Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2018, 21:22   #31

Re: FA Cup next round

If you shun twitter you are missing out on a feast of information and insight from Andy Holt.
It’s not something he could possibly achieve via the web site.
You also get better access to team news, coley’s post match interviews etc
I know it’s a horrible place at times, but just to follow Andy and the official club account is worth the couple of minutes to sign up.
MikeA, cashman and Chrisr like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-11-2018, 08:57   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Have to say LordD is the reason i use it, hate the thing really.
Old 27-11-2018, 09:48   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
If you shun twitter you are missing out on a feast of information and insight from Andy Holt.
Sorry but I think it is a great pity that the "feast of information" and "insight" cannot be shared more widely

Quote:
It’s not something he could possibly achieve via the web site.
My simple mind asks "Why not?" Surely the "feast of information" is limited by the number of characters available on twitter. The "feast" (and "insight") could be much greater without such an arbitrary limit.
pifco likes this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 20:41   #34

Wishful thinking Revived Red. Bit like hoping for the mining industry to return.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:26   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Bit like hoping for the mining industry to return.
Ludicrous comment.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:49   #36

Why so? You think the mines will return, or that Andy Holt is suddenly going to start writing web pages?
Old 27-11-2018, 22:53   #37
Full Member+

Good clubs have good websites, and we will be lucky to get 1100 on Saturday at this rate as fans unaware they are on sale, and if you wait until the day for sales lots drop out if it is cold etc like v Colchester.

Twitter like JANET mail, Myspace and Ask Jeeves will surely be around for a long time.
Revived Red likes this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 23:36   #38

I would argue that Andy Holt’s use of twitter is a real selling point for the club. Giving out shirts to kids is a nice gesture, but is magnified by social media. His recent publication of matchday P&Ls are interesting but far more interesting to see the stir they caused on Twitter. Ditto giving all the Wycombe fans free hot dog and hot drink tonight and his rants about the EFL.

I agree ticket sales should be on the website, just that there’s not a cat in hells chance all the aforementioned stuff will be or should be on there.
Old 28-11-2018, 09:43   #39
God Member

[QUOTE=Chewbacca;1219919]Good clubs have good websites, and we will be lucky to get 1100 on Saturday at this rate as fans unaware they are on sale, and if you wait until the day for sales lots drop out if it is cold etc like v Colchester.

fans know it will not be a sell out on saturday so what is the real need to purchase em in advance. prices and availabilty of purchase should have been published earlier for those who cannot wait.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 11:43   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Why so? You think the mines will return, or that Andy Holt is suddenly going to start writing web pages?
My issue is not with twitter per se as you seem to assume. I am not seeking to put back the clock to pre-twitter days (halcyon though they may have been). I was suggesting that I would prefer Andy Holt to use a different method of communication. How can there possibly be a "feast of information and insight" in a limit of 280 words?
cashman, pifco and monkey hanger like this.
Old 28-11-2018, 16:57   #41
Full Member+

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1219935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Good clubs have good websites, and we will be lucky to get 1100 on Saturday at this rate as fans unaware they are on sale, and if you wait until the day for sales lots drop out if it is cold etc like v Colchester.

fans know it will not be a sell out on saturday so what is the real need to purchase em in advance. prices and availabilty of purchase should have been published earlier for those who cannot wait.

It could save time, but that isn't the issue. Advance sales increase the attendance, so the club being blase about promotion of the tickets is just ****ing money away in my opinion.

Stanley may be in the black due player transfers, but they should be trying to maximise sales for all games.
cashman and pifco like this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 07:44   #42

Revived Red - it’s more than 280 characters. He can bang out, say, 5 tweets in a row on a certain subject. For example, if he’s putting across an argument about iFollow (the live streaming service). Maybe he’s sat on a train doing it. People (who could be fans of any club with an interest in the subject) will immediately respond to any of the points made, furthering more debate. The end result is really informative.

That just doesn’t work on a website as well. If it did, people would be using websites more. Websites work well for other things of course. And yes, announcing ticket prices is one of them.

The flip side, of course, is the sort of unsavoury incident where a Burnley fan/journalist at an Accy Luton match mistakenly accused their fans of racist chanting. The nasty ramifications of which still rumble on.
Old 29-11-2018, 10:25   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
The flip side, of course, is the sort of unsavoury incident where a Burnley fan/journalist at an Accy Luton match mistakenly accused their fans of racist chanting. The nasty ramifications of which still rumble on.
Well that's one flip side. Another is that hackers may get into your account and put you on a "combo list" where your account and password details will be bought and sold - along with millions of others. All twitter accounts are subject to hacking. This is from a recent report: "This week, dozens of high-profile Twitter accounts were hacked with swastikas and messages that supported Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan. But a top social media expert believes that it's not just high profile accounts that are at risk - it could happen to any of us".

And don't forget that there is an analytics tool called Twitter Counter that is also dangerous.

Anyway, I have said all I have to say on this matter. This was a thread about the FA Cup.
Old 29-11-2018, 10:55   #44

Last season we had an embarrassing FA Cup exit and then won the league.
Perhaps our recent slump means we'll thrash Cheltenham & draw Liverpool at home.
Prepare for re-runs of the milk advert!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 11:18   #45
Full Member+

I would prefare Liverpool away.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..