Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-12-2018, 16:05   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Happy Christmas begins at Home Park ! ..Argyle Thread.

Have to say i was very doubtful with 1 up front today, just shows how much i know.
Old 22-12-2018, 16:49   #17
Senior Member+

One up top, Finlay bombing on, defensive midfielder sitting in ........ clean sheet and three goals. Read it and weep Lord Love Rocket. Only a fleeting visit Wynonie couldn’t resist it.
Tommy McQueen and Lemur like this.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 20:53   #18
God Member

What a difference a week can make!
Great weather, great result, great goals, and very welcome three points but, to paraphrase Professor Coleman from last week, I don’t think even the most ardent Stanley fan could say that 0-3 was a fair reflection of the 90+ minutes.
My MoTM was the talented Mr.Ripley, who brought off some tremendous saves and blocks and, from his demeanour, was determined to keep a clean sheet.
If MikeA can unearth Plymouth’s version of the video highlights, it may show more of our keeper’s heroics.
The clean sheet had nothing to do with the return of the captain, who looked exactly like someone who hadn’t played for some time and had little impact on the game, but to a combo of Ripley’s endeavours, the back four’s resilience, and Plymouth’s inability to hit a barn door from ten yards. If any of their forwards had been able to hit the target, rather than their fans behind the goal, it would have been a very different result.

But Stanley got their rewards for, at long last, superior finishing, and all three goals were extremely well worked and taken.
By the last ten minutes Dr. Finlay, Sir Billy, and Yosser Hughes were out on their legs, but the three goal lead made it less of a nervy end than it could have been.
Well done, Stanley, just what was needed to erase any memories of Southend.
MikeA, AccyMad, cashman and 7 others like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 00:18   #19
Senior Member+

There's this for now:
https://www.skysports.com/football/p...rington/393366

...but try Googling "Plymouth Argyle YouTube" in a day or two.
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 03:09   #20
God Member

STRUTH,,, just seen the goal highlights (a bit one sided ), and gotta say that Jordan Clarke is oozing a bit of class. His goal today had style, but not as much as the one he nailed v Cheltenham. How long we got him for?
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 08:21   #21
God Member

never saw that one coming. hope to build on it on boxing day with jordan clarke showing the dour shrewsbury what they have missed.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 08:22   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi John View Post
STRUTH,,, just seen the goal highlights (a bit one sided ), and gotta say that Jordan Clarke is oozing a bit of class. His goal today had style, but not as much as the one he nailed v Cheltenham. How long we got him for?
until someone comes in with big bucks i would assume.
Old 23-12-2018, 08:34   #23
Senior Member+

Exile has got it spot on. We ought not to get too euphoric. Conneely was on the field - I would be hesitant to say more than that. He had a rollicking from Hughes and Ripley on two occasions in the first half. Finley played well - but was clearly out of position and visibly tired in the last 15 minutes. If Coley had brought on Zanzala at that time, I feel we could have won 5 - 0.

A word for the officials - awful. The referee was totally inconsistent. There were some glaring mistakes. In the first half, Mark Hughes won the ball with a super sliding tackle and play went on. The Plymouth bench complained vociferously, the referee brought play back - and booked Hughes! No wonder Hughesy applauded the Plymouth bench. And the poor assistant referee was suffering from some kind of paralysis that prevented him from raising his flag. On at least 3 occasions, the ball was well out of play - but no flag.

Having said all that, it was great to come away with 3 points. Difficult to choose man of the match - Ripley and Clark both excelled with Hughes and Ihiekwe both towers of strength in defence.
AccyMad, cashman, choirboy and 2 others like this.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 14:16   #24
Senior Member+

Eeeeeh.....Grand as 'owt Stanley!

At last we have some proper' Ruthless' finishing!
As Coley said in the post match interview...we haven't been playing that badly but have just not been taking our chances recently.
There have been a couple of matches in the last seven where we should have been two or three goals up early on and therefore should have taken more points!

Keep it up Stanley starting on Boxing Day with a MOM performance by Jordan Clarke to look forward to as we get another three points versus Shrewsbury!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 15:09   #25
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
Eeeeeh.....Grand as 'owt Stanley!

At last we have some proper' Ruthless' finishing!
As Coley said in the post match interview...we haven't been playing that badly but have just not been taking our chances recently.
There have been a couple of matches in the last seven where we should have been two or three goals up early on and therefore should have taken more points!

Keep it up Stanley starting on Boxing Day with a MOM performance by Jordan Clarke to look forward to as we get another three points versus Shrewsbury!
Have to say agree 100% with coleys analysis.
Old 23-12-2018, 18:36   #26
Senior Member+

I know it was an away match, but why were we in sky blue instead of red?

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 19:18   #27
Super Moderator

blue away;

Look at the next few games??

lets give the kit man a few easy days!!

If any body is ok to wash training kit plus 30 + towels pls let
Naz know
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 19:19   #28
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
For those watching on a black and white TV lol
AccyMad and Outback Ozzy like this.
Old 23-12-2018, 19:19   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback Ozzy View Post
Maybe, after the weather against Sunderland and Southend, the red shirts are still not dry?
Outback Ozzy and Revived Red like this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 20:54   #30

Some Plymouth fans remarked that the difference between them and us was that we made the goalie at least made a save with our attempts on goal. Theirs just blazed over or wide.

Given that finishing is generally woeful in Div 1&2 I wonder what would happen if it was a policy to always aim for the centre of the goal? Hit it straight and the goalie may still spill it, or it could be deflected into the net. If miscued slightly then good chance it’s a goal.

I notice Super Billy did not claim a share of the goals again, although he did have a rather nice assist for Clark’s goal. Presumably if you play one up front you are relying on most goals coming from midfield with your forward making assists? Is that how it works?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..