Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2012, 21:29   #1
God Member

fighting talk and "if a player wants to move on ..." Winnard latest

longest pre-season thread title so far award goes to me!!!!

Anyway, the latest on Winnard according to Th'Ob is that we'll be trying to keep hold of him. First time in a long time that we've heard such 'fighting talk' coming out of the club, alas though, the article does contain the wording that "if a player wants to move on we won't stand in his way"

So, the question is, should we stand in their way?

If a player is under contract should we be telling folk to bog off? Fair do's if its a bigish move career wise, but if its a case of the player getting a dollop more cash for a weekly wage then whats that got to do with us.

By no means do I think that Deano would become a liability but I'll use him as the current example. Would Deano deliberately not pull his tripe out weekly if we made him stay? I think the majority of players that play for Stanley are triers and would continue to play their best - mainly because of the reasons why they end up in the first place. The likelihood is that if they spent a season pretending to be injured, or playing crap, then the buying club wouldn't want them anymore.

My opinion is that we should be telling contracted players that they are staying and if the other club (Stanleydale) really want them then they can stump up for them.
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2012, 21:40   #2
God Member

Re: fighting talk and "if a player wants to move on ..." Winnard latest

Demanding that a player stays when they want to move to another club is certainly counter-productive. That said, I wouldn't expect players in the mould of Winnard or Joyce to perform at levels which resemble anything other than their best effort, whatever the situation.
I think there's a balance to be struck between an ethos of only keeping players who want to be here and letting players go when the time is right; insisting that we are appropriately compensated for any under-contract players who wish to make a move. I am definitely in favour of the way Cook seems to be conducting his business post-season.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 21:48   #3

We need to emphasise to want-away players the number of ex-Reds who have sank without a trace after departing the Crown Ground. Cook needs to get across to players that he will only let them go if its's the best possible move. This could placate Deano et al.

"You're not going to Rochdale....but I'm doing you a favour because I know that if you put in anther good shift this season better clubs will come in for you".
Old 24-05-2012, 22:21   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
"You're not going to Rochdale....but I'm doing you a favour because I know that if you put in another good shift this season better clubs will come in for you".
Personally, I think we should be putting a longer and improved contract in front of Deano NOW. We should be showing him how keen we are to keep hold of him!! If he signs then we've more bargaining power when it comes to negotiating what would probably be another " undisclosed fee".....be that negotiating with Accy Old Boys or any other club for that matter, when the time comes.

If he doesn't sign, then we've a fair idea what his longer term intentions are. I can't help but think that Cooky will have his work cut out if a certain ex-manager has been whispering promises of "bigger & better things" in Deano's ear

If that's the case and Rochdale becomes preferred destination of choice for Deano,then we've got to make sure we get as much as we possibly can out of them.

Then again...if it ends up another "undisclosed fee" then we'll probably never know whether or not we've been bent over the barrell with regard to the transfer fee

Either that or tell Coleman that he's no longer welcome sniffing around his "former" and our current contracted players.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 22:43   #5
Senior Member+

It seems to me that things are being done in a much more professional way under the new regime. And I'm referring to off-the-field as well as playing matters. Perhaps the next step is to begin to discuss contract extensions during the season. If Toto, for example, continues his improvement, maybe discussions about a contract extension could start early in 2013.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 04:40   #6
God Member

In some ways contracts are the scourge of the modern game particularly higher up the leagues you go as there is less likelihood they are worth the paper they are written on.

Anyway back to this particular thread if a player want's away as others have said it is all about getting the best possible deal for the said player, players on one hand are only the same as most of us in that if somebody comes along and offers you perhaps more money and what is seen as a step up the ladder most of us would at the very least consider it if not take it.

A footballers career can also be relatively short in terms of threat of injuries, loss of form meaning sinking without a trace when contract comes to an end whilst on the other hand if the player becomes an integral part of the team and starts to get noticed it becomes a two pronged thing for the Club what is in the best interest of the Club as well as the player where the Manager has a key part to play in laying down their plans to both player and Club in terms of advice and perhaps clearing the air whilst the Club must ensure the wording on contracts in the first place is presumably done in such a way that perhaps there are clauses built in with the best interests of the Club at it's heart?

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 06:35   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Like it or lump it, Doubt if "Any" young player has ambitions to stay at Stanley fer his career, simple as! Only way i can see, is get em who look the ticket,on longer contracts, n when a bigger club comes knocking, its the best scenario fer us cash wise.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:46   #8
Senior Member+

Its the hardest thing a club of our size has to do is to try and keep a player happy. Let's be honest now that Macclesfield have gone, we are probably the smallest club in the Football League and the lowest payers.

As a result of this the scope of talent available to Cooky & Leam is quite small, with ex Premier League/ Championship youngsters Winnard, Barnett, Toto etc or lower league journeymen Kev Mc, Bavs for example, Being the kind of player we can attract. (Nothing wrong with that as we know) Added to this they ideally need to be within commuting distance of Accy as we dont pay enough for a player to uproot his family etc then we do limit ourselves.

I can see the club's reasoning for only handing out 1 year contracts as we simply cannot commit to more than that. I give you our old mate Craney as an example. 18 month contract at relatively massive wages if reports are to be believed and what did he contribute??? Sod all more or less in his final spell.

Football at League Two level in particular is like any job in the world. You get offered a better job (club) for more money then you leave, simple as that really. We saw it last summer with Ryan, Jacobsen, Gornell etc etc and no doubt we will see it this summer with Kev Mc for example.

A positive aspect however at our club is the opportunity to put yourself in the shop window for that move. If you give 100% us (the fans) will love you for a start and maybe just maybe you will get that chance.

As for Deano and Joycey im sure they are the kind of lad's that will always give 100% whatever club they play for, and if Rochdale want them this summer, they will have to pay a fee £50,000 each at least to buy out their respective contracts, Simple.

I agree that things seem to be more organised, off the pitch anyway
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 08:43   #9
Senior Member+

Smudgie,probably one of the best posts i have read for a long time.
The facts are he is an Acci player,loves it there,and has not been approached or spoken to anyone.
In reality,if Acci want to sell him him to make some money thats fair enough as when all said and done its a business.
There is a lot of banter shared between players/managers,but thats what it is "banter".
Hes only 22 and played nearly 150 games for Acci,and was suprised they never extended his contract for another 12 months(its not as tho hes on a top wage!!).
You can read that in a number of ways,but as i say thats football.
I would love him to see out his contract as i like Cookys footballing ideas and think it would give another dimension to his game.
Anyway me and the wife have told him,if he left,were still watchin Acci !!!
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 11:50   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
anyway me and the wife have told him,if he left,were still watchin acci !!!
buy that man a drink!
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..