Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31   #1
Junior Member+

fa probe

Stanley promise full cooperation in betting probe | Football | The Guardian

hope you don't get a major punishment, but it aint looking good for you guys
shakers08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2008, 11:37   #2
God Member

Re: fa probe

Wow you are the bearer of breaking news, we hadn't heard about that

"IF" you were at the match you'd have seen it wasn't fixed

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 11:38   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakers08 View Post
Stanley promise full cooperation in betting probe | Football | The Guardian

hope you don't get a major punishment, but it aint looking good for you guys
What do you mean major punishment ? It aint looking good for you guys ? If the game was fixed then it takes two teams to fix a game. So let's hope you don't get a major punishment.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 15:44   #4

Me thinks the F.A are investigating that some idiot actually put a tenner on stanley winning a home game!!!!
Darwenred1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 16:33   #5

From Sky sports
The Football Association is to investigate Accrington Stanley's 2-0 loss to Bury on Saturday after it was alerted to 'a very unusual betting pattern'.

Bookmakers William Hill and Coral closed their book on the League Two match while betting exchange Betfair reported action far exceeding fixtures of a similar profile.

FA director of communications Adrian Bevington said: "This was a very unusual betting pattern - if the allegations are true. We were made aware of the situation on Friday.

"We will look very closely at the information Betfair and other bookmakers provide and take any subsequent action with the Football League and the two clubs concerned."

No proof

Stanley chief executive Rob Heys said: "The club was aware that betting was suspended on Friday on the Accrington v Bury game.

"At this moment in time we have no evidence to suggest any wrongdoing.

"We are going to investigate it fully and any wrongdoing will be severely dealt with.

"Nobody has confirmed to the club anything that has happened but we would welcome any further information."

Stanley manager John Coleman added: "There's no proof, we could see out there that we wanted to win the game."

Football League spokesman John Nagle told the People: "An issue has been raised with us regarding a match through existing monitoring arrangements."

<!--/ss-art-body/-->
Old 06-05-2008, 16:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwenred1968 View Post
Me thinks the F.A are investigating that some idiot actually put a tenner on stanley winning a home game!!!!
I actually laughed at that one
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:02   #7
God Member

whoever wagered the sums of money being mentioned will have an account with the bookie.

The bookies, not being ones to like 'being fleeced' will co-operate and release the names of the people involved. If a link is found it will be quickly and will involve immediate loss of employment and criminal proceedings.

I don't think that 'we' have anything to worry about, although an individual or two elsewhere may have. The top and bottom of it is that the price for Bury was way too high given their form, our poor home form and the fact that we had played inexperienced players in the previous game and were likely to do so again. Much of football has commented on the fact that the average bets placed total between 5-10k per game yet ours was £284k. Nobody seems to have picked up that the MK Dongs v Morecambe was over £200k and Posh v Darlo was £184k. It seems to me that whoever was in charge of odd setting for the bookies must have gone on holiday early and left all sorts of good prices around for the away wins.
Old 06-05-2008, 17:11   #8
God Member

FA PROBE....... Owch sounds painful.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:52   #9
Full Member+

I'm with Macca on this one.........

Being a betting man myself, I find it incredible that the bookies actually offered 2/1 at one point for Bury ( one of the top performing sides based upon recent form) to beat a Stanley side that has been truly dreadfull at home ALL season, losing 14 home games prior to this fixture. We also had the worst defence in the Division and had scored very few goals in all our games since New Years Day.

As Macca has said, we also fielded a few of the youngsters in what the end proved to be an inconsequential game (as far as deciding any promotion or relegation matters go!! )

As Coley says, anyone who watched the game would have seen that the lads tried to compete. The fact that they were beaten (albeit comfortably) by an in form side, doesn't detract from the fact that we did try to make a game of it, had numerous chances to score and were undone by a definate penalty and a quality finish by one of the better strikers in the division.

When all's said and done, If you like a bet and you had some money to wager, with bookies offering silly prices like 2/1, it was a bit of a no brainer wasn't it...

The one thing that makes me sick is the fact that I never looked at the fixed odds coupon last week, in fact I never had a bet this weekend. Otherwise, had I noticed the bookies offering such a ridiculous price, Id have broken one of my own rules, backed against my own side, lumped a bundle of bunce on and made a tidy profit.

I'ts my own opinion, but it smacks to me of the bookies spitting out their "collective dummies" and trying to hide their own embarrasment at a rather large, overpriced mistake.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 13:46   #10

F.A Investigation.

Allegedly according to the lancashire telegraph all the bets placed on Stanleys game versus Bury where placed in LIVERPOOL!! draw your own conclusions from this. I just hope its nothing to do with anyone connected to the club as we could be in serious trouble if anything to point the finger can be proven!
Old 08-05-2008, 15:11   #11
Senior Member+

Re: F.A Investigation.

Alrey said in other threads. How many do we need on one subject especially after the first one was deleted!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 16:57   #12
Senior Member+

And this one will go this same way if it gets libellous.
Old 08-05-2008, 17:00   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwenred1968 View Post
Allegedly according to the lancashire telegraph all the bets placed on Stanleys game versus Bury where placed in LIVERPOOL!! draw your own conclusions from this. I just hope its nothing to do with anyone connected to the club as we could be in serious trouble if anything to point the finger can be proven!
I would think that's libellous enough.
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 17:10   #14
Senior Member+

Boring, as it's already been said and done.
Old 08-05-2008, 17:16   #15
God Member

boring , it's already been said and done

oh hang on! so has that!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..