Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2017, 09:50   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Fa cup fourth round

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
True, in particular the LT - although they did go with a 'story' about the team's toaster being nicked from the changing rooms last week. Way to reinforce the tinpot label!
Shame they don't print our match reports as quick
I ceased buying that paper years ago, its utter crap these days, used to buy it 5 days a week when it was half decent.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Good lad Sean, well deserved (another just like it at Boro now please)
remember as kids we,d have said we,ve beaten burnley, burnley have beaten middlesbrough so therefore we,re better than middlesbrough. hope it works as it never did for me as a kid.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56   #63
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

wish i could remember that far back.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:38   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
wish i could remember that far back.
not many can cashy. the world was black and white those days.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:47   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
not many can cashy. the world was black and white those days.
Sepia old boy! Sepia
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 12:26   #66
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Sepia old boy! Sepia
Etched!
Old 11-01-2017, 13:15   #67

Any half decent paper would surely have run the toaster story with a "George Oghani" angle.
Former Dingles forward was a well known domestic appliance thief who (if memory serves) stole an ironing board (and used it to clobber the shop assistant when making good his escape).

Surely it could have been built up into some sort of major crime story? All the ingredients are there...football, revenge, a potential serial thief suspect, a small town with residents scared to leave their kitchen.

No wonder we've got no fans when opportunities like this are missed.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 15:31   #68
God Member

No wonder we're short of fans when the local rag thinks that sort of 'story' is worth printing
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 18:07   #69

if you are on train and its a normal 3 pm Saturday ko then you should get back to station for the 5-26 transpen to Leeds,. I normally get back to the station for 5-15 and I never leave ground till after players come off pitch. In the gods at top of NW Corner.
Your seats will be towards south east corner so straight out onto Windward way and all way down to the station.
thornabyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:34   #70
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornabyred View Post
if you are on train and its a normal 3 pm Saturday ko then you should get back to station for the 5-26 transpen to Leeds,. I normally get back to the station for 5-15 and I never leave ground till after players come off pitch. In the gods at top of NW Corner.
Your seats will be towards south east corner so straight out onto Windward way and all way down to the station.
Many thanks for that, thornaby. I'll be coming back to Bristol and I wasn't sure if I would be able to get that 5.26. So useful for me.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:49   #71
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Etched!
Slate and Chisel
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47   #72

I believe the televised matches are normally announced within 48 hours but were delayed yesterday due to the FA looking into rescheduling of league games.

(that was via Twitter - so possibly complete balderdash)

There's a load of PL matches on the Tuesday after the cup weekend (inc Boro).

In other news, the ticket seller at the train station in Manchester this morning (who saw my Stanley bobble hat) was excitedly telling me how much he was hoping City had drawn Accy.
Everyone loves us.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:33   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
In other news, the ticket seller at the train station in Manchester this morning (who saw my Stanley bobble hat) was excitedly telling me how much he was hoping City had drawn Accy.
Everyone loves us.
I bet they weren't the only ones willing this draw to happen.
Considering the monetary gulf between lowly Stanley & megabucks City, this would have been the FA Cup draw the whole of Britain, nay the world, would have been eager to see.
Every footie fan in the world would have been rooting for Stanley
Imagine the advertising revenues Sky sport would have made if only fate had intervened.
As Sky now control football, perhaps they should lobby the FA to ensure that, in future, premier league teams can only be drawn against league 2/non-league teams in rounds 3 & 4.
This would ensure a bumper payday for lower league clubs, who need it the most. After all, football is in the entertainment business.
Where's the FA Cup magic in watching premier league teams battle out scoreless draws in round 3?
Revived Red and monkey hanger like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:12   #74
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
The article's from the Daily Telegraph! But still none.
The article is in the Lancashire evening telgraph sports page.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 15:21   #75
Full Member+

Is the local papers worth bothering with anymore? I read plenty about Blackburn and Burnley. If we got through to the semi final do you think the telegraph would give us more than two lines? The Observer is now only published once per week and is Manchester-centric. Is it relevant anymore? They do give us a bit more space but it is usually a week behind. What other real alternatives are there.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..