Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2016, 15:56   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Exeter match thread

lost 2-1
Old 23-01-2016, 16:00   #17
Resting in Peace

McConville misses 4 good chances again. What happened to Coley's ultimatum to him on converting? Passenger.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 16:22   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

What amazes me is the fact love or hate S.M, he aint got the engine to last 90 mins, any fool can see that!! yet it was 86 mins before he was subbed.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 23-01-2016, 16:47   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hit woodwork twice, what we gotta do to get 3 pts? SCORE twice Exeter just gone 2-1 up.
no just keep a clean sheet for once.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 17:03   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraine View Post
McConville misses 4 good chances again. What happened to Coley's ultimatum to him on converting? Passenger.
Hardly! The lad gives his all & yet is still painted with the brush of being JB's nephew by some! Really gets my goat - if you haven't witnessed the game you don't have the right to say what you think happened - will wait for the returning fans verdict
baldy likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 17:48   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Hardly! The lad gives his all & yet is still painted with the brush of being JB's nephew by some! Really gets my goat - if you haven't witnessed the game you don't have the right to say what you think happened - will wait for the returning fans verdict
Was the Verdict from one of our fans who was there, I'm afraid. My goat is bigger than yours!
cashman likes this.
Old 23-01-2016, 18:12   #22
God Member

Quote:
Was the Verdict from one of our fans who was there, I'm afraid. My goat is bigger than yours!
I don't doubt it Redraine but depends whose opinion it was - that's football though & wouldn't have it any other way
Old 23-01-2016, 18:35   #23
Resting in Peace

Talking Re: Exeter match thread

AccyMad, it wasn't me who publicly criticised Sean weeks ago
for failing to convert his chances - it was Coley himself. He scored in the next game but since then has reverted to type but still retains his place, so what are we supposed to think? If he had succeeded with only a reasonable proportion of those chances I firmly believe we would be even better placed in the table than now. It is not as if we don't have options on the bench, and just see what McCarten has produced since being given his head. The "nephew business" unfortunately is the inevitable explanation for the mystery, much as it embarrasses me to bring it up, which actually I didn't!
Old 23-01-2016, 19:58   #24
God Member

Maybe you didn't but others do - part of the reason I think Sean absconded to Stockport - not pretending I was happy with him at that time but could half understand his reasoning, that didn't work out & I think it took guts to admit he was wrong & come back.
Let's face it, if he was faultless he'd be playing much higher up the leagues as would some other team members but they're not perfect & they're playing in a red (striped) shirt so lets get behind each & every one of 'em 100%
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 23-01-2016, 20:13   #25
Senior Member+

I was there - and I'll say what I think.

Let's start with McConville. To say that he was anonymous would be praising him. He had one glorious chance that he ballooned over but apart from that, he was indeed a passenger. I reckon that Mingoia, Kee and McCartan each covered twice the distance as he did during the game.

And that leads me on to substitutions. These seem to be Coley's Achilles heel. I cannot imagine the point in bringing on Gornell at 85 minutes. And if that was pointless, why on earth bring on Carver at 87 minutes? Paul Tisdale had already made his three substitutions by the time we made one.

Another big worry is Jason Mooney. For a man of his stature, he should dominate his goal area yet he stays rooted to his line at corners and free kicks. Billy Kee rightly had a go at him after Exeter's second goal. I wonder if it is time to give Etheridge a chance?

We played some neat one-touch football at times but we lacked a cutting edge that Exeter certainly had, especially in the first half. There is no movement to create space for a defence-splitting through pass.

I should say it was a very poor playing surface but that was no excuse. All in all, it was disappointing.
Redraine and cashman like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 20:23   #26
God Member

Don't know where to start in trying to sum up this game (hope Phil Whalley was there as he will make a better job of it).
On the return journey I listened to Mr.Tisdale's interview with Radio Devon and he was fulsome in his praise for the quality of the football played by Stanley. I suspect he may have been a little less generous if the result was different but it was a pleasant change to hear a balanced opinion from a manager (for the record, I think Professor Coleman has also been pretty fair and shrewd in his post match comments this season).
Once the madness of the first five minutes was out of the way (both very well taken goals) I thought Exeter were the better, or at least more organised team in the first half. Even their kick off was a training ground move that nearly came off and would have resulted in an even quicker first goal. Second half was a mirror image, with Stanley keeping the Grecians pressed back in their own half.
The conditions were not ideal, and the biggest leveller was a very poor pitch, which made it increasingly difficult, especially as the rain set in, to play the ball on the ground. This disadvantaged Stanley as their short, quick passing game suffered.
Mr.McCartan caused problems whenever he ran on with or onto the ball, but was subbed as I suspect he was tiring on a sticky pitch. Crooksy was immense in the midfield, and Billy Kee had another 90 minutes of selfless battling up front on his own. Captain Conneely was my MoM for his ability to always be there to receive the pass and get Stanley out of trouble. Pierro, as often the case this season, rarely had an opponent more than three yards from him but got plenty of crosses in despite the attention he received. One negative though - Stanley barely won any headers in their box from corners or free kicks. Maybe just excellent defending? Stanley's defence were much better in the second half with Matty Pearson man-marking their danger man (Nichols, No.20) so effectively that he was subbed, to boos from the home crowd! Still think Mr.Mooney has to make his presence felt more often and more robustly - if not the entire penalty area that 6 yard box has got to be his and his alone.
Don't wish to take sides on the issue (see above) but McConville has never been a favourite of mine and today was an example of why I think so. He had a good game at Northampton, but today was lack-lustre. We sat near to some home fans and could sense their disquiet whenever Messrs Pierro or McCartan got the ball and attacked their defence. But there was no such reaction when SM got the ball as he creates little threat. Having said that he drifted in and could have had a couple in the first half but, regretfully, today I half expected to see him on the bus back to the Park&Ride with the other passengers.
But, overall, Stanley put in a great performance and this was just not to be their day.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 22:37   #27

Just back from the long journey, summary of the game in my opinion was we were comfortably the better team in the second half with a far more even first half, Exeter were a more than able side with Jayden stockley a big threat for them, we are so exciting going forward an always look a threat but are inability to keep the back door shut could be the failing of us , as for player ratings to single mcconville out is unfair , for me he worked his socks off as he did in midweek against Hartlepool, he missed 2 chances which 1 was created from his own good work, Piero ran himself into the ground an billy shay an Crooksy always looked a threat, mr . Mooney as others have said does not command his box no were near enough for the size of him maybe time to give etheridge a go ? Also not sure on the pairing of wright an Pearson at centre half , is Davies injured ? As I said earlier we deserved 3 points today for a good performance but took none, we move onto Bristol rivers next week with hopefully a similar performance but with 3 points to boot.
monkey hanger likes this.
pidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:19   #28
Senior Member+

Not sure why people have such a problem with McConville!

This isn't a dig at Piero but Sean has scored more goals than Piero this season, Fact!
Does that mean Piero is a passenger so needs dropping too?

On a lighter note... Exeter 2-1 Accrington | Video | Watch TV Show | Sky Sports
Old 24-01-2016, 10:55   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Probably yer IQ baldy? He did play ok against Hartlepool, but its consistency he lacks, very badly. its not about anyone scoring goals, its simply consistency. if you think hes consistently good then i give up.
Old 24-01-2016, 11:32   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Cashy, Redraine seems to think it does!...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..