Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2023, 12:01   #1

How is the ladies team doing ?

How is the ladies team doing?

I used to go and support them, back in the late 90's, when they had the likes of Rachel Brown, Dottie Watson and Bev Watson in the team. Great team and great times. They also two great wingers whose names I can't recall. Also, a mid-field dynamo who's mum was a local Councillor; can't recall her name now either. Can anyone refresh me with the names?
pompeylass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2023, 12:30   #2
God Member

Re: How is the ladies team doing ?

There’s nothing about the Stanley women’s’ team on the ASFC site, but they do have their own web site here.
https://www.aswomen.org/about-us.html
Maybe someone on their could help you?
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:58   #3

Rachel Brown was goalie and went on to play for Liverpool, Everton and England and is now a pundit and commentator.

Dottie Watson was our super striker and Stanley's female 'Alan Shearer'. Brilliant!

Bev Watson was a big blonde centre-half that nothing got past.

The two wingers were also top national hockey players.

We had a really great team in those day's. We won the league we were in and there was an end-of-season celebration do at Stanley's Clubhouse which Eric Whalley attended and gave out awards. My husband got voted supporter of the year.

Great days.

Thank's for the link, Exile. I'll look in regularly from now on.
Old 08-12-2023, 13:39   #4
God Member

Interesting, Pompeylass.
I’d no idea about most of this, but found this interview with Rachel Brown from a few years go (hope it works as I copied it in “reader” mode)…

https://web.archive.org/web/20101002..._feature.shtml

She’s obviously done really well for herself since her days at St.Christopher’s. . Let’s hope the current women’s team do as well.
pompeylass and Kiwi Johnny like this.
Old 08-12-2023, 19:00   #5

I read the text but couldn't get the audio to work. She's got a Google Page too.

When she played for Stanley Ladies she had the a nick-name which came about when the coaches asked 'Who can do this' and 'Who can do that' and 'Who can play here'. The answer was always 'She can', all pointing to 13 year-old Rachel. So 'She can' got corrupted to 'Chicken'.

We would stand behind the goal with her mum, dad and brother, and shout 'Come on, Chicken! You can do it, Chicken! Keep 'em out, Chicken!
Old 08-12-2023, 19:24   #6

Most of our home games were played at Norden playing fields, behind Norden school in Rishton, and sometimes we ended up on a pitch at Wilson's playing fields up Whalley Road.

We would go to away games too; Atherton LR, Squires Gate, Urmston and the like.

I remember one away game in West Manchester where our opponent's where so determined to beat us, fair or foul, that a mass brawl involving all 22 players caused an extra 5 minutes playing time.
Kiwi Johnny likes this.
Old 08-12-2023, 20:26   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeylass View Post
I remember one away game in West Manchester where our opponent's where so determined to beat us, fair or foul, that a mass brawl involving all 22 players caused an extra 5 minutes playing time.
Blimey, in League 2 the refs add five minutes if a player gives them a funny look!
Kiwi Johnny likes this.
Old 13-12-2023, 19:27   #8

After trawling the web, I found that there is no website for Stanley Ladies, but there is one in the process of being constructed.

They currently play in the North West Women's Regional Football League Division 1 North.
After 11 games they are up with the leaders in 3rd place, having just lost 3-0 away on Sunday (10th) away to Mancunian Unity Women who are top.

Their next match is on Sunday (17th) at home (Stanley Hub, Thorneyholme Road) against Bolton Wanderers Women.

Good luck.
Old 30-12-2023, 16:50   #9

I found out who the mid-field dynamo was called. It was Diane Heap, whose mum is ex Councillor Eileen Heap. Diana was a right terrier who was good at supplying goal chances for striker Dottie Watson.

Also, the Ladies beat Bolton 2-0 on the 17th and play next on the 7th January home to Radcliffe Women. They've moved up to 2nd in the table.
Old 14-01-2024, 17:20   #10

The Radcliffe game was postponed on the 7th.

The following week, Sat 14th, they draw at Preston NE 0-0 and are still 2nd in the table, eight points behind Mancunian Unity Women, Stanley having played a game more.

The next game is on Jan 21st, at home (Stanley Sports Hub) to Workington Reds Ladies, 2.00pm K.O.
Exile on Spencer St and pifco like this.
Old 24-01-2024, 15:30   #11

The game against Workington Reds on Sun 21st was postponed due to a frozen pitch. The game has been brought forward a week and is now scheduled for Sun 28th, 2.00 K.O.
Old 31-01-2024, 17:24   #12

Stanley Women were 3 - 1 winners over Workington Reds on Sunday last and share 2nd spot in the table with Penrith Ladies.

There next game is on Sunday 4th Feb away to Fleetwood Town Wrens.
Exile on Spencer St and pifco like this.
Old 04-02-2024, 19:59   #13
mab
God Member

Budapest Defenders Champion!
Fast Castle Defense Champion!

Won 2 - 4 at Fleetwood this afternoon.https://www.facebook.com/AccringtonStanleyWomen
pompeylass likes this.
Old 06-02-2024, 17:23   #14

Stanley are now 3rd behind Penrith on goal difference in the league, all three clubs having won on Sunday.

Next game is on Sunday the 11th at home to Darwen Women in the Alliance Design & Print Cup.
Old 17-02-2024, 13:04   #15

Stanley Ladies lost their Cup game with Darwen 1-0.

The next game is a League match away to Radcliffe FC Women this Sunday (18th) 2.00pm K.O.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..