Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2017, 19:54   #76

Re: Hartlepool match thread (H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Who knows, he could become our very own Akinfenwa!
Originally Posted by Mike A
Good post but I wouldn't wish that on him!

Oh I don't know Mike? According to Transfermarket;
Chapman - value 21k
Akinfenwa- value 149k
My original post was tongue-in-cheek. However, football has a long history of players who have started their careers in one position and found success in another.
If I changed my quote to - 'Who knows, he could become our very own Lukaku' - would it sound a more tempting prospect.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-01-2017, 07:55   #77

Anecdotes about refs don't help. Research does, and research shows that referees have improved so much since the war that "home advantage" due to poor refs now doesn't exist.
Fitter, more correct with decisions etc.

You'll get former players slagging off the standard of refs but that's just selective memory I'm afraid. I think if people really remember how awful refs were in decades past they wouldn't slag off modern refs.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:01   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Research really helps, it said we would Remain in the E.U. also Clinton would win.Also opinion polls said the same.
Chrisr likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 05-01-2017 at 08:09.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Anecdotes about refs don't help. Research does, and research shows that referees have improved so much since the war that "home advantage" due to poor refs now doesn't exist.

You'll get former players slagging off the standard of refs but that's just selective memory I'm afraid. I think if people really remember how awful refs were in decades past they wouldn't slag off modern refs.
Oh, I do my research - every flippin Stanley game I do my research & you're right there is no 'home advantage' cos of poor refs - not because the refs are better but because the ones we have at home are usually much worse than the ones we have officiating at away games
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:44   #80

Ah, a fan of Michael "we've had enough of experts" Gove?

the polls were only 2-3% out in both cases. I reckon that was still better than talking to mates down the pub or whatever less scientific options there are.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:54   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:

the polls were only 2-3% out in both cases. I reckon that was still better than talking to mates down the pub or whatever less scientific options there are.
Have to disagree, most research is utter rubbish, Canada have just done some "Proper" Research into Dementia 6 million people oer 10 years, that what i call research.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:26   #82
God Member

Quote:

just like trevor kettle last season and richard clarke at hartleppol this. i can remember way back into the 50,s as well. they might be physically fitter but very few seem to have a feel for the game or players. told what to do and not to do too much and would be better off left alone to do there own thing. none seem to get kicked off the football league list as they did in the bad old days when at the end of the season a number were always removed if their performances were not up to the standard required.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:38   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:

I think you might agree with this pearl of wisdom ?..

'" Research is what men do when they don't know what they are doing ! "..

and someone, can't remember who !..remarked :-

" When we research a subject we don't just discover facts about it, we also discover hidden truths about ourselves ! "..

What better place to confirm the latter statement than our Forum ?.
cashman, Revived Red and Chrisr like this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:31   #84
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Never heard Cashy described as 'churlish' before !. This adjective which you so unkindly cast in his direction is often construed as 'one being mean-spirited and surly !'. Now if you really knew Cashman you would know him to be an extremely generous and cheerful gentleman and never the Churl that your ill- mannered outburst suggests !
Of course one could paste many criticising labels upon him, and believe me many on this forum have done just that !, but one who thoughtlessly makes churlish remarks...never !.
It also pleases me to see that you are one who is au fait with remarks passed by five-year-olds, does not get into childish arguments and does not get dragged down easily to the level of a person you are so obviously not acquainted with !.
Your final barb...'you know the rest', is really intriguing. I only wish that I knew the rest so that I could prepare my future behaviour for the task of achieving a settled and ordered life ,.
If then you happen to know 'the rest', then perhaps you might oblige us with a short dissertation on the matter !.
Like the tom-cat who ate Gorgonzola Cheese and then blew into a Mousehole...I await with
'bated breath !
Just read the bottom line of all Cashy post's
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:13   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Yonmon is well aware of my bottom line,yer telling him nowt there.
Chrisr likes this.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:01   #86
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Surely by now you must have realised that many of my posts are sur le ton d ironie ?.

The one you refer to was such a one and not intended to be read or taken in a serious vein !.

One of my New Year Resolutions is to try to lighten up a bit, noticing that I border on the morose on occasions !....If you like you can share in this sentiment, it can't do any harm really .

KTF.
Wynonie Harris and cashman like this.
Old 05-01-2017, 13:16   #87
God Member

Quote:

Not really bothered about Gove or any other politicians way of thinking but the best research ever done is definitely in the pub with your mates after a game - can't beat it
cashman, Revived Red and Chrisr like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:29   #88
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Not really bothered about Gove or any other politicians way of thinking but the best research ever done is definitely in the pub with your mates after a game - can't beat it
Excellent advice as usual. But I thought I might point out some political diconect from a few weeks ago. A lady MP in the Canadian Parliament used the word Fart, well what a disgrace, people were falling over themselves to be offended on behalf of the nation. Yet I simply pointed out that the Yanks next door had just elected a trump. It was lost on them.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 15:47   #89
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Excellent advice as usual. But I thought I might point out some political diconect from a few weeks ago. A lady MP in the Canadian Parliament used the word Fart, well what a disgrace, people were falling over themselves to be offended on behalf of the nation. Yet I simply pointed out that the Yanks next door had just elected a trump. It was lost on them.
Good to note that an air of levity pervades the Forum presently !.
The female Canadian MP could not have been much of a lady to describe flatulence in such a vulgar manner !. I am certain that the two members of the nobility who contribute to our pages will be suitably startled and shocked by this revelation !.

Chrisr you will find that it often happens that your best attempts at irony are lost on those you choose to unleash them upon !... but keep trying and success might follow ?.

Now then whatever has flatus and trump got to do with the Stanley/Hartlepool match ?.

KTF.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:25   #90
God Member

Now then whatever has flatus and trump got to do with the Stanley/Hartlepool match ?.

KTF.[/QUOTE]

two new loanees signed after the game from fc crinkley bottom.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..