Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2013, 07:39   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Exeter Match Thread

I know, I know, but still....................
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-02-2013, 09:07   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
Must be those "Crowd finder Puma boots" he wears.
He obviously wasn't wearing them - but should have been. Had Hughes been in that situation, I think the ball would have been out of the ground.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 09:13   #18

How much longer can this mess continue ? One win in 16 games and we cannot make any decisions through lack of funds, due to shocking gates, a reluctance ( possibly ) by this large band of Directors to inject cash. What is the answer ? , football in a lower grade , obviously .
tonyalveston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:08   #19
Senior Member+

It's getting beyond a joke,they have three shots on target and score two,it has to change soon.Then again we only had one shot on target!!
If we don't score goals we we won't win,simple really,and scoring isn't just down to the forwards.
There goals came from a centre mid getting into the area and both goals were disappointing after doing so well.
The first one,there winger got past liddle and murph is dragged across and the ball and is cut back to his man in the area,we just didn't react quick enough.
The second was entirely Redraines fault,who wants to keep the ball alive !!
Seriously,dean chases the ball in the left back channel,and clips it back to the keeper,to be fair,it's at an awkward height for the keeper,but his control/touch was poor,and just went straight to there man.
If it was 0-0 the ball would have gone into touch,simple as.
Can't really hammer dean as he has marked Pope and Cureton in recent weeks,and they haven't had a sniff.
We need some luck,the sooner the better
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:27   #20

No movement, no creativity, no spark, no threat, no goals, no chance, bring on Forest Green next season!!
Beach Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:31   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
It's getting beyond a joke,they have three shots on target and score two,it has to change soon.Then again we only had one shot on target!!
whats beyond a joke is our lack of efforts on goal, we seem to save them up for special occasions then have 50 efforts (bad ones) all at once.

Do we train on a 70 yard pitch? It seems like it because we dont seem able to penetrate the last 30 yards at all.

Drop the lot of them and make the first 11 up out of everyone that hasn't been playing, they cant do any worse.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:38   #22

The defence was a lot better last night and I think we will play worse and get something from the game. The real worry for me is that we are just not creating chances.

I don't go to as many games as I would like, but have just not had the excitement in the build up to recent games and couldn't put my finger on it until now.

We are no longer exciting to watch, the expectation is just not there. Last few games I have watched (Plymouth Away and last night) we never looked like scoring. We are lumping it up to Beattie and something needs to change. He is not a big name anymore and not too big to be dropped.

I know times have changed, but looking back to the play-off season and before that, I was literally sprinting up Whalley Road to watch the lads. It was flowing football, one-on-ones, quick breaks down the wing etc.

We are not going to attract new fans playing the sort of football we are at the moment. Some lads came from work with me to the Plymouth game and they thought we were dire.

How many of us have dragged someone new to the Crown this season and been embarrassed by the display put on by the team?

Leam needs to be braver. We are not going to stay up relying on 0-0 draws. Strangely enough, the game was there for the taking last night around the hour mark. The home crowd were getting restless and Exeter started pushing more. We should have stuck Carver and Podge on and asked a few questions. Instead, they made positive subs and won the game.

Fortune favours the brave!
Revived Red likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 10:57   #23

Have said in previous posts that whilst Leam is a great bloke and does talk sense in interviews, I don't think he has what it takes to be a football league manager at this stage of his career. It is laudable and right to give people opportunities, however it was the cheap option for the board and if things continue, it will cost our club dearly. It is clearly not working.

I've gone through the remaining fixtures and if things continue, I can only see us getting 12 more points. The last time 44 points was good enough to keep a team up in this league was 2009 and looking at the points spread this season, I don't think 44 will be enough.

From my perspective, it's quite simple and a change is needed. Either our luck needs to change quickly or we need a change in the team's manager. You make your own luck in this game, and without a catalyst of some sort, it will continue. Rather than look on and hope, which is never a good strategy with the board continuing to act like Nero carrying on playing the fiddle whilst Rome burned, I'd urge the board to show some leadership and act now, however difficult that decision is. There's nothing wrong in admitting to a mistake, there's everything wrong in not doing something to address it.

