Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2004, 15:16   #1

Finishing Position

I think that Stanley can go up this season with a bit of luck and some better decisions made by the officials therefore less suspentions we have an excellent chance of promotion. The signings which coley has made seem to be good from what i have seen, and i think McEvilly will be excellent providing the bite from the bench or starting which we didnt seem to have last year.......So hears to a good season

Come on Yoooooooooouuuuuuuuu REDS
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2004, 19:00   #2

Re: Finishing Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyman
I think that Stanley can go up this season with a bit of luck and some better decisions made by the officials therefore less suspentions we have an excellent chance of promotion. The signings which coley has made seem to be good from what i have seen, and i think McEvilly will be excellent providing the bite from the bench or starting which we didnt seem to have last year.......So hears to a good season

Come on Yoooooooooouuuuuuuuu REDS
Last season, we exceeded expectations, and I think we can build on this.
I think we can have a good season, and that it will be an exciting one.
There is no reason, provided we don't become complaceant, that we cant go up - certainly get in to the play-off's.
davy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 19:48   #3
I am Banned

luck is on our side for the last 2 leagues we have had one season of 'settling in' the next we were up
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 21:35   #4
Senior Member+

Top half.... around 8th position.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:52   #5

Looking at the squad we've got, I can see no reason at all why we shouldn't win the league. I cannot see a weak area, and we have plenty of strength in depth.

Coley will have the nice dilema of choosing his best 11. Look at the midfield for example, who do you pick out of the likes of Brannan, Jagielka, Proctor, Flitcroft, Prendergast, Craney, & Cook. Up front we now have the added power of McEvilly. A tall task ahead, but I think we will be there or thereabouts come next Easter.

Old 04-08-2004, 10:44   #6
God Member

I think we should definately be in the play offs this season - we've done well in the pre-season games & the lads'll be fired up after the success of last season & having just gone full-time.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:51   #7
Resting In Peace

Probably lucky if we reach the play offs with the squad that we have and the defenders that we haven't. I have said it before - if we had a defence we would be dangerous.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:52   #8
God Member

There's nothing like optimism is there!!!!!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:06   #9

Angry Re: Finishing Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF
Probably lucky if we reach the play offs with the squad that we have and the defenders that we haven't. I have said it before - if we had a defence we would be dangerous.
Christ - change the record will ya?

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:55   #10

Jeff is right though! No point fooling ourselves into thinking differently!

I am very excited about the forthcoming season - but as I havent been able to see any pre-season games I am going to reserve judgement - although the lack of signings in the defence does worry me.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:12   #11

Question Re: Finishing Position

[QUOTE=Ceejache]Jeff is right though! No point fooling ourselves into thinking differently! [QUOTE]

Is he?? I dont think its anywhere near as bad as his postings make it out to be - we arent a Northwich or a Horwich RMI - there has to be SOME sort of organisation there otherwise we'd be conceding 8 every game but we're not and judging by Jeffs comments might there might as well not be a defence - I appreciate everyone has their own opinion - its just I disagree...

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:34   #12

I am somewhat unaware as to the extent of Jeffs observations regarding the defence. Whilst I agree that it isn't as bad as he may or may not be making out I still believe that two or three decent signings at the back would shore up a defence that was often penetrated rather too often by below average strikeforces last season. Shipping goals to the good teams is no disgrace, but not conceding against the poor teams is what brings you glory (amongst other things). Quite correctly we are not Northwich or 'Horwich' RMI but they are hardly the yardsticks against which we should be measuring ourselves.

I agree it isnt a major, major problem Jimbo, its just that whilst we have been filling other areas over the post/pre-season there has been no-one brought in for the defence, not even as cover (as far as I can tell). We should be striving to aim for the best in every position and I feel that the back has possibly been neglected. Far be it from me to say that this IS the case, and also I would never cast any doubts over the wisdom of the management, but this is just what I feel and it does worry me slightly.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:49   #13
Resting In Peace

Jimmy - I have not said that our defence is absolute rubbish, just that I am not confident of us winning anything until we organise it, and, if it was organised I would be confident of us winning the league. As for us not being a Northwich - remember - last season Northwich scored 30 goals in 42 league games. Which works out at 25 goals in 40 games, plus 5 in 2 games against us.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 13:28   #14

we have just signed a new left back for some un known reason as we already have howson an haworth but it is good to have back up
:engsmil: 4-4-2 is the future :engsmil:
Stanleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 14:40   #15
Senior Member+

Did we not draw 0-0 against the Shrews away & 0-0 against Barnet away? With a season under their belts in the conference & with a defence that led us to 10th in our first season.....we'll be reet!

Cheer up ya buggers

Jase

The Voice of the Terrace

www.stanleyultras.co.uk

Willie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..