Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2005, 11:01   #1
Junior Member+

Friendlies

Hopefully we'll get a result at dundonald today but with a couple of weeks to go to the season we're yet to win a match..

I wonder if anyone knows the last time Stanley failed to win a pre season friendly and how we did that season. I think its yet to happen in my Stanley supporting career (since 89) but I believe old Stanley failed to win a pre-season friendly in 1961/2... ominous..
Old 30-07-2005, 17:01   #2

Re: Friendlies

there is a theory that if a team plays bad in pre-sesaon they tend to do well when the proper stuff begins and vice-versa. Just wait until the season - pre-season is rubbish anyway - its only purpose is to get players match fit.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:26   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
I wonder if anyone knows the last time Stanley failed to win a pre season friendly and how we did that season. I think its yet to happen in my Stanley supporting career (since 89) but I believe old Stanley failed to win a pre-season friendly in 1961/2... ominous..
As far as I remember Stanley only had two pre-season friendlies in 1961-62 - Rochdale away then Rochdale at home. Pre-season friendlies had only just been introduced, teams used to play two teams against each other - probables against possibles. But who cares about pre-season friendly results ? The gloves come off on 13th August against Canvey Island. Last season we lost to Great Harwood, Southport and Stafford Rangersin friendlies.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 10:51   #4
Super Moderator

Are you sure we didn't play Stockport in the run-up to the 61/62 season, Jeff? I seem to remember them coming to Peel Park - and beating us! Take your point about pre-season friendlies, though. Possibly, I'm reading too much into recent results.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 12:15   #5
Resting In Peace

It may have been Stockport, it was either Rochdale or Stockport away then at home.
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..