Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2018, 16:28   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Gillingham (H) match thread

Very poor display today, dunno why but not good to watch, last 20 mins was only time we were on top, probably cos Gillingham were sitting on a 2-0 lead. we did improve with introduction of subs but they were brought on too late, nowt new there is there?
keep the faith and accytom18 like this.
Old 04-08-2018, 16:31   #17

Big Ben MOTM anyone?

Scotty didn’t do it for me.... Seany did well though.
cashman, keep the faith and Chrisr like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 16:36   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Big Ben MOTM anyone?

Scotty didn’t do it for me.... Seany did well though.
We all said Ben.
keep the faith likes this.
Old 04-08-2018, 17:30   #19
Senior Member+

Maxted - thought he was poor today for their goals, did make some decent but expected saves
Johnson - poor game, offered little going forward
Sykes - out of his depth today
Hughes - was poor in patches but more concerning he didn’t lead as much as I would expect him to with a first time starter along side him
Richards Everton - MOTM, tried , did his all in the left back position
Clark - very poor game by his standards, didn’t beat his man often enough, final ball was not good enough, went missing first half
Connelly - poor first half, grew into the game
Brown - very poor first half, never really won his midfield battles
McConville - like Clark had no impact in first half, physically seemed a yard slower than the rest
Kee - some good hold up play but didn’t have a real chance all game
Jackson - very movie and put the effort in but didn’t have a real chance all game

Subs

Finley - thought he was poor and didn’t inspire any confidence based on that performance
Zanzala - didn’t get a single chance , difficult to impact the game with less than 10 mins to go
No 3rd substitute - poor from Coleman

Overall , poor tactical set up and performance.
Worth mentioning Charles Cook and Hanlan out wide for Gillingham, they have got 2 good players there
Zakuani an absolute rock at the back for Gillingham
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 17:39   #20
Senior Member+

It was a very frustrating match for the Stanley players and supporters today.
Callum pulled out of a tackle 40 yards out and their lad then waltzed past a couple more defenders before setting up his team mate to score the opener.
I am sure that Callum will have learnt a lesson there today. Having said that, if Callum had gone in to that tackle hard and got the opposing tackle that occurred in the second half, (which should have earned a
RED CARD), then Callum could be in hospital tonight with a broken leg!
With the loss of Janoi and Jimmy Dunne our defence looked quite unbalanced and unsure of themselves. We also failed to dictate any real spells of play in midfield.
Billy worked hard as usual with very little help from the referee once again. I thought that the ref got worse as the match proceeded. He allowed The Gills to get away with too many little pushes and failed to show the Red Card when it was needed! The Gills players used their experience and took advantage of the lenient refereeing when they eventually came under some pressure in the last twenty minutes. We should have a had a penalty late on which would have given us a consolation only.
We just weren't good enough today but I am certain that the lads will only get better when the season settles down after the transfer and loan windows close. Also the 'new defence' will learn to play better together as they get matches under their belts.
I really wish that we could get Jimmy Dunne back for another season.
Finally, I thought that Sam Finlay looked quite good when he came on in midfield.
KEEP THE FAITH
ON STANLEY ON
AccyMad likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 17:51   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Agree about the ref he was very poor, but that display it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference if he had been great, imho
Old 04-08-2018, 17:59   #22

I thought Finley did pretty well. Made an immediate impact.

I see the grumbles about the ref have resurfaced. Coincidentally we lost. The only decision I thought he got wrong was not booking Jackson for his dive for a penalty.
Billy wasn’t good enough against their pretty solid defence, after a decent start. He looks like he’s lost a fair bit of weight though.

I’ve not seen Sykes before but he looked ok to me.

Maxted also looked ok, but maybe he could have done better with their 2nd goal?

As per this time last year it’s question marks over our central midfield.
chopper5 likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 18:23   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Finley put himself about when he came on, Zanzala also for the few mins he was on. J.C. to me still has much to learn about use of subs. dunno why hes been doing the job long enough.
Old 04-08-2018, 18:51   #24
Full Member+

We were brought down to earth today. Pity, the expectation levels were high and there was a decent crowd. Thought Gills played well and were better organised. Much to think about for our management team. Maybe 3 at the back as in the 2nd half is the way to go ?
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 18:58   #25
Senior Member+

Ref was okay today, I don’t think it was a red card any more than McConville penalty appeal was lame at best.

