Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2017, 00:42   #1
Full Member+

Has anyone seen Hobby and Liz recently?

Two characters i haven't seen in ages! I remember Hobby from the conference promotion season on the Clayton End before the roof went up,standing out because of his height and that shiny bald head with the Stanley crest tattooed on it. Also. Where's Liz the half time ticket draw seller these days? Anyone think of others who've disappeared?

Last edited by winstanley asfc; 16-03-2017 at 00:45.
winstanley asfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2017, 05:22   #2

Re: Has anyone seen Hobby and Liz recently?

A bloke who shouts "caam on stanleee" loudly in a cockney accent in the Clayton End.
Not heard his shout the last few home games.
st06nc2 likes this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 07:08   #3
God Member

What happened to a bloke that used to post on here several years ago , 'Oggy' or some connection to Coros Stan Ogden? Enjoyed his posts very much. Also, that bloke and his wife from down south that started making the pilgrimage to the Wham and wrote very nice Blogs on the club. I think that was just last season.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 07:54   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Far as i know Liz got a job that prevents her coming due to the times worked.
winstanley asfc likes this.
Old 16-03-2017, 08:43   #5
Senior Member+

Saw Hobby a couple of months ago, Walking round town in a Man City shirt!
Old 16-03-2017, 10:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
A bloke who shouts "caam on stanleee" loudly in a cockney accent in the Clayton End.
Not heard his shout the last few home games.
Lord D, I think the gentleman you refer to might be my friend John, who is actually from Bristol.
Although to a toff such as yourself, his 'Brizzle' accent may appear to have a Cockerney overtones.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:05   #7

What about that young chap who used to come to matches with his boots and full kit. He even used to run up and down the touch line (getting booed a lot in the process). Think he was called Sean or sommat like.

Where's he gone?
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 11:21   #8
Full Member+

Where the hell's Bananaman...
baldy and Kiwi John like this.

Illustrations, Web & Graphic Design:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk

Accrington Stanley Section:
www.pixelborndesigns.co.uk/sections/accrington-stanley
Red-Osbornello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:02   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
What about that young chap who used to come to matches with his boots and full kit. He even used to run up and down the touch line (getting booed a lot in the process). Think he was called Sean or sommat like.

Where's he gone?
Naughty!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:03   #10
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Didsbury;1190080]What about that young chap who used to come to matches with his boots and full kit. He even used to run up and down the touch line (getting booed a lot in the process). Think he was called Sean or sommat like.
Where's he gone?[/
QUOTE]

Up in the world?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 15:54   #11

This post does raise a serious point. Namely that we HAVE, contrary to popular belief, attracted quite a few new fans in recent years. However many old faces have counter balanced this by falling away.

Why is this? Of course many of the older generation have sadly passed away but there are also many for whom the journey was more important than the destination. I can personally think of at least ten people who rarely missed a game that never set foot on The Crown these days.

It does seem a shame that people who courageously watched us getting tonked by Bamber Bridge 5-0 dont see fit to enjoy the fruits of their loyal efforts in games such as the Burnley tie.
Old 16-03-2017, 16:12   #12
God Member

If I remember rightly, Hobby couldn't come to games once we reached the league as he was under a banning order for football league games - course I could've got that wrong & I apologise if I'm besmirching his name in vain
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 17:11   #13
Full Member+

last i heard of hobby he was living in lancaster
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 17:25   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
If I remember rightly, Hobby couldn't come to games once we reached the league as he was under a banning order for football league games - course I could've got that wrong & I apologise if I'm besmirching his name in vain
Diane; first I've heard of this "situation".

IF it is the case all banning orders end and ASFC are open to work with all parties to find "solutions" as and when we can
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 19:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
This post does raise a serious point. Namely that we HAVE, contrary to popular belief, attracted quite a few new fans in recent years. However many old faces have counter balanced this by falling away.

Why is this? Of course many of the older generation have sadly passed away but there are also many for whom the journey was more important than the destination. I can personally think of at least ten people who rarely missed a game that never set foot on The Crown these days.

It does seem a shame that people who courageously watched us getting tonked by Bamber Bridge 5-0 dont see fit to enjoy the fruits of their loyal efforts in games such as the Burnley tie.
Part of the problem is the length of time we have been in the league. The relatively short time to progress through non league once the push had started meant that it was different teams to play and different grounds to visit.

That's how it felt for me when I started coming down to games over 10 years ago as a distraction from Scottish football where playing the same team 7 times a season did happen.

I had been to some Burnley games when I used to visit my gran 30 odd years ago and even the odd trip to Ewood if nothing else was on but Stanley games were a new adventure for all of us in the league. Beating the struggle against relegation was an achievement in the old days and showing the colours in far off places where people had barely heard of Accrington never mind knowing where it was was a great feeling.

Now we have been at it for 11 years and it's the same old places against the same old teams and we are just another league two teams to most now. The motivation is not as great for some old timers as it was and perhaps that isn't always apparent to the newcomers who are just starting out on the journey.

I have also noticed some of the old faces from days gone by are no longer there and sometimes you barely recognize people at some away games anymore. Since the flexi tickets stopped I have been to a lot less games as I would go if I had already bought the tickets but now think twice depending on the game.

The new train times don't help but this should be offset by new bus runs up this end so who knows what the future holds.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..