Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2010, 17:41   #1

Faith restored?

Faith Restored?

I am a Doncaster Rovers fan, always have been, always will be - “Rovers ‘til I die”. I have witnessed years of 4th division mediocrity, the fall into non-league and the meteoric renaissance to the Championship (division 2). Whilst not present at the recent 4-0 reverse by Craig Bellamy’s Cardiff City I did question my faith in my lifelong passion. Football is no longer a game of equals. Cardiff City, like several before them, has emerged from administration only to gamble thousands of pounds on players before the courtroom door had swung to!
Perhaps the Bluebirds, Crystal Palace, Portsmouth, Leeds and the like should be allowed to form their own “League of Cheats” – sponsored by HMRC? Or should that be “sponsored by Joe Public”?

And so to Tuesday 10th August, a rather unattractive Carling Cup 1st round home tie for Doncaster against Accrington Stanley. A game Stanley deservedly won even if only for their fanatical following! Non stop, beginning to end, 120 minutes of fervent drum bashing, chanting and singing. A revelation that prompted me yesterday to accompany my son to watch The Stanley entertain Wycombe at “The Crown” – international weekends do have their obvious benefits!

My experience at “The Crown” can only be described as emotional. It was, as my son Tom promised, just like revisiting Belle Vue (Rovers’ former ground). A concoction of open terracing and low stands – hardly what Lord Justice Taylor had in mind. With mandatory “Pie ‘n’ peas” in hand we took our place next to the Accrington “Ultra’s” – who purport to be “the best fans in England, maybe not by numbers, but by the noise we create and the passion we have for our team.”. A statement I now fully endorse. The match was preceded by a minutes silence to mark the sad death of “Coxy” – an Ultra original. Players, officials and fans linked arms in the centre circle in grief. The game was entertaining and highlighted by the 94th minute equalizer from the Stanley substitute Rory Boulding. But the most poignant moment was John Coleman’s walk to the Clayton End to applaud the Ultra’s and, pointing heavenwards, acknowledge “Coxy’s” last minute involvement. A manager and a club in touch with the fans.

As expected the match was accompanied non-stop by renditions of anthems, ballads and chants – the best (or most entertaining) being ‘Shoes off if you love Stanley!’ and the sight of 100 or so trainers being waved aloft! Hardly X-Factor. But the image of one 5 or 6 year old blond haired boy, at his parents side, stood on his chair and infront of the Ultra’s, gyrating his hips frantically to ‘Let’s Twist Again’ - provided the biggest smile of the day - even if he was wearing a Man City “Robinho” shirt. For me, like him. I was enjoying football – faith restored?
DRFCMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2010, 17:49   #2
God Member

Smile Re: Faith restored?

Welcome onboard Nice first post and great to see that somebody - other than us - thinks that what we have is special!! Our next home game is Lincoln City - Friday night...Maybe another chance to visit??? Best of luck for the rest of the season - unless you draw us in the F.A.Cup

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:03   #3

Re: Faith restored?

SOD's law I'm affraid - the Mighty Reds - in this case Doncaster are at home to the (not so mighty) Leeds s@@m (& live on Sky - whooppee dooo!!). So I'm sorry we won't be over. BUT - I've already started to look through the fixtures where we don't clash. One candidate is to Chesterfield & their new ground. Wil definitely be coming over again. I never EVER thought I would be interested in another club - but that has changed. REAL football - terracing - pies - singing = atmosphere!

I hope your "leader" gets off in court.... any update? Is he getting legal backing?

And also very sad to read about Coxy - very very upsetting. A close friend of mine (Rovers 'til I die) is also a serious alcoholic - I (we) don't know what to do to stop him going the same way.

CHEERS
DRFCMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:28   #4
Senior Member+

Fantastic 1st post!!

Welcome to the magic of the Stanley

smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:48   #5

Makes me proud to be a red that

R.I.P Coxy.
Old 05-09-2010, 19:35   #6
God Member

In a nutshell in one post DRFCMAD you have encapsulated the one thing that bonds us all as fans of Stanley through the good times & the bad which is Camaraderie.

This Club & Town has been through so much is it's exsistence & non exsistence in footballing terms it is something that bonds the fans together into not just supporters on matchdays but creates genuine friendships that reach far beyond 3pm on a Saturday.

It hooked me from the very moment I stepped on the Clayton End and has carried on from there with family and friends but it has instilled in me a virtue of belonging to something really special, something that is difficult to describe to people who have not been to Stanley before but if you could sprinkle it over people we would have full house signs up for every Home game.

At bigger grounds & club relationships are usually built in small numbers of people in the vicinty of your seat or people you stood with from years gone by on the terraces, Stanley in some ways is a hark back to those days of free standing and getting to know people whether that is with a smile, a nod or just chatting about the Club.

The Club is a community in it's own right if we can get that message across like you have in your post DRFCMAD then we are really on the way to something bigger in terms of bigger crowds and becoming a self sufficient club.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 19:45   #7

you may only be a small club but you have a huge heart as said by a member of coxys family yesterday sums us up very well
katei77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 20:44   #8

What a fabulous post. Very heart warming to hear that fans of another club can be so impressed by the support of a small lancashire club that they travel almost 100 miles to watch them in a game.

"There's something about Stanley" It grabs you with both hands and brings a smile to your face. The term "match day experience" is often used these days, but it's so true of matches at the Crown ground, and indeed following Stanley away.

Glad you and your son enjoyed your day. And a thoroughly good read. Thanx.
Larry Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 22:11   #9
Senior Member+

I echo all the above. Although I am Accrington born and bred, I now live some 40 miles away and my work does not allow me to attend all games. I have a partner and friends who are Wigan Athletic supporters, but yet they still come to the 'Crown' for proper football. The crowds may not be massive, but by god those Ultras more than make up for it. Great first post and even the support for Jase in the Faith Restored Part 2 thread.
Welcome on board the good ship Stanley.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..