Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2016, 15:23   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Good luck from Wycombe

Westley is the lowest of the low, its possible he made the Satanage fans what they are today? I truly detest the place, Love going to Wycombe n Dagenham n such places, but certainly NOT that place.
Old 02-05-2016, 15:50   #17
God Member

As others have said, the depth of dislike for Stevenage goes back way before our 2 play off games against them, the way Westley shafted Farnborough in order to acquire them sticks in the throat of many a football fan & we're no exception to that.
Add to that the vitriol received from many of their fans during our conference winning season & the attitude & behaviour of their players, manager & fans during those play off games & you get an idea of why there is such bad feeling towards them & why it seems like karma that our promotion hopes could be realised at our own ground with them there to witness it.
The sour taste those grapes would leave their fans with should it happen would be the icing on the cake with a cherry on the top
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 17:57   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycombe fan View Post
That would have been a red kite - loads of them around here as the breeding programme was just up the road near Stokenchurch. Come down in early autumn and we get loads of partridges, often on the pitch during matches. More entertaining than the footie sometimes.

To be honest I didn't see or hear anything negative from you lot - just a lot of very loud, positive, celebratory singing for the whole game. Best away contingent of the season I'd say (Pompey were great too).

Quick question - there seems to be plenty of animosity towards Stevenage among Accy fans - is that down to a specific match? I know they were widely disliked under Westley (sadly something we seem to be getting a similar rep for this season). Guess that'll make next Saturday even tastier if so. Can't see you'll really need to rely on our performance.
Thanks for that. I thought it was a Red Kite. It was casting a shadow across the pitch even when I couldn't see it because I was fairly well back with The Stanley Ultras singing my head off.
The Stanley Ultras are always brilliant!!!
Over the last few seasons I have travelled away sometimes when there has only been about 50 of us and we have often outsung the opposing home fans. For example, at Bradford City for a couple of seasons when they were in League Two when we have taken maybe 120 supporters and we have matched 12,000 of them!
There is a big effort going on at Stanley under Andy Holt to get more youngsters involved by offering FREE season tickets next season for Under 12's if bought along with an adult purchase!
As for Stevenage, they were somewhat brutal against us in the Play Offs five years ago under Westley and they literally kicked our players off the park.....Hence the dislike!

Last edited by choirboy; 02-05-2016 at 18:00.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 22:11   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Hmmmm, yes the flare was unfortunate
To be a bit more accurate, it was illegal, possibly injurious to anyone with a lung problem - and certainly frightening for young children as my three grandchildren will confirm. But let's ignore them - they obviously don't count amid the Stanley euphoria.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 23:25   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
To be a bit more accurate, it was illegal, possibly injurious to anyone with a lung problem - and certainly frightening for young children as my three grandchildren will confirm. But let's ignore them - they obviously don't count amid the Stanley euphoria.
I'm with RR on this one - with a less relaxed set of stewards, or an over-zealous police presence, it could have soured the whole wonderful atmosphere that otherwise surrounded the day. I didn't see how it got from where it was set off at the back of the stand to where it ended up in the middle of the families at the front - hopefully not lobbed thorough the air, which would have been exceptionally dangerous, but I'm not sure how else it could have.

My man of the match goes to the fan who carried it out to the front so it could be dunked in the firebucket - respect

Hopefully our own stewards will be on the lookout for any attempted repetition on Saturday, so allow time for extended bag searches folks - and we'll know who to thank for that.

Back to the positives - maybe not the prettiest of games but a great result, and promotion is still in our hands. On Stanley On!!
Old 03-05-2016, 03:04   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
Wow! Talk about quoting something out of context - nowhere in my original post did I condone the flare or say anyone affected by it didn't matter, of course it was out of order but don't let what I actually posted get in the way of your interpretation of it
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39   #22
Senior Member+

Sorry AccyMad. We seem to agree on most things but I felt that your use of the word "unfortunate" to describe the flare incident was not really strong enough. To me, it was more than "unfortunate".

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...-football-fans
Old 03-05-2016, 09:14   #23
God Member

Fair enough RR, I remember being in the midst of one set off at Stevenage & it is not a good situation to be in, especially like you say if you have children with you.
We were fortunate on Saturday that we weren't too near it - doesn't mean I don't know the dangers of them though & didn't mean to make light of the situation - friends?
Revived Red likes this.
Old 03-05-2016, 14:36   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
friends?
Certainly
Old 03-05-2016, 15:50   #25
God Member

Given the outcome of the flare at the Newcastle game I'm staggered anyone still thinks it's worth doing.
Only the club and/or its fans (often the wrong ones) will suffer from stunts like that and I doubt if our 'servants' in the Lancashire Constabulary would take such a common-sense and benign approach as did the Wycombe stewards.
Well done to whoever it was dealt with such stupidity.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..