Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2004, 17:03   #1

Angry Football...but not as we knew it.....

Maybe some of you have seen this, some of you won't have. This affects the whole of the football world - from Internationals to park footy. From BBC Sport -

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he is in favour of finding a way to avoid drawn matches.

Penalties would seem the most likely way of deciding match outcomes, but he has not said this would definitely be the chosen method.

"When you play cards or other games, there's always a winner and a loser," he told German news agency SID.

"We should have the courage to introduce a final decision in every game of football."

I think I speak for 99.9% of football fans when I say that this man has finally lost the plot. There needs to be some kind of coup in the ranks of FIFA soon or the game will be going down the toilet in the not so distant future, mark my words.

Todays statement, along with Blatters earlier lunatic ravings concerning tighter kits for the ladies game, shows just how much Blatter is trying to pander to America and the allmighty dollar - go ahead Blatter, it doesn't matter if football is turned into a parody of its former self as long as the benjamins start rolling into FIFA's pockets.....No offence to the Americans but if the majority of Joe Schmoes don't get the concept of a drawn game, or football on the whole, then tough luck. The game appeals to every ****** else enough as it is - leave it alone Blatter, or I will come looking for you!!!!!

I would be interested to know if anyone is in favour of Blatter's musings.
Old 27-04-2004, 17:09   #2

Re: Football...but not as we knew it.....

Defo lost the plot there.

For one what would happen to littlewoods pools with no draws to win on
Bottletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 17:19   #3

Dividend forecast - very low!!!

Blatter really is a prat isn't he? I've had as much as I can take from him - not only does he come up with ideas beyond stupid but he uses FIFA funds to cover the costs of his own 're-election campaigns'. On personal terms he's probably a nice guy, but as a professional administrator who holds the highest authority in the game I have nothing but contempt for him.
Old 27-04-2004, 17:25   #4
Senior Member+

Have to agree it seems an ill-thought out plan,it is worrying that one man could hold so much sway.
Btw well done Bottle top on your Good Samaritan act!
Old 27-04-2004, 19:41   #5

Thanks Lindsay, all I did was make a phone call, just shows how useful mobile phones can be.
Turns out I know the injured bloke and deliver milk to his mother, at the time couldn't tell who it was from all the blood etc.
Bottletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 20:09   #6
I am Band

This buffoon, Blatter, is trying to make the game easier for the Americans to understand, so he can re-market the beautiful game to them.
It will then be like American Football, whereby if the scores are tied at full time there is a period of overtime to detirmine a positive result. This serves a purpose for cup replays, but should not be extended to encompass the whole game.
Does he not understand that hanging on for a hard fought draw can be almost as satisfying as three points?

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 20:14   #7
Senior Member+

He's just spoiling the game
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 20:58   #8

Angry Re: Football...but not as we knew it.....

He's clearly on another planet. You can't avoid draws, and any attempt to do so would be an artificially grafted on monstrosity of a rule.

The only time you have to have a definite result is in a knockout championship. Any attempt to introduce penalty shoot-outs to league matches would screw up the competion.

Truly, the lunatics have taken over the asylum...
Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 21:24   #9

Talking Re: Football...but not as we knew it.....

All for tighter kits for wimmen though

Jimbo T blower

Born and Bred in Accrington - You cant BUY class

"We invented the big time now we're back in the big time" ( Loweiy circa 2006 )

AND THATS WHERE WE'RE STAYIN!!!!
Jimbo T Hornblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2004, 21:31   #10
Senior Member+

I can see why in certain sports Eg.....F1 grand prix changing the rules could make it more exciting.......... But the guy obviously has forgot what it's about.........
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004, 03:18   #11
Senior Member+

Mr s Oligist, just to let you know that as of this season draws have been introduced in all soccer games in the States by FIFA so may be its to help market the beautiful game to the French because in junior football in France they dont allow draws!

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004, 08:32   #12

Unhappy Re: Football...but not as we knew it.....

Just found more from his statement (ESPNsoccernet) -

'We can't be satisfied with draws. (Modern Olympic Games founder) Pierre de Coubertin has said that the important thing was to take part, not to win. 'That's not true. In life you have a goal and in sport, too, you have a goal which you want to achieve.'

