Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2016, 10:54   #46

Re: Hartlepool match thread

If this is our points return when we're making chances heaven help us when we don't make chances.

Hopefully a fit Billy Kee will make a difference goal scoring wise if he 's played off someone.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-11-2016, 11:01   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Billy Kee will no doubt help things along when fully fit.Doubt very much if this side will stop making chances on a regular thing,converting em is a different matter.
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
Old 23-11-2016, 12:52   #48

3 goal scoring chances per game converted = certain promotion
10 goal scoring chances per game missed = certain relegation
SIMPLES!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 13:13   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
3 goal scoring chances per game converted = certain promotion
10 goal scoring chances per game missed = certain relegation
SIMPLES!
Only simple if it continues for the season, which i doubt very much it will SIMPLES also.
Alvin the chipmunk likes this.
Old 23-11-2016, 14:07   #50
Full Member+

I am a little worried as to why we are not rotating the squad often enough. We seem to stick to the same players and because one or two may score an odd goal or two they never seem to be moved to suit different games. We have players who should be playing a lot more than they are but for some reason don't get a look in. We should be beating teams like Hartlepool. Newport, etc, to even be considered contenders for a promotion or play off. We lost some great players last season for various reasons and this season with the replacements we are struggling terribly. On Paper we should be battling the top. I still believe the table is far too tight to call at this point as a couple of wins can lift you so far up. But we have to start to deliver the quality of football needed to win at all costs. The manager has to make different choices than of late. It is obvious the tactics are not working. Many of our players have played at higher levels and should be capable of seeing off many of the teams that have beaten us. I will be there on Saturday. If we have not hit a serious winning streak before Christmas I fear nothing short of a clearout will do. We can't allow even the thought of the R word to cross our minds.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:08   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Only simple if it continues for the season, which i doubt very much it will SIMPLES also.
Cash, I respect your opinion & admire your optimism.
Yes, we are creating chances, but we seem unable to convert any.
We can't automatically expect Billy Kee to save us. He played for 70 minutes last night, had 2 or 3 chances, but failed to score any.
This goes back to the latter end of last season, when I remember posts about the general goal drought & Billy Kee in particular 'losing his touch'.
The point is, you can create as many chances as you like in a game, but if you don't score any of em, your in trouble.
I'm sure John, Jimmy & the boys are all smarting after our recent run, the bad luck, lousy refereeing decisions & sucker punches!
Somebody is due a thrashing! Lets all hope its Yeovil.
monkey hanger likes this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 14:56   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I am a little worried as to why we are not rotating the squad often enough. We seem to stick to the same players and because one or two may score an odd goal or two they never seem to be moved to suit different games. We have players who should be playing a lot more than they are but for some reason don't get a look in. We should be beating teams like Hartlepool. Newport, etc, to even be considered contenders for a promotion or play off. We lost some great players last season for various reasons and this season with the replacements we are struggling terribly. On Paper we should be battling the top. I still believe the table is far too tight to call at this point as a couple of wins can lift you so far up. But we have to start to deliver the quality of football needed to win at all costs. The manager has to make different choices than of late. It is obvious the tactics are not working. Many of our players have played at higher levels and should be capable of seeing off many of the teams that have beaten us. I will be there on Saturday. If we have not hit a serious winning streak before Christmas I fear nothing short of a clearout will do. We can't allow even the thought of the R word to cross our minds.
Who would your starting XI be for Saturday?
Old 23-11-2016, 15:02   #53

I'm with Cashy. We'll score if we create enough chances.

With regards to rotation problems. I don't see that at all. No point rotating our goalie, back four, middle two and Billy Kee. They need to perform consistently like they usually do. We just need the others: Boco, Clark, O'Sullivan, Shay, Sean, GTF to be giving us the creativity and cutting edge. These sorts of players are less consistent - so keep them motivated and hungry. Coleman does seem to rotate these players and I think it's starting to work to be honest.

We did lose some class players last season but Windass and Crooks rarely played together, we've got a better defence so in theory shouldn't need as many goals.

If I'm honest my main concern is what happens when the transfer window opens. Beckles and the Don are in great demand by Championship clubs - what happens if some decent money is offered for them. If we are mid-table at that point would you write off this season and sell them?
cashman likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 15:08   #54

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1181903]I'm with Cashy. We'll score if we create enough chances.

