Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-03-2018, 16:27   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Forest Green game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
What’s also very nice is that no one has moaned about a referee now for exactly 14 games.
Can’t believe how quickly the standards must have improved.

(And whilst I’m in mischief mode, where is Chrisr to tell us the benefits of a rotation policy?)
Beg to disagree;

A comment about refereeing was expressed after the Cambridge match, just four games ago, by Lord Stiff Upper Lip, about poor refereeing which actually worked to our advantage in Jackson's goal.
Also there was quite a controversy and difference of opinion expressed on this forum after the Swindon match just eight matches ago!
(I didn't look back any further!)........Fourteen matches?

On Saturday v Forest Green Rovers, as I commented in my post match observations, both teams went all out to play good football. The result was a very entertaining match and only 18 free kick's awarded and no yellow cards. The match included good refereeing ....yes, but his job was made much easier by two teams fully committed to playing to the rules and not to play acting and rough house tactics etc!
AccyMad, cashman and Revived Red like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-03-2018, 17:50   #32

It's hard to put forward a case for better use of available subs when your 3 points clear at the top with a game in hand, but I can't help playing devil's advocate.
For the Prosecution; Jackson clearly not 100% & looking out on his feet after 60 minutes. Meanwhile, striker Zinzala remains unused.
Defence: Jackson scores a goal in the 92nd minute.
Prosecution; Johnson has a nightmare against FGR's left winger, who beats him time & again to create some of their most dangerous attacks.
Meanwhile, Big Ben & Harvey Rodgers warm the bench.
Defence; Johnson scores a goal within 3 minutes.

To sub or not to sub - that is the question?
Members of the jury, I rest my case.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 17:56   #33
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

For my money Jacko is one of our best young signings, he was not clearly fit, a groin can give you grief no question at all, So WHY not rest him and let him recover, Playing him whilst injured in the long run could cost us good money if he carries on progressing, so why the hell do it?
Old 18-03-2018, 18:49   #34
Full Member+

Quote:
What’s also very nice is that no one has moaned about a referee now for exactly 14 games.
Can’t believe how quickly the standards must have improved.

(And whilst I’m in mischief mode, where is Chrisr to tell us the benefits of a rotation policy?)
The benefit is not playing your best striker with a groin strain. I can't understand why the don has not gor MOM more in this season. He was a powerhouse in defence yesterday as were others but he stood out for me.
I have to say FGR played better than their position in the league says. But the league does not lie.

Last edited by Chrisr; 18-03-2018 at 18:53.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 20:44   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Forest Greens recent form Chris is actually better than Lutons, I read that pre sats game, which is why i commented on 1 thread i thought it would be harder than the sat before away at Luton. as i didn't go to luton this year i can't say it was really, but it was a hard match.
Old 18-03-2018, 21:51   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I have to say FGR played better than their position in the league says. But the league does not lie.
They had a poor start to the season, the main reason being that the manager wished to stay loyal to the players who had won promotion. He soon realised that some new blood was needed and they have improved considerably thanks to new arrivals such as Tahvon Campbell, Reuben Reid and my good friend Dayle Grubb.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:07   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
For my money Jacko is one of our best young signings, he was not clearly fit, a groin can give you grief no question at all, So WHY not rest him and let him recover, Playing him whilst injured in the long run could cost us good money if he carries on progressing, so why the hell do it?
a like for like substitution is something needed for me. no one is getting any game time whatsoever at the moment apart from the starting 11. at some point in the run in we are going to get injuries and the players who replace em may take a while to bed in.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:08   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Maybe because he doesn't trust the lad(s) that he would bring in ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:30   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
So whats your solution? make the lads injury worse?
Old 19-03-2018, 12:22   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
If he doesn't trust em, why did he sign em?
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-03-2018, 13:08   #41

I didn't think that anything looked wrong with Jackson at the time, I thought he was quiet due to FG having a lot of possession, but maybe you are right.

Callum Johnson had a hard time, but presumably you need to have some difficult afternoons in order to learn. I didn't think he had a nightmare though.

Hard to know what to do re subs when all is going well. It's a shame we don't tend to go 3-0 up after an hour - bringing on subs then would be so much easier.

(Whenever the opposition bring on a sub I'm always rather pleased. Usually it means they are putting a worse player than the one going off and just hoping for the best.)

I don't think we need to overly worry. The subs will still have a high level of fitness -
it's not like they've been out injured - Nolan, Rogers, Big Ben and Sousa should be able to slot in easily enough, Johnson and the Don seem fairly versatile.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 13:12   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

He was much slower than his usual self, many commented on that round us.
Old 19-03-2018, 16:49   #43

Quote:
Callum Johnson had a hard time, but presumably you need to have some difficult afternoons in order to learn. I didn't think he had a nightmare though.
Sorry Lord D! Can't agree with you on that.
Callum Johnson is a cultured young midfielder who's steadily improved since his debut.
I've been the first to praise some of his recent performances as 'Outstanding!'
However, in the role of right-back on Saturday, he looked lightweight against a quick & skilful winger.
Callum is creative & great in attack, especially overlapping down the wing.
But when it comes to stopping opposing forwards, give me Ben Richards Everton any day.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-03-2018, 17:09   #44
Senior Member+

I agree with you Lord Stiffupperlip about Callum Johnson.
He had a dodgy time in his first couple of matches but then got 'Up to Speed' and he has been really good since. On Saturday he was up against Forest Green's best player in their No 17. Callum got properly 'skinned' once, early on in the match, but with the help of Clarke, Brown and Coneely, who tried to get in front of Callum and close the winger down, he then did pretty well. I was well pleased for the lad when he got on the score sheet which will give him even more confidence for the big matches to come.
Regarding the 'Subs' I think that they will be as 'Fit as Butcher's Dogs' and will be 100% ready to play their part if someone gets injured or reaches the points total for a suspension! (Hopefully not!)

A couple of weeks without a competitive match could be good for Kayden Jackson to get some intense treatment, and possibly one or two others who may well be carrying little niggles.
I too have been really impressed with Big Ben earlier in the season but I can see how difficult it would be for the Management to change the 'Winning Eleven'.
Let's trust in John and Jimmy.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 20:57   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
So whats your solution? make the lads injury worse?
It’s not for me to create a solution I was just putting it out there.
What’s your take on why he doesn’t use them ?
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..