Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mani

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-12-2013, 01:05   #1
Senior Member+

Half term report on League two from the Guardian...

League Two 2013-14: the fans' half-term report | Football | theguardian.com

Quote:
Accrington Stanley
Season in one word Typical
How's it going? Accrington Stanley have never been a club that do things the easy way. This season is no different. Our first 12 games saw an accumulation of eight losses and zero wins. Frustration mounted as the Reds were evidently trying to play football the right way, but it was to no avail. Accrington fans have a stubborn refusal to become defeatist, but optimism never felt like such a chore. However, a new-found confidence resonated throughout the club after our first win against Bristol Rovers, which became a part of an eight game unbeaten run. So, our first half of the season has been a tale of two extremes; from the basement of the Football League to the top of the form table. Fans are very contented.
Who's been the star? Piero Mingoia. A player that personifies tenacity and grit and has a never-say-die attitude that has elevated him to the status of fan favourite. The man, formerly on loan from Watford, has brought a level of consistency and excitement that raises hope whenever he receives the ball. A hard working, wholehearted footballer that is proud to wear the shirt.
Biggest disappointment? The assumptions. I, admittedly, was one of the sceptics who questioned our ability to compete this season. James Beattie received gratuitous blame for our torrid start, but his tangible passion for the club and inability to lose faith in his squad has spearheaded our recent form. Beattie has not only silenced the doubters, he's gained the confidence of all attending the Store First Stadium.
All we want for Christmas ... Stanley fans would feel that their festive season was complete if they received the promise of Football League survival, a goal we look to achieve every season. I, on the other hand, would love to see a new club policy introduced to eradicate certain haircuts. Ponytails spring to mind. James Gray, this goes out to you. Failing that, a mid-table finish would suffice.
However the Morcambe review made me laugh.

Quote:
Biggest disappointment? Losing at home to Accrington. We have still failed to beat Accrington in every Football League encounter since our promotion. Form is thrown out of the window each time and regrettably, (even if usually with the help of a poor official) they usually show more determination than us to win the game.
DAV007 likes this.
Old 21-12-2013, 07:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Half term report on League two from the Guardian...

Cheers mani, reckon its Morecambes ability to win a do, grating at em. completely understandable, a frantic search fer excuses.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:30   #3
Senior Member+

So who do we think supplied the Stanley words? I'm guessing Smudgie ......
Old 21-12-2013, 10:38   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
So who do we think supplied the Stanley words? I'm guessing Smudgie ......
Looks like Shaker to me,not Smudge?
Old 21-12-2013, 12:46   #5
God Member

All credit goes to my junior sibling for this piece. I handed over the Guardian responsibilities to him as he's a sports journalism student and will get more out of it than I.

I have retired gracefully from all blogging duties
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 11:43   #6
Senior Member+

Not me this time. Though thanks for the acknowledgement.

smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..