Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2016, 11:06   #1

Good luck from Wycombe

Hello there. I can't speak for all Wycombe fans but I imagine I speak for a lot of them when I wish you all the best for promotion this season. Yesterday I thought you were one of the best attacking teams we've seen at Adams Park this season, and your fans were incredible - never shut up all game. If Wycombe fans were muted - and sparse in numbers - it's because we've been pretty awful since the turn of the year; we have a reputation as an overly physical team and while we're probably no worse than many in League 2, we are no fun to watch right now.

Hope you make it over the line next week. It gives hope to all small clubs, ourselves included.

Rest assured, poor as we are at the moment, we'll be doing everything we can to beat our unloved neighbours up the M40 next week.

Once again, best of luck.
Wycombe fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2016, 11:12   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Good luck from Wycombe

Cheers mate, always enjoy me visit to Wycombe, though was unable to make it yesterday, always found in general the fans are ok, no airs n graces just downright ok people. have to say its one of me favourite venues. hope yeh get summat next week, would sure help imho.
KiTChener and Revived Red like this.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:25   #3
Full Member+

What a nice gesture. We were made more than welcome yesterday , even a beer tent waiting. It was a grand day out with added sunshine. Good luck next week end , hope you can win , if you play like yesterday I would say the odds are in your favour.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52   #4
God Member

Cheers, thank you for those comments - we had a brilliant day & think yours is one of the most welcoming grounds I've been to, good luck against Oxford next week - if you can make it a little more comfortable for us we'd be grateful
Greeny and sherry like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:57   #5
God Member

Almost a 'home' game for Mrs Exile and me and has always been a favourite venue. Thanks, and hope you find your scoring boots for next Saturday. You created a few good chances but, fortunately for Stanley, they came to nought. Next week may they all go in!

By the way, bit of a long shot, but I found two tickets for the Oxford game on the pavement as I was leaving Adams Park and have emailed the club to ask if they can track down the owners. Am happy to post them if they can let me know.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:43   #6

Thanks Wycombe fan - gotta say that on the wander back to the car every single WWFC fan I passed said congrats & good luck - class.
AccyMad, Greeny and sherry like this.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 20:38   #7
God Member

Thanks for the kind words and all the best for the future
monkey hanger likes this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 20:41   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALAIRIAN View Post
Thanks for the kind words and all the best for the future

Especially next week against Oxford
Old 01-05-2016, 21:02   #9
Senior Member+

Thanks for the gracious comments Wycombe Fan.
I agree with others that your club made us very welcome and that your Stewards did their job just right. They were friendly and sensible enough to allow us to stand and jump up and down without any intrusion.
If I had to live 'dahn sahth' then Wycombe would be the sort of club that I would associate with.
ps. I think you have a smashing ground in quite a lovely spot. I noted during the match that there was either a Buzzard, (or was it a red Kite?), constantly soaring above the centre of the pitch! Of course it could have been a remote controlled Drone from the FA spying on the Referee!
GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK
Greeny likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:09   #10
Senior Member+

Yesterday was my third visit to Adams Park - and I have to say that the fans are the most welcoming and friendly I have ever met. And the stewards are brilliant.

I feel I should apologise for the obscenities shouted out by one Stanley idiot - and for the flare. Those responsible are mindless morons who could so easily damage the reputation of Stanley fans. Anyone who knows those responsible should invite them to stay well away from Stanley games in future - we do not want them.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 21:36   #11
God Member

Hmmmm, yes the flare was unfortunate in what was otherwise such a brilliant hassle free day.
Didn't hear the obscenities, just all the positive chants & songs but agree if someone was out of order, it's not needed at Stanley although if, out of almost 600 followers we only had one idiot it's not bad going is it?
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:16   #12
God Member

Didn't hear the obscenities, just all the positive chants & songs but agree if someone was out of order, it's not needed at Stanley although if, out of almost 600 followers we only had one idiot it's not bad going is it?[/QUOTE]

Mansfield town fans take note.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 14:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Thanks for the gracious comments Wycombe Fan.
I agree with others that your club made us very welcome and that your Stewards did their job just right. They were friendly and sensible enough to allow us to stand and jump up and down without any intrusion.
If I had to live 'dahn sahth' then Wycombe would be the sort of club that I would associate with.
ps. I think you have a smashing ground in quite a lovely spot. I noted during the match that there was either a Buzzard, (or was it a red Kite?), constantly soaring above the centre of the pitch! Of course it could have been a remote controlled Drone from the FA spying on the Referee!
GOOD LUCK NEXT WEEK
That would have been a red kite - loads of them around here as the breeding programme was just up the road near Stokenchurch. Come down in early autumn and we get loads of partridges, often on the pitch during matches. More entertaining than the footie sometimes.

To be honest I didn't see or hear anything negative from you lot - just a lot of very loud, positive, celebratory singing for the whole game. Best away contingent of the season I'd say (Pompey were great too).

Quick question - there seems to be plenty of animosity towards Stevenage among Accy fans - is that down to a specific match? I know they were widely disliked under Westley (sadly something we seem to be getting a similar rep for this season). Guess that'll make next Saturday even tastier if so. Can't see you'll really need to rely on our performance.
choirboy likes this.
Wycombe fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:11   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycombe fan View Post
Quick question - there seems to be plenty of animosity towards Stevenage among Accy fans - is that down to a specific match? I know they were widely disliked under Westley (sadly something we seem to be getting a similar rep for this season). Guess that'll make next Saturday even tastier if so. Can't see you'll really need to rely on our performance.
Actually two matches - the play off semi- finals 5 years ago. We didn't realise that Satanage and the refs were playing according to the laws of rugby. Cynical, win at all costs performance,
And talking of Westley, Google his name with Farnborough Town to get the low down on him.
Westley's legacy leaves Farnborough in the red - Telegraph
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 15:17   #15
God Member

I think the animosity to Stevenage is just reciprocal for thwir dislike of us. It goes back to when we were running away with the Conference and they were pi55ed off that oyr ground would pass inspection when they had been refused promotion a good few years earlier. John Coleman is a manager who invites personal dislike from rival fans and he'd had a running spat with Hereford for a number of years. This translated into a hateed for the club on the conference forum, but funnily enough only from the season of success onwards :-). Stevenage were quick to jump on our backs that season and thus it continued. They ARE a horrible club, they DO HAVE a number of truly disgusting fans, and they ARE synonymously associated with one of the most despised men in football

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..