Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2004, 08:16   #1
God Member

Happy St Georges Day

I Don't suppose any of you are doing anything. probably still making plans for the next st patricks day like most englishmen I DON'T GET IT?

Any fool can be British. I was born ENGLISH

HAPPY SAINT GEORGES DAY
Old 23-04-2004, 08:32   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Happy St Georges Day

Cheers kipax I don't understand

I was born Stupid but in England

I heard St George was not English ?
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 08:38   #3
God Member

He wasn't born in England..

The Seige of Harfleur 1415

" I see you Stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the Start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit; and, upon this charge
Cry "God for Harry! England and Saint George!"
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 10:32   #4

Yeh cheers Kippax. Its particularly disappointing that our two main pol parties have ruled out any official celbrations for fear of 'offending other nationalities'!

Ps think George was from Palestine; its the symbolism as opposed to the reality that is important tho
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 10:46   #5

Cry "God for Harry! England and Saint George!"

That's not Irish Harry is it?
Bottletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 12:21   #6
Super Moderator

Well, I'm proudly wearing my red rose button hole. Sadly, not one other person seems to be. Still, it is Bramhall...maybe they're too posh for that sort of thing.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 16:05   #7
Senior Member+

No other place I would rather be
than in England by the sea

Steve Lowe 2004
Happy St Georges day to one and all
Old 23-04-2004, 16:26   #8

Happy St Georges day everyone
Rebecca G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2004, 18:37   #9
Senior Member+

Who was Saint George?

The life of Saint George is shrouded in legend, so much so that it is quite difficult to untangle fact from fiction. Much of the problem lies in the Acta Sancti Georgii (Acts of Saint George) written at a very early date and outlawed by Pope Gelasius in AD 496. Meanwhile the Greeks also had a set of Acts which were more accurate and quoted by Saint Andrew of Crete.

From them and the writings of Metaphrastes, we can piece together that he was born in Cappadocia of noble, Christian parents and on the death of his father, accompanied his mother to Palestine, her country of origin, where she had land and George was to run the estate. He was martyred at Lydda in Palestine (Nicomedia). He held an important post in the Roman army - the rank of tribune, or perhaps colonel in modern terms - during the reign of the Emperor Diocletian (245-313). Dioclesian was a great persecutor of Christians (from about 302) and when the persecutions began George put aside his office and complained personally to the Emperor of the harshness of his decrees and the dreadful purges of Christians. For his trouble, though, he was thrown into prison and tortured. He would not recant his faith however and the following day he was dragged through the streets and beheaded. It is uncertain whether he also tore down the Emperor's decrees as they were posted in Nicomedia. So he was one of the first to perish. The Emperor's wife, Alexandria was so impressed at the Saint's courage that she became a Christian and so too was put to death for her trouble.
Old 23-04-2004, 18:50   #10
God Member

I fear your post was wasted janet if answering simon..... I think most people are fully aware saint george was not english... While we are congratulating each other and showing how proud we are to be english.. I fear simons question was just taking the P out of saint george and the rest of us Which I find not only unpatriotic but also very badly timed to do it on this.. Saint Georges day.
KIPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2004, 10:54   #11
Senior Member+

So you know most people do you kipax? Cheers
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2004, 16:46   #12
Senior Member+

Think you rubbed him up the wrong way Simon!Never mind,we know who to call when we need any dragons slaying!
Old 24-04-2004, 19:23   #13

Can I take this opportunity to say that I think it's pathetic that St.Georges' Day isn't made more of a fuss about due to fear of upsetting other English nationals. This country is one of the most multi-cultural and tolerant nations in the world, isn't that a great reason to be proud and to celebrate our country?!

I am amazed at how many English people celebrate St.Patrick's Day and also the bombardment from companies cashing in on it telling us to celebrate it eg. Guiness, Jamesons etc. Whilst I bear the Irish no ill will whatsoever (and that goes for all other nations!) I have no inclination to celebrate their patron saints day as it's nothing to do with me as I am not Irish - I see the whole thing as superficial and fake (the whole English celebrating St.Patricks day scenario that is!) I do not need a reason to drink Guiness - thats what weekends are for isn't it?!?!?!

If anyone is offended by an English person (white, black, pink, polka-dot...whatever) celebrating their nation then they are the bigots, not those who are proud to be English. Respect to all humanity from all walks of life whatever your creed and colour, but being proud of your country is not a crime!
Old 24-04-2004, 20:17   #14

Let's celebrate them all, holidays all round:-
st paddy's day
st Georges day
independance day
ramadam
chinese new year

and the rest which do not come to mind at this present moment

Will anybody be working next year if we covered them all?
Bottletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2004, 21:46   #15

Less time at work is fine by me!

Seriously though, why isn't St.George's day a public holiday? The Irish have a day off on their patrons saints day so why not us. Personally speaking the ideology behind it means more to me than the ideology behind Easter and Christmas - I don't believe in religion but I know I'm English! Let's have a public holiday and schedule footy matches for that day also - a celebration of being English exemplified by a celebration of our national sport!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..