Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2021, 16:36   #31

Re: Gills match thread

Well if Hull were watching....they won't be expecting too much on Tuesday. Butchers injury a real problem..thats the worst thing that's happened today....did anybody else see an elbow?
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2021, 16:42   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thought i did but drysdale didnt want too.
Old 16-01-2021, 16:55   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
Well if Hull were watching....they won't be expecting too much on Tuesday. Butchers injury a real problem..thats the worst thing that's happened today....did anybody else see an elbow?
On the other hand if they watched us last Friday & again today, they'll be as flummoxed as the rest of us & won't know what to expect - lulling them into a false sense of security
Hope Matt Butcher is ok, we really missed him after his injury - didn't see how it was inflicted & neither apparently did Mr. Drysdale
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 16:59   #34
Full Member+

Evans has put teams out playing a physical game (and sometimes cheating) throughout his career and we were poor in adapting our game to counteract his tactics.
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 17:02   #35
Senior Member+

Referee Drysdale is poor.. we all know that, and once again he lived up to his reputation, even turning up in semi-disguise with shaven head and full beard !.

But this does not detract from the lack of drive, cohesion, craft, and even basic football skills which was clearly there to see throughout the team this afternoon.
A trend which if not quickly and surely reversed might well see a return to mid-table anonymity!.

The Gills performance was exactly as expected and did little to add to a dreary and uninteresting game. But isn’t this what Steve Evans believes to be the way to present football to the masses ?.

Hull City looms large , and much more will be needed from all picked to play against them. Hope it appears !.

( If you think my post is somewhat grumpy then blame it all on Lockdown lethargy ! )... ON STANLEY ! ON TO GREATER THINGS !!.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 18:36   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Giveover the ref didn't make us lackluster nor did he make us lump aimless passes upfront, our midfield was poor today Russell might as well not have come on for Butcher Pritchard unusually quiet, think Coley dropped one putting Sykes at wing back showed by switching him second half.Ok the ref probably got the penalty wrong but today we were beaten by the better side on the day. We even playing so poor had some chances which is a positive when you're having a bad day but we managed to squirm those very tough game away at Hull Tuesday.
On the money Andy.
Ref didn't lose us this we were poor and at times bullied.
Getting fed up of our forwards whinging and moaning throwing the hands up.
Sooner see you hand a bit out.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 18:57   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
On the money Andy.
Ref didn't lose us this we were poor and at times bullied.
Getting fed up of our forwards whinging and moaning throwing the hands up.
Sooner see you hand a bit out.
The forwards and midfield looked like strangers at times like I said earlier we just didn't click today, one forced substitute then one more after 80 minutes would have thought has apart from a ten minute spell at beginning of second half we were pretty second best surely the time for change but I ain't the boss, hopefully a better performance Tuesday many changes I wouldn't think so unless a new face or two sign on.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 19:00   #38

Well that'll teach us!
They do say that pride comes before a fall.
Was this the same Stanley that embarrassed Charlton at the Valley & beat the Gills on their own midden?
Or was it back to the 'Jekyll & Hyde' Stanley of old?
Ruthless & efficient at dispatching victims with ease when out on the prowl, reverting to a hapless walkover back home once the serum has worn off.
Let's hope Mr Hyde returns to stalk the KCOM stadium next Tuesday.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:25   #39
God Member

yesterday was just a train of events that cost stanley. butcher going off injured, the ross no foul that eventually led to their winner, hitting the bar when the free header should have been on target then the push on hughes when he was going for the header. even with drysdales willingness to penalise stanley at every opportunity and his nelsons eye approach to them another day we,d have won. for a good number of years now stanley seem to save their best performances away from the wham and when there is anything that goes wrong it always seems to be at the wham.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:30   #40
God Member

[QUOTE=StanleyJosh;

One game doesn’t define a season.[/QUOTE]

it shouldn,t but its not always the case. think over the years there has been a game where we won after an average season when the side then kicks on. the opposite can happen too. might be just a co incidence but it happens.
Old 17-01-2021, 08:39   #41
God Member

[QUOTE=yonmon;1249231]Referee Drysdale is poor.. we all know that, and once again he lived up to his reputation, even turning up in semi-disguise with shaven head and full beard !.

its not just stanley fans that think this. he is dreaded at doncaster for a start when they get him with a regularity of similar performances as we got yesterday. i know myself you can only give what you see but the law of averages should say you,ll miss things for both sides. that certainly was not the case yesterday. if coley does say something about him thats totally true then we will no the outcome. a big fine from the FA. about time refs are more accountable and not being allowed to hide behind their employers as much.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 17-01-2021, 08:44   #42

Wink Re: Gills match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
it shouldn,t but its not always the case. think over the years there has been a game where we won after an average season when the side then kicks on. the opposite can happen too. might be just a co incidence but it happens.
Maybe Monkey, if you believe in those sorts of "happenings". But I don't. I think Coley put his finger on it during his interview. He was at fault yesterday and not as he said for getting the players up for the game. First of all he experimented with the player choice to accomodate what he see's as our best players.....playing some out of position.......the midfield was all over the shop during the game......something definately wrong there.......and I can't put my finger on it..........Plus of course Evans got the tactics right, pressing us high and making the defenders go long most of the time to our forwards by-passing the midfield......against the Gills we probably needed another grafting midfielder alongside Seamus to help break up play, win the ball back and play the simple balls forward to our creative midfielders......Just some thoughts.....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:05   #43
Full Member+

John Doolan was very vocal during the first half in attempting to get Seamus on the ball more to break up play and create the link in the passage between defence and attack.
I was surprised at how high up the pitch he was playing for large parts of the first half considering Sean and Johnny Russell are much more attacking midfielders.
As has been previously mentioned, we are trying it seems to fit our best 11 players into a system that may not suit them.
McConville in particular has struggled in the CM roll. A switch with him and Pritchard is a possibility. I think Coley made the right decision swapping Sykes and Nottingham after the first half, but we were just too sluggish throughout the pitch.
Game of small margins though and I hope this is a sign that we are a good team that even when we played below par, we still had chances. Seamus’s strike from my position didn’t look like it missed by much, Colby and Notts both had free headers.
Hopefully Butchers noggin isn’t too badly broke and he is back in contention ASAP.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:08   #44
Full Member+

Scrap the Seamus strike part - just seen the highlights, miles off haha!
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:14   #45
God Member

Don't forget as well Charles really should have scored in the 6th minute had that gone in different game has Stanley's heads would have been up, but Butcher was a big miss to me Coley made a couple of mistakes ( he isn't infallible ) Sykes should have started in the back 3, should in my opinion brought Uwakawe on and moved Pritchard inside Russell hasn't had a decent performance for a while, would it have made a difference who knows positive,s had we took the chances playing badly we would have won, referee irrelevant same for both sides, Conneelly even though it's his job as Captain spent far too much time talking to him concentration should be on the game even so he was one of our better players yesterday.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..