Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 15:16   #16

Re: Finishing Position

Nobody is miserable - I'm just not gonna bury my head in the sand concerning what I perceive to be a lack of cover.
Old 04-08-2004, 15:22   #17
God Member

I agree with Jase.. If this defence took us to 10th and where involved in cup runs.. then we go and add more quality to it... How is that anyhting other than bloomin positive and great!
Old 04-08-2004, 15:26   #18

Talking Re: Finishing Position

Jeff/Ceejache, ok fair comment - its just the way people are going on about it gives me the impression that we have the worst defence in the league and this is not true... Perhaps its been subconciously neglected coz Coley was a striker in his playing days??? Anyway back to the topic - Eric wants top spot this time round so thats good enough for me too Lets show em what we can do...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!

Last edited by Jimbo T Hornblower; 04-08-2004 at 15:27.
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 16:12   #19
Resting In Peace

Spot on Jimmy, I think you have hit the nail on the head, John and Jimmy were both strikers so maybe they do concentrate more on scoring goals. I don't think we have the worst defence in the league by far, but all I am saying is that I think we would have a better chance than we have now if we sorted the defence out. O.K. we finished 10th last season, but look at the games we threw away with desperate defending in the last 10 minutes, we also had a centre half on loan from Preston last season - Darren Kempson - he has now left and not replaced so the centre of the defence has not been strengthened. I am happy with the positions we have strengthened, I am happy with Cavannagh and Howson, I am happy with Williams, quite happy with Hacker, but I think with an experienced centre half along side of Rocky or Hacker to organise it would improve our chances of getting promoted. Whatever the team picked, whatever the performance and whatever the results I will be there and I will give the team and management 100% support, but I do have my opinion. We are all the best managers in the world at picking a team but Coley gets paid to do it for Stanley and must be supported 100% by everybody at every game.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 17:40   #20

well said JEFF
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 18:52   #21

Smile Re: Finishing Position

I agree - Kempson was quality and will be missed. I am just hoping that the desperate defending and throwing of games in injury time/last 10 mins (Woking away Daggers at home come immediately to mind) was more due to a lack of fitness throughout the whole side (with an odd exception maybe) - thus inviting more pressure onto the back 4 - and not a lack of talent/skill - if Im right, it wont happen too often or as often this season... If it does then maybe questions can be asked. At this stage its all ifs and buts anyway....

Jimbo T blower

Old 05-08-2004, 13:11   #22
I am Banned

we are reet god some people pick on anything
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 14:46   #23

No S4L mate - its a potential weakness at the moment. Blind optimism gets you nowhere, as does ignoring minor problems in the team and hoping they go away or aren't exploited. How many times in our lives have we said "it's reet" only for situations to go tits up (in life, not just football)?

Its not picking - we want the team to do well but I'm just not gonna take the 'ostrich' approach.
Old 05-08-2004, 14:48   #24

No S4L mate - its a potential weakness at the moment. Blind optimism gets you nowhere, as does ignoring minor problems in the team and hoping they go away or aren't exploited. How many times in our lives have we said "it's reet" only for situations to go tits up (in life, not just football)?

Its not picking - we want the team to do as well as the next man. Constructive criticism is a term I'd prefer to use.
Old 05-08-2004, 14:48   #25

Its not picking - we want the team to do as well as the next man. Constructive criticism is a term I'd prefer to use. ;- )
Old 05-08-2004, 15:20   #26

did you send that three times just to get your point arcoss or what
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 16:49   #27

Nah, the server was fecked, didn't even realise that I'd sent it at all to be honest. Why on earth would I post three times to make a lucid and intelligible point - I need only post once for that to occur! :-) Some people manage to post many times without making a single interesting point!
Old 05-08-2004, 17:38   #28
Senior Member+

If you doubt the worthiness of a team built on a very strong defence I have one word for you.... Chester.
Old 05-08-2004, 19:15   #29

Is anyone paying attention? ;-) No one is doubting the worthiness of the team, just that our defence needs strengthening and it is a concern that we have no out and out back up in centre defence as of yet. Our defence is only slightly above average in Conference terms and it needs to be better if we are going to deliver what we are all dreaming of this season. One resolute defensive display against the champions doesn't mean we have a mean defence as against some other class sides (and some not so class ones) we were getting penetrated frighteningly often and only some poor finishing spared us - we conceded five to Northwich over the two fixtures. Another sign that we struggled at the back was the amount of yellows and reds that we picked up - now I know that we were the victims of **** poor reffing at times yet some were the result of the back four struggling to deal with the step up in attacking class, no doubt this year will see a better drilled back four in that respect and the years experience will have done some good. I have seen some good defensive displays by us over the last year, but these obviously weren't often enough hence our 10th place (which, of course, was an excellent placing in our first season). Our defence isn't bad by a long way, it is certainly not in the bottom 8/10 teams, BUT can you honestly rank our defence in the top 5 (thats were we need to be this season).

I'm not trying to be negative or contrary just for the sake of it - I am just trying to be candid and objective (which of course is difficult when your footy team is the subject I agree!).
Old 05-08-2004, 20:14   #30

Lightbulb Re: Finishing Position

How about waiting to see what they start like before assuming there will be no difference in quality this time around? And yes I reckon we can finish in the top 5 but lets see...

Jimbo T blower

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..