We can’t be relying upon favourable referees to win games, need to do it ourselves.

Every league and every game is the same, you win the midfield battle you generally win or draw the game.
Not once did we win the midfield battle, that was the main problem today although a poor central defence and iffy goalkeeper didn’t help matters.
In some respects, one could argue their chances came from losing the midfield battles which put the defenders in a difficult position.

Give Sykes credit for one thing, his tactical yellow card was clever.
He was caught ball watching and out of position and the Gills striker would have been clean through.

Let’s all hope Coleman can find some rough gems before Fridays deadline.
cashman likes this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 19:14   #26
Senior Member+

no excuses Gillingham were the better team on the day, we had two shots kick off the goal line by defenders with their goalie beaten that's as good as it got for Stanley, though not at all despondent our time will come
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 20:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Maxted - thought he was poor today for their goals, did make some decent but expected saves
Johnson - poor game, offered little going forward
Sykes - out of his depth today
Hughes - was poor in patches but more concerning he didn’t lead as much as I would expect him to with a first time starter along side him
Richards Everton - MOTM, tried , did his all in the left back position
Clark - very poor game by his standards, didn’t beat his man often enough, final ball was not good enough, went missing first half
Connelly - poor first half, grew into the game
Brown - very poor first half, never really won his midfield battles
McConville - like Clark had no impact in first half, physically seemed a yard slower than the rest
Kee - some good hold up play but didn’t have a real chance all game
Jackson - very movie and put the effort in but didn’t have a real chance all game

Subs

Finley - thought he was poor and didn’t inspire any confidence based on that performance
Zanzala - didn’t get a single chance , difficult to impact the game with less than 10 mins to go
No 3rd substitute - poor from Coleman

Overall , poor tactical set up and performance.
Worth mentioning Charles Cook and Hanlan out wide for Gillingham, they have got 2 good players there
Zakuani an absolute rock at the back for Gillingham

I thought Clark and Connelly were both very poor today hope this league isn't a step too high for them, I feel it is.... hope JC can get a GK in this week for all our sakes
Old 04-08-2018, 21:17   #28

We've become so used to winning that defeat comes as a bitter pill.
Sometimes you have to take it on the chin & accept that the best team won.
The Gill's were stronger, quicker & more skilful today & deserved the points.
Their movement, especially off the ball, was lightning quick & their passing fast & accurate.
Stanley by comparison were nervous, pedestrian & oh so predictable, especially on set pieces.
Our forwards were never in the game today, largely due to the Gill's domination of midfield.
There were times in the first half where our defence was all at sea & the marking for their goals was abysmal. The scoreline could have been much worse.
No one in red had a good game today, but those who are pointing the finger at Maxted for this defeat are quite frankly deluded.
Last season we played like a League 1 team. Today we looked very much League 2.
cashman, caretaker and pifco like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:35   #29

I was not at the game, and can only read about it, but I just wonder if that some of the players made more mistakes and had a worse game than the referee.

Possession- 60% Stanley 40% Gillingham.
Shots- 17 Stanley 11 Gillingham.
Shots on target-4 Stanley 5 Gillingham.
Corners- 8 Stanley 5 Gillingham.
Fouls- 10 Stanley 19 Gillingham

These are press association stats.
Accyborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:41   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
We've become so used to winning that defeat comes as a bitter pill.
Sometimes you have to take it on the chin & accept that the best team won.
The Gill's were stronger, quicker & more skilful today & deserved the points.
Their movement, especially off the ball, was lightning quick & their passing fast & accurate.
Stanley by comparison were nervous, pedestrian & oh so predictable, especially on set pieces.
Our forwards were never in the game today, largely due to the Gill's domination of midfield.
There were times in the first half where our defence was all at sea & the marking for their goals was abysmal. The scoreline could have been much worse.
No one in red had a good game today, but those who are pointing the finger at Maxted for this defeat are quite frankly deluded.
Last season we played like a League 1 team. Today we looked very much League 2.
Agree completely with this post.

Very sensible in my opinion.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..