Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2007, 17:00   #16

Re: gripe

Jc has stuck by his mates and he has earned the right to. He has limited resources and cash, so he has done marvelous over the years, but I do feel he has been rather favourable and sentimental to certain players that reached there full potential last season and cannot make the grade at this level. He picks the team and if the players are not good enough and he continues to have faith and belief in these players he is doing his job wrong. End of last season i thought we needed at least 5 every week players to come in, instead we have players playing who never featured last season at all. Once again JC is a great non-league manager , ex player. Good football league manager ????? Keep the faith with his decisions even against most of our gut feelings,opinions because he is in the hot seat not us. If the unthinkable happens, the above points would mean to any other chairman that he has to go. Thats football, no other club carries sentiment if they do they are heading the wrong way.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2007, 18:46   #17
God Member

the point works both ways I think, from a players point of view they will give their all for a manager that has shown faith in them. The players got us to the football league and quite rightly deserved the chance to prove themselves in the league.

However, I do agree that football is a business that maybe leaves no room for sentiment and right. It is a hard and bitter pill to swallow for the players and managers that maybe they aren't good enough at this level. If we get away with it by the skin of our teeth then we will have done well, if we dont get away with it then the players that got us out of the Conference will have the chance to do it again.

The fact is though that if you were playing in an ideal world we would keep how many of the present squad? And we would replace the other however many with whom exactly?

We would probably want around 10 players (squad included) and every one of them would have to be better than what we have. Assuming that you all want us to buy these said better players and we were to spend around £50,000 perhaps ....... you do the maths. Probably better a player thats not quite good enough but willing to give his all for a manager he knows and respects than a player who has cost you money (and probably higher wages) and still might not be good enough.

Maybe one of our problems, and inherant from the good name and respect of Accrington Stanley, is that too many players apply to come here in in the summer so we cannot whittle them down well enough, or that we assume we dont need to buy quality because we can find it within the hundreds of trialists we get every year. It is a policy that has served us well for the last six years and will probably continue to do so.

It is a hope that we stay up but if provided we do then next year WILL have better in store for us in this league with a fuller squad and a little more luck. We expected nothing this year and have got next to nowt. We have however took 4 points from a very lively and respected Wycombe team, we have walloped Wrexham twice (now a crap team but feared when we played em the first time) we have beaten Notts Forest and took Premiership Watford to penalties, we have upset Dennis Wise and Paul Ince. Its not been that bad a season surely?

I know league points count for more but we have had highs and lows so far. Coley says that staying up will be a bigger acheivement than promotion so lets party as such when we have the points in the bag!
Old 20-02-2007, 19:03   #18
Full Member+

Well said Macca...

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 12:15   #19

[quote=maccawozzagod;385870]the point works both ways I think, from a players point of view they will give their all for a manager that has shown faith in them. quote]

Yes, but what if you're a player sat on the bench who knows they're better than the one giving their all out on the pitch? How de-motivating is it to know that an inferior player is getting the nod no matter what you do?

Lets be specific - Welshy's been dropped to make way for the new lad. How many games have we won? Any danger of Rocky being dropped? No, because we will die for the cause and put his head where it hurts. If his technique & positioning was better perhaps we would stop dangerous situations developing?

Loyalty will get the best out of players I agree, but it will seriously p*** off others if it is seen to be misplaced.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 13:15   #20
God Member

agreed 100% but I think the main reason Rocky is preferred to Welch is that he is more mobile, but again, if people did their jobs properly he wouldn't need to be more mobile.
Old 21-02-2007, 14:06   #21

well said again Macca.....a long time ago on another thread i said i would be happy if we finished third from bottom on goal difference and that still applies.....i think we will do a bit better than that....but when we stay up it will be cause for celebrations and a job well done...

come on you reds
glosterred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 14:14   #22
God Member

five posts earlier Glosterred ....... the quote about Coley saying staying up would be a bigger acheivement ..... lets start planning the staying put party right away!!!
Old 21-02-2007, 15:18   #23

We have had local ( east lancs ) lads who havent had a sniff who have come from rovers and burnley. I will stick my neck out and say that there must be a better centre forward than mangan in the 10 or so high schools year 11 in hyndburn and the ribble valley who is banging goals in for fun, yeah against lesser opposition but ask any striker scoring is confidence and ability. Stanley do not scout. Ill even push the boat and say there are better accy combination strikers who i know HAVE league experience. Players are out there but Liverpool is the be all and end all it seems, to be fair he has found some gems but they need to look a bit closer. What is it 3 years ago since matt derbyshire was playing for harwood - look at that jump! I would Think Rovers would send a couple of u19s over? have we tried or does jc shake his head and say i got someone lined up from st dominics (who are they?)or burscough or prescot cables. I have been told they have a motto pinned up on the changing room door ''If you dont speak scouse your not coming in.''

