goals were slick and based on incisive forward play. Billy held the ball from Pierros superbly and timed his layoff back to Pierro equally superbly for Pieroo to drill the ball in. Billy had little to shoot at for the fourth goal but found the inside of the post for it to beat the keeper!
I agree with other early posters that the subs were a tactical error but i hope that coley and jimmy learn from it! for me this season seamus has been our 'central hub' player with everything going through him.He has been the player that we have missed for a couple of years who has the composure to put his foot on the ball and look around. He rarely wastes the ball. His play is complemented by Crooksy's industry and ability to hastle opponents. They are making a supeer central pairing. When they were subbed we broke the 'spine' of our team and we retreated to defending on the edge of our penalty box just like last season. Procky tried to get the tacklse in but his timing was out and he gave anumber of free kicks away. Barry just did not get into the game at all and seemed to be chasing shadows.

Anyway a great result which has moved us up to the heady heights of SIXTH in the division.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 17:16   #7
Full Member+

A good game against a well organised team. I was a little surprised at the choice of substitutes as neither play were ever going to get into the pace of the game quick enough. I was hoping to see our spanish forward get 30 mins under his belt. I wonder if Jimmy ever disagrees with coley on subs? I am dreading the transfer window coming as to the players we could lose. However I worry about that nearer the time. onward and upward. crowd 1400, is it me or is it creeping up slowly??
Redraine likes this.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 17:25   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
was hoping to see our spanish forward get 30 mins under his belt. I wonder if Jimmy ever disagrees with coley on subs?
I sometimes wonder if they are Jimmy's subs, not Coley's, as without a degree of nepotism I don't think our no.11 would be keeping Bruna out of the team!
Old 19-09-2015, 17:58   #9

1300 stanley fans creeping up
lets give exeter credit they came back strong under the guile of clinton morrison who held up the ball well
and brought them back into the game
Billy kee was awesome today my mom by a long way everything went throu billy
chevyfire likes this.
stanley nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 19:29   #10

Could have been a different game if Exeter had taken their early chances, but would like to think we would have the quality to win from behind anyway. On that note, I know there is disappointment at conceding 2, but if we had gone 2 0 down then won 4 2 it would seem like a fantastic win.

Pleased for pierro today, looks like the whole were too from the way they celebrated.

Was our left back carrying an injury? Got beaten a few too many times

Also coley interview - he sounds furious.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:04   #11
Senior Member+

Impressed with Exeter and one of the best teams down at the Wham stadium.
Their form was good with three clean sheets and smashed the league leaders 4-0,so it wasn't going to be easy.
Their three centre mids are amongst the best footballers in the league and they moved us around with good possession and passing.
For 25 minutes we had to dig in to try and match them,and they had a winger who was excellent in the air and we swapped Pearson to left back to counter this.
Can't complain about the result tho,although Bucko switched off for the first goal and Proccy got caught flat footed for the second,otherwise a decent professional job on a very good team
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:06   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
I sometimes wonder if they are Jimmy's subs, not Coley's, as without a degree of nepotism I don't think our no.11 would be keeping Bruna out of the team!
A little harsh, I thought Sean put a real shift in today & as we haven't seen much of senor Bruna how is it possible to compare the two??
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 20:18   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Aye it were a grand day out! We can't get to many games but today was definitely worth it, the boys were pretty much all over it for most of the game but for whatever reason after the subs they went a bit wobbly resulting in 2 soft goals.

Still, compared to what we got to see this time last year, worlds apart! And long may it continue says us, dizzying heights indeed, if we're not careful it'll be light heads & nosebleeds all round.
Old 19-09-2015, 20:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
A little harsh, I thought Sean put a real shift in today & as we haven't seen much of senor Bruna how is it possible to compare the two??
It is possible to compare the two, as from Bruna's brief cameo against Bury he showed in scoring his great goal more power, determination and skill in brushing aside their defenders than McConville has in any match I've seen this, or any other season I'm afraid!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 19-09-2015, 20:51   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Great result to get THREE POINTS today against one of the divisions fancied teams.
Early on in the match I thought that Exeter looked like a good footballing team and that they could be dangerous on the break. It took us a while to get into the match but once we scored there was no looking back. first goal was super and slick...a fine diagonal ball to Pierro who swept the ball into the near post for windass to pass it superbly into the net. The second goal was an early Christmas present from Exeter! Hee hee! ......Or should it be Ho ho ho!!!
Third and fourth goals were slick and based on incisive forward play. Billy held the ball from Pierros superbly and timed his layoff back to Pierro equally superbly for Pieroo to drill the ball in. Billy had little to shoot at for the fourth goal but found the inside of the post for it to beat the keeper!
I agree with other early posters that the subs were a tactical error but i hope that coley and jimmy learn from it! for me this season seamus has been our 'central hub' player with everything going through him.He has been the player that we have missed for a couple of years who has the composure to put his foot on the ball and look around. He rarely wastes the ball. His play is complemented by Crooksy's industry and ability to hastle opponents. They are making a supeer central pairing. When they were subbed we broke the 'spine' of our team and we retreated to defending on the edge of our penalty box just like last season. Procky tried to get the tacklse in but his timing was out and he gave anumber of free kicks away. Barry just did not get into the game at all and seemed to be chasing shadows.

Anyway a great result which has moved us up to the heady heights of SIXTH in the division.
ON STANLEY ON
Sorry for the 'Typo' errors earlier as I was dashing out to have a beer with friends at 6pm in The Forts down Clayton...great beer.......hic!
On reflection, we did play well for an hour but Coley's subs did for us and we let Exeter back into the match by conceding midfield. I believe in having a strong 'spine' in your first eleven and subbing both central midfield players at the same time seemed to 'break our spine' which left us defending on the edge of our penalty box like we did for most of last season! I could see the sense in subbing Crooksy to protect him from getting another booking but we should have kept Seamus on the pitch IMHO. For me he has been a major player in our solid start to this season. He is the unglamourous but efficient central hub that we have lacked for the last couple of seasons! Everything seems to go through him and he is just so cool on the ball. He can put his foot on the ball and then show composure before he releases the ball. He never seems to waste a pass....... very efficient and his efforts for me seem to go under the radar somewhat. If I was picking the team from the current squad his would be the first name on the teamsheet! He has been subbed a few times mid second half but has never seemed to need to have been replaced for tiredness! Josh Windass for me had a great first 60 minutes but played the last 35 knackered! I would have protected Josh's clear potential and subbed him with Shay McCarten who would have brought new energy to our attacking line and kept us on the front foot. Procky tried hard when he came on but was mistiming his tackles and gave away a number of free kicks. Anthony Barry didn't get with the pace of the game at all and sat in too deep. I think he may have only touched the ball three times. So we conceded midfield completely and for the last thirty minutes or so, as I said earlier, we defended on the edge of our penalty box just like last season, and it was only a matter of time before we conceded a goal or two! Billy did well and got better the longer the game went on and desreved his well taken goal. The defence was strong again and Tom Davies is looking as good as Tom Aldred did last season. Deano has paired up with him really well. Full backs were awesome!!!...Bucko MOM for me and Matt Pearson great...one super left wing run beating two defenders at ease and shooting for goal! What a lot of potential we have in our squad at the moment.
I just hope that we can keep this team together for the rest of the season because I really do believe that we can go places!!!!
ON STANLEY ON
AccyMad likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 19-09-2015 at 20:54.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..