Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2006, 13:33   #16
Super Moderator

Re: Great Win Today

TM, don't understand how he's used racial stereotypes. If he'd commented about the size of Boco's wedding tackle, then he would've been guilty...but he didn't and he could quite easily have made the same comment about a white bloke.
Old 01-10-2006, 14:03   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
TM, don't understand how he's used racial stereotypes. If he'd commented about the size of Boco's wedding tackle, then he would've been guilty...but he didn't and he could quite easily have made the same comment about a white bloke.
Actually he did make comments (since edited) about the size of Boco's wedding tackle and that clearly does act to reinforce racial stereotypes. By making these 'innocent' comments, the effect is no different than the connotations implied by the other ignorant comments highlighted earlier.

Zero - you seem to be naive in the ways that racism is perpetrated and reinforced, but I have no doubt that you meant well. However, comments such as those you reported need to be dealt with via the proper channels. A criminal act has been committed and by not 'running to teacher', an opportunity has been missed to send a very strong anti-racist message.
Old 01-10-2006, 14:08   #18

Agree anyone making racist comments deserves to be thrown out

Anyway, back to the game: I also think we get it forward to early & too directly - often without our defenders taking a touch, just volleying when they've got time to do more. OK Mullin wins practically everything he gets near, but it ends up in losing possession more often than not, as no-one gets near the flick ons.

Also, if Craney realised he doesn't have as much time on the ball as he thinks, the chances of more telling through balls like at Bury would increase.

Congratulations to Coley for his courage - I'd have put a defender on with five minutes left, & great to see Mangy score one for the first team. He's putting them away regularly for the reserves, and needed to get on the score sheet.

Tommy Mooney: couldn't make my mind up. Shrek or Jabba the Hut?
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 14:12   #19
God Member

as well as those comments, its a hige kick in the teeth for mick shultz by the people who brought larger onto the terrace! This is against league rules and if found by a copper could result in large fines for the club!

mick is bending over backwards by opening the clubhouse for stanley fans to use before kick off which has happened for he last two game but word of mouth obviously isnt good enough cause i was in there yesterday, and it was dead!

Do you really want to have to be searched before you go through a turnstyle cause if this continues i think it will lead to this!
Old 01-10-2006, 14:36   #20

When I made my feelings clear the nonsense stopped. I didn`t feel it necessary to go getting anyone ejected over a moment of stupidity. If people hear these comments they should not hold their tongue, people are much less likely to use this abuse if they know that other people around them don`t agree.
I`m sorry for being so blunt in my original write up as I was a bit drunk and wanted to make it as clear as poss. After an otherwise fantastic afternoon that small moment had been niggling my mind all night so much so that at 5am I was still angry. I saw Rommy`s eyes when this was going on and felt ashamed.
My first visit to Accrington in 1978 was as a member of the ANL protesting against the NF marches down Blackburn road, I dont think I`m racially naive. The terminology I used was a repeat of what I heard. If you hear it speak out.

Anyway this is not a post about racism in football, it`s a post about how well Stanley did in securing all 3 points against a very good team.

I forgot to mention that Craney`s free kick made Beckham look pretty average didn`t it.

No-One is completely useless........
They can always serve as a bad example.
www.panjenix.co.uk
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 15:16   #21
Senior Member+

In some games it is better to play hoof ball with teams like Darlo who have big men so its not as easy because they break us down.

But when we play teams like Barnet and Wrexham who like us, like to get the ball down on the floor we absolutly paste em!!
Old 01-10-2006, 16:24   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
Actually he did make comments (since edited) about the size of Boco's wedding tackle
I saw the comments before they were edited (and, as I write, they're still on view in the quote you included in your initial post) and I saw no reference to size. Still. let's hope the whole incident was a one-off.

Surprised no one has mentioned Andy Todd yet, as I thought he made a huge contribution to the game. He looked shattered when they took him off and I'm not surprised with all the effort he put in.

Encouraging to see that we're fourth in the current form (last 6 matches) table!

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 01-10-2006 at 16:27.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 16:34   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I saw the comments before they were edited (and, as I write, they're still on view in the quote you included in your initial post) and I saw no reference to size.
The original post included the words dick, black and big. I think the latter implies size and therefore is a racial stereotype. The quote in my post is censored.

Zero - Fair enough. Things are sometimes posted in haste and are very often taken out of context on here. It's not often that incidents like the one you witnessed occurs, but as you say, it's up to us speak out.

As for searching people at the turnstiles, then it certainly happened at the beginning of the season, as my mate had his bag searched at the turnstile. It wouldn't surprise me at all if random searches were not introduced.
Old 01-10-2006, 16:38   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy
In some games it is better to play hoof ball with teams like Darlo who have big men so its not as easy because they break us down.

But when we play teams like Barnet and Wrexham who like us, like to get the ball down on the floor we absolutly paste em!!
I think Bob Paisley put it better when he said, " it's not about the short ball or the long ball, it's about the right ball."

Thought Zero's analysis put up some good points, the defence seemed to be 5 individuals for a period after half time. Only Rocky seemed to be getting a grip, brilliant tussle with their No.7 all afternoon.

Why doesn't Rocky get the credit he deserves? Great reaction at final whistle.

There doesn't seem to be the same atmosphere at home, away matches generate a volume and continuity of support that is far superior, why?

It's just not the F in Roof, is it?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 16:49   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy
There doesn't seem to be the same atmosphere at home, away matches generate a volume and continuity of support that is far superior, why?

It's just not the F in Roof, is it?

Drink and roof.

away from you get the chat out of the way before you get to the match so can concentrate on the game itself

at home, everybody chats throughout the game and you get interloping friends of friends who come and stand between the singing folk. Their should be a reserved section where anybody in who aint singing gets fined. All profits go towards beer.
Old 01-10-2006, 16:50   #26
Senior Member+

[quote=Wynonie Harris]Surprised no one has mentioned Andy Todd yet, as I thought he made a huge contribution to the game. He looked shattered when they took him off and I'm not surprised with all the effort he put in.
quote]

Toddy is a total one off, did everybody see him looking at Craney's free kick nestled behind the stanchion, what a big kid!

It's a joy to have him on Whinney Hill. He's up there with Russell Payne as far as I'm concerned, and you don't get better than that.

To be fair, they were all shattered, it's just like me when I finish work .

Last edited by Oggy; 01-10-2006 at 17:07.
Old 01-10-2006, 16:57   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
The original post included the words dick, black and big. I think the latter implies size and therefore is a racial stereotype. The quote in my post is censored.
OK, it's a fair cop, guv. The first post I saw had the asterisks in.
Old 01-10-2006, 17:00   #28
Senior Member+

[quote=maccawozzagod]away from you get the chat out of the way before you get to the match so can concentrate on the game itself
at home, everybody chats throughout the game and you get interloping friends of friends who come and stand between the singing folk. quote]

Pure class, nail on head etc.

I go with friends who understand that not a word comes out of my mouth during the 93 minutes, home or away, unless it's in support of the team.

Chat, what's that about anyway? If you need to, do it in Asda!

Old 01-10-2006, 17:21   #29
God Member

Quote:
Chat, what's that about anyway? If you need to, do it in Asda!
But make sure you stand in the big empty space in the middle of the store and don't block the aisles!
Redash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 18:32   #30
Senior Member+

Just as a matter of interest do any posters on here have any connection with "The Accrington Stanley Diversity Forum"?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..