Blatter said he did not like the principle of extra time, which has led to many dramatic moments over the years.

'The fact that there is a duel over two games which is then decided after extra time is not quite fair,' he said.

'After 90 minutes of the return leg, the tie should go straight into penalties. Extra time is like a second home game for the home team.'

Blatter, whose mandate expires in 2007, did not rule out seeking a third term and suggested Franz Beckenbauer should run for the presidency of UEFA.

'His job as president of the 2006 World Cup (in Germany) ends after the finals,' Blatter said of Beckenbauer. 'Then will come the vote for the UEFA presidency. I believe he should run for that, even if Michel Platini has ambitions.

'I believe those who come from football should have a say in football.'

From what he said I can't figure if he means all competitive games or just two-legged knock-out affairs. Elsewhere in the interview he says that if football you have to accept and live with the uncertainty of refereeing mistakes - well footy fans also live with the fact that sometimes the secong leg is played away, it's part of the game, makes it more interesting. The home team will surely still have an advantage mentally when it comes down to penalties due to fans behind the goals trying to put 'em off, unless of course its taken at the end where the away fans are then they will have an unfair advantage - the only fair way I can see is one man from each team in the centre circle doing keepy-ups - but the crowd have to be quiet so as not to put the other guy off and that....Obviously you see how ridiculous it all can get if you start meddling.....

If he is indeed talking about all competitive games then why introduce draws into the American game this season then say this only two months later?! Just been on an American forum and they seem as exasperated as most over here concerning his comments, seems that a big reason most American sports fans don't like footy/soccer is because of the diving issue....so c'mon Blatter....sort this issue out....because it's an issue thats coming to a head all over the football world - and it's one that we shouldn't have to live with because it's cheating.

As far as taking part not being important but winning (paraphrasing) - "it's better to have played and lost than to have never played at all". I see the spirit of the game is alive and well within the corridors of power.....
Old 28-04-2004, 11:07   #13
Senior Member+

Jimbo I'm ashamed of you!!!! All womens football needs is more support.(and no thats not a punn!!!)
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2004, 19:15   #14
I am Banned

penalties is wot he wants
Stanley4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 23:45   #15

Wow. Where to begin on this mess? Isn't it odd that those entrusted with the power to preserve and uphold the things we hold dear so often seem to be out of touch with the reality of how we think and feel? This Blatter moron reminds me so much of the idiot Commisioner of my beloved NHL here in the States who is slowly but surely sucking all of the tradition and passion out of the sport -- all in the name of a marketing scheme.

While I am not a big fan of the draw, I abhor the idea of allowing a team game to be decided by an individual competition. Granted, with the physical demands of playing the game and the substitution laws, it is not always feasible for a match to be decided on the field of play so, short of watching the players collapse, one by one, due to exhaustion, the penalty shootout is a necessary evil. It's just not necessary for every single match.

As for making this change to pander to our side of the Atlantic...the poor man is sadly mistaken if he thinks this (or any other change, for that matter) is going to kick off some sort of soccer revolution. He should concentrate on not alienating the fan base he does have around the world. Soccer is currently the most popular sport for children in America by a wide margin. However, as we have all seen, that doesn't necessarily translate to huge marketing dollars. Why? It's anyone's guess and, quite frankly, not likely to change any time soon. Ceejace, I don't think that diving has anything to do with it because all of the major sports over here have their own version of "simulation" that their detractors emphasize and their fans overlook. (I have a sneaking suspicion that the major reason has to do with the game being played without any stoppages for commercial breaks, but that's just my opinion.)

In an almost perverse way, I hope it stays that way. (You can't begin to know how much I enjoy the perplexed looks I get when I answer the question, "What does that A-N-F-I-E-L-D on your license plate stand for?") Those of us over here who follow the beautiful game don't need the validation of the rest of the American viewing public nor do we need the all-important bottom line intruding into our sporting life any more than it already does. All I ask for is an internet connection and enough satellite subscribers to keep Fox Sports World and GOL TV on the air.
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..