Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-10-2016, 19:17   #61

Re: Fa cup 1st rd draw

Is there no Lady Stiffupperlip with which to take advantage of the "Together Forever" card and a 33% discount? The coach may have a certain appeal but as a fellow Lord then surely nothing beats sitting in first class and waving ones handkerchief at the peasant children that come out out the sleepy pennine villages and sit on the railway fences looking for their father to return?
sherry and Lord Stiffupperlip like this.
Accrington Web
Old 17-10-2016, 19:26   #62
God Member

I suspect Stanley's kit will soon need to be trimmed with ermine!
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 17-10-2016, 21:06   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Is there no Lady Stiffupperlip with which to take advantage of the "Together Forever" card and a 33% discount? The coach may have a certain appeal but as a fellow Lord then surely nothing beats sitting in first class and waving ones handkerchief at the peasant children that come out out the sleepy pennine villages and sit on the railway fences looking for their father to return?
Lord D,
Lady Cicely & I both benefit from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway discount cards reserved for the aristocracy & certain shareholders. Perhaps you would care to join us in our private Pullman car. However, you & Lady D must bring your own butler as we had to let our railway carriage staff go due to outstanding tax demands at Rusting Manor.
Yours truly,
Sir Rodney Stiff-Upperlip KFC
Ps. Depending on Bradshaws timetable, we may need to ask Blenkinsop to dust the Armstrong Siddeley down.
cashman, sherry and Lord Didsbury like this.
Old 18-10-2016, 08:07   #64
God Member

Bratfurt average attendance is 17,500. What's the gate likely to be for this un?[/QUOTE]

a lot less than that i,m afraid as most of em have season tickets due to the price and the yorkies will have to pay extra for the game which won,t go down with the generous nature.
Old 18-10-2016, 08:11   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Cheaper for an old duffer like me, as I have a railcard. However, surely this will be an odds on 10 coach certainty. In which case, b****r the train!
even better for me as the bradford bus runs from the bottom of my road so its free for me although i,ll have to hide my scarf on the return journey after we stuff em.
Old 18-10-2016, 09:43   #66

Following Lord Stiffupperlip's lurkdom on the Blackpool forum I headed straight for "Bantam Banter" (or whatever amusing name their forum is) after the draw was made but found it was only for those who could choose their fave Bradford player and what year they won the Cup.

Clearly a bit of subterfuge was required, so I went for David Weatherall and 1911, and I duly slipped in the side door unnoticed.

It's the "go to" place for Milk puns I can tell you that. I don't think they have left any dairy related terms unused in their hours of side splitting amusement since the draw was made.

Anyway, they seem quite pleased with the draw - mainly a chance for revenge.
Lord Stiffupperlip likes this.
Old 18-10-2016, 10:41   #67
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Can they write in yorkshire?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 18-10-2016, 12:13   #68
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
not joined up letters and only if its free.
cashman likes this.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:04   #69

Yorkshire? Illiterate? Tight?

When my parents took the disastrous decision to cart me away from the paradise that is Accrington that meant living about 4 miles from Bradford City centre for a decade.

Educated and influenced by Yorkshire people I was. I easily learnt their ways - how to be stingy and mean and how to be stubborn and opinionated. Somehow, I learnt to read and write - not sure how as the book we had to study for English O'Level was Kes (Kestrel for a Knave) which is just a couple hundred pages of Barnsley slang.

My sporting education started in Bradford too. To prepare me for going to watch Super Leeds I was taken to Valley Parade for a few months to endure some dour kick and rush rubbish. When I reached the point where I could take no more, the wonders of Elland Road were mine.

Whilst I never felt compelled to return I do have some fondness for Bradford .... not least because one saturday I was playing golf on the hills overlooking the city when those infamous and horrible plumes of smoke started to rise into the air.

So, whilst they are an odd lot across there, whilst Valley Parade almost put me off the beautiful game. I really can't wait for this match.
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-10-2016, 15:40   #70

I think your parents must have taken you to Yorkshire on purpose to see whether you would sink, or swim.
It must have worked because you overcame hardship to take the Lordship of Didsbury!
Old 18-10-2016, 16:12   #71

The link following will (I hope) take you to the official Bantams 'Visitor's Guide', which you can also download as a PDF.
It gives excellent advice on how to get to the ground by road or rail etc., together with local bus information.
Well worth a visit.
https://issuu.com/bradfordcityafc/do...tors_handboo/1
Old 19-10-2016, 08:14   #72
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Yorkshire? Illiterate? Tight?

So, whilst they are an odd lot across there, whilst Valley Parade almost put me off the beautiful game. I really can't wait for this match.
sounds like i was brought up a bit like yourself being dragged down to yorkshire from the north east. my mother hated it, but it was worse for me as my education was halifax town at cold comfort farm in the late 50.s where their fans enjoyed their side giving the opposition a good kicking, i wonder if our mate westley had a yorkshire upbringing.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:22   #73
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger
sounds like i was brought up a bit like yourself being dragged down to yorkshire from the north east.
I thought it was common knowledge that Yorkshiremen were Geordies, Mackems and the like (suppose monkey hangers are included), with their brains kicked out.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
Old 19-10-2016, 09:42   #74
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that Yorkshiremen were Geordies, Mackems and the like (suppose monkey hangers are included), with their brains kicked out.
no just their pockets sewn up.
Old 19-10-2016, 12:11   #75
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Yes we can write in Yorkshire
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..