Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2013, 13:02   #16
God Member

Re: Greatest manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
only fer a short while. cos i'm a right tw*t

Cashers, can you twitter Walter Galbraith for me cos I'm a left t*it.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-07-2013, 14:47   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Cashers, can you twitter Walter Galbraith for me cos I'm a left t*it.
Not sure how it works mate? may want yer name? Macca will know i think? if i can i certainly will, Think ive done it.

Last edited by cashman; 16-07-2013 at 14:55.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 18:53   #18

As a 23 year old it has to be coleman.the budget he had to work with . The promotions. Having a beer with the lads... Top bloke and top manager.
Alvin the chipmunk and DAV007 like this.
sausage butty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 19:57   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
And I'll go with the name I mentioned - Walter Galbraith!
tweeted it for you RR
maccawozzagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 20:02   #20

Galbraith did miraculous things. However we are talking about a time in which 5 up front was common and the likes of New Brighton and Bradford Park Avenue could compete in the Football League. A halcyon time when good management was all you needed to succeed.

Plus regionalisation made it easier to stretch such resources.

Quite simply John Coleman was Mr Accrington Stanley, having been there longer than 60% of the fan base.

When I was a school boy I would get bullied for supporting the Reds, made worse by some of the shocking teams we were putting out. If you'd said we'd be in the Football League, be dissapointed with 1000+ gates and play the likes of Fulham and Newcastle....they'd have taken you away in a white coat.

I think you have to think about what Coley would have done with 10,000 gates.

Radcliffe....Farsley.....Woking....Alty. Its frightening to think how many electric moments in my life I owe to this man.

From Bradford PA to Bradford City....from Frickley to Fulham. Quite simply what JC did for this club and this apathetic town...will never be surpassed. He has laid the groundwork for JB to build on. Let's hope I can copy and paste this speech one day with JB's name in.
Old 16-07-2013, 20:10   #21
Junior Member+

For me it's gotta be Coley also. I'd like to follow Alvin's post, but how can I follow it?
It's a great post that puts a big warming smile on my dish, just like the Torquay weekender a couple of seasons back.

Post mine up will ya Rob?

BTW, giz a text or email me, I need to speak to ya about something I've got on this week bud.
Clearviewsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 23:01   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Not sure how it works mate? may want yer name? Macca will know i think? if i can i certainly will, Think ive done it.
Get yerself on Cashy me and Ange will certainly follow you
Old 17-07-2013, 03:04   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearviewsimon View Post
For me it's gotta be Coley also. I'd like to follow Alvin's post, but how can I follow it?
It's a great post that puts a big warming smile on my dish, just like the Torquay weekender a couple of seasons back.

Post mine up will ya Rob?

BTW, giz a text or email me, I need to speak to ya about something I've got on this week bud.
will do bud
Old 18-07-2013, 06:53   #24
Senior Member+

No doubt in my mind Walter Galbraith.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 08:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
Galbraith did miraculous things. However we are talking about a time in which 5 up front was common and the likes of New Brighton and Bradford Park Avenue could compete in the Football League. A halcyon time when good management was all you needed to succeed.

Plus regionalisation made it easier to stretch such resources.

Quite simply John Coleman was Mr Accrington Stanley, having been there longer than 60% of the fan base.

When I was a school boy I would get bullied for supporting the Reds, made worse by some of the shocking teams we were putting out. If you'd said we'd be in the Football League, be dissapointed with 1000+ gates and play the likes of Fulham and Newcastle....they'd have taken you away in a white coat.

I think you have to think about what Coley would have done with 10,000 gates.

Radcliffe....Farsley.....Woking....Alty. Its frightening to think how many electric moments in my life I owe to this man.

From Bradford PA to Bradford City....from Frickley to Fulham. Quite simply what JC did for this club and this apathetic town...will never be surpassed. He has laid the groundwork for JB to build on. Let's hope I can copy and paste this speech one day with JB's name in.
My husband says Stanley were not getting 10,000 gates when Galbraith took over more like 2000.The success of his team got the gates up to that level. His team was also put together on a shoestring.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 14:52   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
Galbraith ... his team was also put together on a shoestring.
I love era based debates, just like a good joke the old ones are always the best

Both have their admirable qualities but my decision to take Coleman over Galbraith was based on the fact that the money gap between the top and the bottom of the league has never been greater than it is today. Back when Galbraith first took the reigns the abolition of the wage cap was still eight years away so the assumption of the younger 'voters' is that the playing field was leveller.

It is also true to say that Galbraith improved the gates. Under Walter Crook, the season before Galbraith, the average gate was 5761 (went down to 5513 after his resignation) he improved it to 7376, 9820, 8510, 9300 and 7503. The following season, under Hubbick and then Eastham, the gates dropped to 6774 again - although this can partly be attributed to de-regionalisation of the League.

But by the same token when John Coleman came we were playing the likes of Matlock and Lincoln United in front of gates less than 300 some times. When he left we were playing the likes of Oxford, Bradford and Port Vale in front of home crowds exceeding 3000 on occasion. I haven't got the averages in front of me to give a percentage increase but I've an inkling that Coley increased the crowds by a higher percent than Mr G

It's an argument that can't be won to be honest. But those that remember when the world WAS black and white will tell you that Tom Selleck's body double was the greatest, and those of who were brought up in glorious technicolour will tell you that Coley was the greatest.

I think the Magnum fella was better dressed though
Old 18-07-2013, 17:04   #27
Senior Member+

No votes for Leam?
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 15:19   #28
Senior Member+

And the result is/was?? Or have I missed it??
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..