Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2015, 11:50   #16

Re: F.A.Cup Rnd 2 -V- .........

The format needs a rethink.

Round 1 is great - non-league teams get a shot at the league clubs
Round 3 is great - the big boys come in

Round 2 is a bit of a washout - I think the FA need to bring the Championship clubs in to spice it up a bit.

Just a thought.........
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2015, 12:38   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
The format needs a rethink.

Round 1 is great - non-league teams get a shot at the league clubs
Round 3 is great - the big boys come in

Round 2 is a bit of a washout - I think the FA need to bring the Championship clubs in to spice it up a bit.

Just a thought.........
It's the numbers though. You need 64 teams in Round 3, that's currently 20 Prem + 24 Champ + 20 Round 2 winners. So you need 40 teams in Round 2, therefore 80 in Round 1 - 48 from League 1 & 2, plus 32 non-leaguers.

Now if you bring the Champ teams in in Round 2, Round 3 becomes 20 Prem + 44 Round 2 winners. So you need 88 teams in Round 2, 24 Champ + 64 Round 1 winners, therefore 128 teams in Round 1, 48 from league 1 & 2 plus 80 non-leaguers. Bit too much of a good thing, maybe?

Also from our point of view, it would put a lot more competent, unexciting clubs we're not really likely to beat into Round 2, standing between us and the possibility of a real Prem money-spinner. OK we might get Rovers or Clarets, but I think on balance I'd vote to leave things alone.
cashman likes this.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:51   #18
Full Member+

I think it's a decent draw. It might attract a 12000+ crowd, giving us more share of the gate receipts than any other draw at this stage i can think of. Also we have nothing to fear. If we lose we wont be beaten by "giant killers" and besides,our team is as good if not better than theirs!
AccyMad likes this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:16   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
It's the numbers though. You need 64 teams in Round 3, that's currently 20 Prem + 24 Champ + 20 Round 2 winners. So you need 40 teams in Round 2, therefore 80 in Round 1 - 48 from League 1 & 2, plus 32 non-leaguers.

Now if you bring the Champ teams in in Round 2, Round 3 becomes 20 Prem + 44 Round 2 winners. So you need 88 teams in Round 2, 24 Champ + 64 Round 1 winners, therefore 128 teams in Round 1, 48 from league 1 & 2 plus 80 non-leaguers. Bit too much of a good thing, maybe?

Also from our point of view, it would put a lot more competent, unexciting clubs we're not really likely to beat into Round 2, standing between us and the possibility of a real Prem money-spinner. OK we might get Rovers or Clarets, but I think on balance I'd vote to leave things alone.
The maths would have to go back a lot further than that, don't forget the FA Cup starts in August. I stand to be corrected but I think any team in the country who meet the criteria of the FA Cup rules can enter
Old 11-11-2015, 15:22   #20
God Member

I see Salford have again been chosen for tv coverage in their 2nd round game v Hartlepool, hardly fair on the other non league teams still in with a shout but maybe inevitable given their owners & the hype surrounding them at the moment
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 15:50   #21
God Member

Not so far for the luvvies in Me-dyachester to travel.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 22:50   #22
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I see Salford have again been chosen for tv coverage in their 2nd round game v Hartlepool, hardly fair on the other non league teams still in with a shout but maybe inevitable given their owners & the hype surrounding them at the moment

Money goes to money as they say. "The class of 92" are multi millionaires, other non league clubs are more deserving of a live match but unfortunately we'll be seeing Neville, Scholes and Butt mingling with those Mancs on the terrace again!
monkey hanger likes this.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:37   #23
God Member

the love affair goes on and on. we,ll see the class of 92 everytime there,s a lull in play. come on pools hammer the sods. my hate for Salford is catching up my one for leeds and increasing my blood pressure.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..