We did lose some class players last season but Windass and Crooks rarely played together, we've got a better defence so in theory shouldn't need as many goals.

/QUOTE]

Did they not play together Aug - Dec ie half the season.
Old 23-11-2016, 16:14   #55
Senior Member+

This is actually a pretty average season. After 17 games, we have always had between 19 and 23 points, with 2 exceptions - last season when we had 29, and 13/14 when we had 17 (having recovered from 1 point from 8, 2 from 10, with a 7-match unbeaten run). So 20 this time is not great but not disastrous.
AccyMad and cashman like this.
Old 23-11-2016, 16:27   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
This is actually a pretty average season. After 17 games, we have always had between 19 and 23 points, with 2 exceptions - last season when we had 29, and 13/14 when we had 17 (having recovered from 1 point from 8, 2 from 10, with a 7-match unbeaten run). So 20 this time is not great but not disastrous.
Nice to have some context. I think it appears worse as no one is cut adrift yet at the bottom.
Old 23-11-2016, 17:36   #57
Full Member+

In reply to Inspector Morse.
I am not fully aware of the whole situation but assuming all are fit. The GTF would be on at the start along with another of the strikers. Why Chris Eagles can't get a game is beyond comprehension. He is a playmaker and has striking capabilities not to be ignored. I would put beccles, in centre midfield. with O'Sullivan Eagles, and maybe one of the academy players on the wing for their experience with a back up if they become out of their depth. Jordan Clark, Brown, Mark Hughes is always a good defender, This would be a basic eight to be the mainstay of the team, That leaves room for other selections and the ability to change tactics during the game, with substitutes who have strengths to combat the type of team we are playing I am not watching the training sessions so I can't comment on the players who are not being picked even for the squad. It is not easy but we do seem to get in a rut very easily. I think we need to keep our game much wider as we all say the same that we always seem to bunch up on the Whinney Hill side and we rarely win a ball in the air. we play our best football on the floor. Our passing can be very wayward far to often. We need to tighten up and play with some precision. Many more players need to take responsibility for having a shot and stop laying the ball off. We can't do this with some of the teams we play. They are too quick on the ball. a lot to take in. Agree or not we need to do something different.

Last edited by Chrisr; 23-11-2016 at 17:40.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 17:49   #58
God Member

Watching the very brief 'highlights' from last night's match two things seemed clearer.
The first was the reason the ref penalised Hughes, although a penalty and yellow would have been punishment enough as there was no certainty that either of the two 'Pool attackers would have a goal scoring opportunity from a hopeful 'howitzer'.
The second was that, despite the hard lesson from Cambridge, the Stanley players, other than Parrish, still don't seem to be awake at penalties.
At Cambridge there wasn't any Stanley forward following up the rebounds from the keeper's two saves. Last night it was the reverse. The Stanley players were left on the starting line by the speed and anticipation of the Hartlepool player who ran onto the parried save.
Looked like a lack of concentration and basic awareness of what is likely to happen.
Maybe that's an example of the 'fitness' problem that DAVO alluded to?
Chrisr likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 20:17   #59
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I'm with Cashy. We'll score if we create enough chances.

With regards to rotation problems. I don't see that at all. No point rotating our goalie, back four, middle two and Billy Kee. They need to perform consistently like they usually do. We just need the others: Boco, Clark, O'Sullivan, Shay, Sean, GTF to be giving us the creativity and cutting edge. These sorts of players are less consistent - so keep them motivated and hungry. Coleman does seem to rotate these players and I think it's starting to work to be honest.

If I'm honest my main concern is what happens when the transfer window opens. Beckles and the Don are in great demand by Championship clubs - what happens if some decent money is offered for them. If we are mid-table at that point would you write off this season and sell them?
Under FA rules a player can only sign for one club a season unless it's a free transfer so either way beckles would not be able to leave as for the don wasn't he signed on short term deal till January?
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 20:18   #60
I am Banned

And under new rules stopping a goal scoring opportunity is now only deemed a yellow card offence unless malice is shown, Hughes should not of been sent off
monkey hanger likes this.
st06nc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..