Last edited by Jesus_was_A_red_; 21-02-2007 at 15:21.
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 16:58   #24
God Member

hahaha does it not get boring???
Old 21-02-2007, 21:00   #25
Senior Member+

How mobile were the Chester defenders? They were big and strong. It has been said in other threads that we lack height and strength as a team. That has been clear in so many games this season. Those of us at the Mansfield game would have reservations about some of Rocky's technique and positioning. I would have thought that Almeida and Michael Welch could be a strong partnership in central defence.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 21:22   #26
Full Member+

Plus the fact that Welch can score free kicks, as shown in that too

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 21:25   #27
Senior Member+

I think you'll find Mark Hughes unwilling to send any of the rovers lads here on loan 'due to the facilities', or at least thats what he was heard stating after the pre season friendly here this year.

Oh and those of us who have been here since Rocky arrived will tell you that we have some reservations about his positioning and technique, always have had, we didn't need to be at the manfield game to tell anyone that!!!! Although give the lad his dues he's been far better this season than in previous efforts!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 21:28   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins View Post
hahaha does it not get boring???
it wil be boring if we dont fix things now and stanley dont exist dont forget where weve came from itll be so easy to go back and go bankrupt just remember most players we have got are on 3 + YEARS CONTRACTS and the way we are playing we would struggle in the conference just look at grays they got rid of some of their best players and they never even got in the league look where they are now .it can take only 2 years to get relegated from the conference and then were stuck with crowds of 499 and big wages.. and nobody will touch the players weve got wioth a bargepole there you go it is pivotal we stay up this season and for that to happen changes need to be made....i hope i am proved wrong but nothing suggests otherwise
Old 21-02-2007, 21:58   #29
Senior Member+

with the exception of boco I can't think of another player on a 3yr contract. And Boco certainly doesn't constitute most players!!!! Eric and Coley are both to canny to hand out that length of contract to players at this level willie nillie. And incase you didn't read the comments on the fishy site about wages, we are the worst payers in the division by some distance apparently.

Personally on this point, I think you my dear sir are talking out of your rectum!!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 21:59   #30
God Member

who said we have most of the players on 3 year contracts? Boco has just signed a new contract (one of the best and most rated players) that will only take him to June 09.

Why would we go bankrupt if we got relegated? Most clubs who go down to the conference have big wage bills and big grounds to maintain. We have neither. Our ground is not out of place in the conference but is still one of the smaller ones. We won the conference with the 15th highest wage bill FFS, Eric will not pay more than we can afford but will also leave room for manouevre, no doubt if we go down then the wages do also. FACT. And we wouldn't necessarily lose all our best players because we do not perhaps have players that everybody covets. The main two would be Boco - new contract, looking to buy a house here and loves it at Accrington, and Paul Mullin who at 32 years old does not need the move, would not command a fee, and within reasonable constraints does not need the money. Our squad would remain other than who Coley wants to leave IF we go down. Finances would not be a problem because we dont have years worth of expectation from high season ticket sales, we are not dependant on TV and FL money, we do not have a high wage bill, we would not suffer a significant crowd fall (if anything it would possibly rise! as it certainly seemed to drop when we go tin the league due to segragation/bar problems).

You've been quite good recently Mr Bananaman, but this week you seem to have it that everything is bleak and the club is on the verge of collapse. I aint wearing rose tinted specs (seems to be the in vogue statement at the mo), I'm just being realistic. Why is it either all or nothing with you? why cant people just accept that this season we are in a battle and we or may not come through it? Lets just see how it pans out and then deal with the fallout, JC seems to think this would be a bigger acheivement than winning the conference and I am inclined to believe him. Its progress boys, but not as we know it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..