If we were to be relegated, I think the club would suffer untold damage - there's the funding side through the football league, gate revenue, ability to attract players etc. - it would all go overnight and the conference is a tough thought league. We need to fight hard to keep our league status as we fought hard to get this far. The board know the financial side of it better than I do.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:00   #24
Full Member+

What a negative lot you are . I was not there last night but I understand we played really well. I know we didn't win but stop keep blaming managment. At the end of the day , if Stanley play their best , they can do no more. We should be behind the lads AND management and cheering them on come what may . Like all sports the best players are the ones not on the pitch. I will be at Stanley on sat and will be cheering them on , hope you are there too.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:21   #25
Senior Member+

Its an easy conclusion. Weve had 1 WIN in 16 GAMES. How is this good enough? It really isnt, Liam has to go. Hes not a football manager , hes far from it! Whats even worse is that he has come from being a defender and yes the defence is getting better but what we need is goals and Liam has no clue and idea about attacking!

Also apparently James Beattie hasnt even been in all week and hasnt trained with the lads! Yet when they get there he is first on the team lineup! Liam needs to grow some bollocks and put him on the bench. His international caps and history mean nothing to the club when he will be gone in the summer when weve been relegated!

The team needs a shake up and a manager , yes a MANAGER! Its the only option now!

Liam has to go ASAP.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:53   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
What a negative lot you are . I was not there last night but I understand we played really well. I know we didn't win but stop keep blaming managment. At the end of the day , if Stanley play their best , they can do no more. We should be behind the lads AND management and cheering them on come what may . Like all sports the best players are the ones not on the pitch. I will be at Stanley on sat and will be cheering them on , hope you are there too.
Greeny, I'm trying to be objective rather than negative. 1 win in 16 is relegation form and no mater how well we're playing, we're not playing well enough to win games or even get back level when we fall behind.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:55   #27
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
The second was entirely Redraines fault,who wants to keep the ball alive !!
Ha ha, nice try! Keep this up and you will have me singing the United fans' refrain to the Liverpool scousers.http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/i...es/biggrin.gif. Can't do proper smileys on my laptop.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:57   #28
Senior Member+

They did play/defend well,but our ball retention and hold up play could have been better.We are simply not scoring goals and its costing us big time.
If we had scored just an average amount we would be around the playoffs.
I am struggling for a fix to this,as I have said before,it's not just the forwards,its upto everyone to be positive in the last third of the pitch and not pass on the responsibility.
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:51   #29
bdc

I think we are already relegated in my opinion, we are doing what Macclesfield did last season, they got on a run of losing and drawing games and it became the norm. This is what is happening to us at the minute and until we win another game we are going to struggle. We are not scoring enough goals to provide us with a chance of getting results in games, until this is sorted we will not win another game.

We really need to try something different upfront and I think maybe dropping Beattie may be worth a try. We don't really seem to have the fight and desire across the team to try and make a fist of staying in the division. At the end of the day, most fans would forgive some bad results if the heart and effort were on show in games. We will miss a great opportunity if we end up getting relegated as I don't think we would come back. The Conference is a tough division to get out of especially when there are only 2 promotion places and we would struggle to compete against the bigger sides in that division.

In reality we need 6 wins from 14 games to stay up and there are potentially 2 6 pointers coming up next month with Wimbledon and Barnet. We really need some more points on the board before them games though for us to have any chance of staying up. It would be a minor miracle if we did stay up as we have only won 3 out of our last 23 games, so to win 6 in 14 will be very difficult. I hope we do it but my head says we wont.
bdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 18:15   #30

One positive from last night was that the defenders looked big in stature and coped well with anything Exeter had to offer. Leam came for a point up and it nearly worked. Problem is, once we conceded it was obvious that was it. No plan B.

Scoring goals is the problem - since taking over our record is awful. Since he was made manager 18 league games ago.

Failed to score 8 times
Scored once 8 times
Scored 2+ goals twice (one we lost)
Scored one goal since New years day

I am so close to tipping over into the "sack Leam" camp, but so far am holding off, but either our form, luck or manager needs to change soon.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..