Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By lancsdave
  • 1 Post By Alvin the chipmunk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2013, 11:20   #1

Help Required

Hello, was wondering if any of you knew how much it is (approx) in a taxi from the ground to Preston?

Thanks.
Matteo Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2013, 11:23   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Help Required

Best bet ring round Arrow do it fer £17-50 is all i know.
Old 23-06-2013, 11:23   #3
God Member

If you ring Max Cabs in Accrington and get them to come over for you then it's £18. If you get a Preston company to bring you over lowest we found was £28
Old 23-06-2013, 23:15   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If you ring Max Cabs in Accrington and get them to come over for you then it's £18. If you get a Preston company to bring you over lowest we found was £28

But he says from the ground to Preston.

And if he tries Max Cabs, he runs the risk of them not turning up as I have found to my cost. Twice. But never again.

Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 23:37   #5
Senior Member+

Matteo - providing more information may result in someone coming up with a much cheaper alternative to a taxi. What about getting back?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 06:53   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revived Red View Post
But he says from the ground to Preston.
Aye it does. Probably because I sorted it out for them to pick my duaghter uo from Preston station last week I had it stuck in my head.
Old 24-06-2013, 07:03   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Aye it does. Probably because I sorted it out for them to pick my duaghter uo from Preston station last week I had it stuck in my head.
Stuck in yer head? Thats a novelty.
Old 24-06-2013, 14:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo Ferrari View Post
Hello, was wondering if any of you knew how much it is (approx) in a taxi from the ground to Preston?

Thanks.
Why not get the train less than a tenner and they run quite often maybe every half hour 20 mins walk from the ground
ianray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:46   #9
God Member

Technically Ian you are right, there are 2 trains per hour to Preston. Problem is they are about 5 minutes apart. No logic to the timetable
ianray likes this.
Old 24-06-2013, 21:01   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Technically Ian you are right, there are 2 trains per hour to Preston. Problem is they are about 5 minutes apart. No logic to the timetable
One stops only at Blackburn and possibly another couple of places, the other is a slow train and stops at every hole in the hedge. So their arrival times at Preston are far apart and the fact that they call at Accrington close together is just a coincidence.
Old 25-06-2013, 10:46   #11

Yes they both follow the same route from Preston until Gannow Junction just after Rose Grove...wherein the Colne train joins the single track branch line to Burnley Central and beyond and the York train heads to Manchester Road, Bradford etc.

Not uncommon for the Colne train to be cancelled if it has been delayed in order to make way for the express to use the same route....or if you are lucky they can use Blackburn to overtake.

The problems with the underused East Lancashire line and it's disgusting rolling stock will never be addressed until the line from Rose Grove to Colne is doubled again, allowing improved frequency and less cancelled trains...as due to the single track nature of the line its often less hassle for Northern to cancel trains at the Pendle stations.

I feel Northern are missing a trick here as it is often now cheaper than the train. For example Burnley on the bus takes 45/50 minutes and costs £4.20. The express train takes 8 and the rattler 15 minutes and costs £4.00.

I digress....the train will be the easiest way to get back from the ground to Preston....or you can also take a short walk to the Hare n Hounds and catch the 152.

http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/cmsUp...152websept2012[1].pdf
Redash likes this.
Old 25-06-2013, 14:09   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin the chipmunk View Post
the East Lancashire line and it's disgusting rolling stock

http://www.lancashirebus.co.uk/cmsUp...152websept2012[1].pdf
You're not wrong there!
Old 25-06-2013, 17:19   #13
Senior Member+

Nice train info Alvin
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 22:16   #14

The express train, Accrington to Preston, leaves Accy at 6 minutes past the hour. Often take a friend to use it.
sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..