Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2017, 17:47   #61

Re: Huddersfield match thre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thats utter crap not returning means not supporting to anyone with an I.Q, of 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "supporting your club" mean, if it's to mean anything, spending some of your money to the benefit of that club.
My thoughts summed up to perfection by Cashy & Exile.
I know the public of Accrington are infamous for their apathy, but I never expected to find it on this forum.
The club have laid on some excellent friendlies against higher league opposition, all at bargain basement prices. Yet some of the lame excuses being offered by so called Stanley fans for not attending the friendlies make me despair.
All I can say is thank goodness the Huddersfield fans didn't adopt the same attitude. 'Naah! Can't be bothered traipsing over to the worst stadium in the EFL for a 7.00pm mid-week kick-off against bleeding Accrington Stanley, think I'll stay at home!'
No! They came in their hundreds because they 'support' their club.
I know not everyone on here lives locally, but for anyone who does yet couldn't be bothered to turn up because they 'don't do friendlies' then I'm sorry but no! - You can't claim to 'support' Accrington Stanley!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2017, 18:12   #62
God Member

Re: Huddersfield match thread

They came in their hundreds because ticket stubs for our game got them priority for Crystal Palacr tickets
AccyMad likes this.
Old 14-07-2017, 19:17   #63
God Member

Mrs Exile and I are looking forward to seeing Stanley in their friendly with PNE. Will be the first time I've seen those two 'compete' since that glorious Cup replay at Peel Park, many life times ago.
One benefit of attending friendlies is that it puts a bit of cash, however modest, into the club when there is no other source of regular income. For Stanley, reason enough.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 19:28   #64
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good on yers me owd mucker.
Old 14-07-2017, 20:41   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by st06nc2 View Post
Never squad I didn't support the club anymore, I will never not support Stanley, I just got support the owner
So for those of us who missed it whats the issue or issues with Andy Holt and his ownership of the club then ?
NORTHERNSOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 20:45   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNSOUL View Post
So for those of us who missed it whats the issue or issues with Andy Holt and his ownership of the club then ?
Read back through the threads this should be about the Huddersfield match.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 21:25   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
They came in their hundreds because ticket stubs for our game got them priority for Crystal Palacr tickets
Sorry, but you do the Huddersfield fans an injustice.
If you bother to visit the Terriers website, you'll discover that attendance at our home friendly had no bearing on them getting priority for their PL away games.
There are 5 complex levels of priority relating to supporters past attendance that must be met, none of which relate to pre-season friendlies.
You've got to be a true supporter to bother coming to watch your team play Stanley in a pre-season friendly.
Old 14-07-2017, 21:56   #68
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
There are 5 complex levels of priority relating to supporters past attendance that must be met
Strewth, it sounds more difficult than the Krypton Factor!
AccyMad and keep the faith like this.
Old 15-07-2017, 08:13   #69
God Member

I know not everyone on here lives locally, but for anyone who does yet couldn't be bothered to turn up because they 'don't do friendlies' then I'm sorry but no! - You can't claim to 'support' Accrington Stanley![/QUOTE]

think you,re pushing the issue of what is called a supporter of our club. i imagine there are plenty who go to nearly every home game and some away ones as well who don,t bother with friendly games. each to their own for me. go if you want to do but don,t imagine everyone who don,t are no less a supporter of the club. don,t want to go down the line of creating a super fan who never misses any game where stanley are concerned, buy a new shirt ev season and maybe spend more than others on match days. we all support the club in our own ways.
AccyMad and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 08:50   #70

[/QUOTE]think you,re pushing the issue of what is called a supporter of our club. i imagine there are plenty who go to nearly every home game and some away ones as well who don,t bother with friendly games. each to their own for me. go if you want to do but don,t imagine everyone who don,t are no less a supporter of the club. don,t want to go down the line of creating a super fan who never misses any game where stanley are concerned, buy a new shirt ev season and maybe spend more than others on match days. we all support the club in our own ways.[/QUOTE]

Surely the definition of a supporter is 'one who supports their club'.
After months of no football, what true supporter wouldn't want to see their team play against Premier League opponents?
I accept your comments, but can't understand someone who calls themselves a Stanley supporter (& lives locally) not wanting to attend friendlies on the basis that they 'can't be bothered'.
If we all adopted that attitude, the club might as well not bother arranging any, as there'd only be away fans at the match.
Old 15-07-2017, 09:51   #71
God Member

I accept your comments, but can't understand someone who calls themselves a Stanley supporter (& lives locally) not wanting to attend friendlies on the basis that they 'can't be bothered'.
If we all adopted that attitude, the club might as well not bother arranging any, as there'd only be away fans at the match.[/QUOTE]

the club arranges these games not for the benefit of fans but as part of getting the squad ready for the season to come. the extra revenue generated by the club is i admit a help. the lack of any competitive needs for these games plus all the substitutions give an unreal feeling to these games. i live 25 miles away but thats not the reason for my non attendance. each to their own mate but don,t decry fans who think like me and don,t attend.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:55   #72
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[/QUOTE]Surely the definition of a supporter is 'one who supports their club'.

Quite, but what defines "Support" or its parameters?

After months of no football, what true supporter wouldn't want to see their team play against Premier League opponents?

True supporters? Again who or what defines a "True supporter"

"Can't be bothered" has many connotations & reasons, so unless you can fully understand the underlying rationalisation of why, judgement shouldn't be so scathing.

If we all adopted that attitude, the club might as well not bother arranging any, as there'd only be away fans at the match.

And your rational for your final comment is based on ...... ? [/QUOTE]

A rather emotive subject it appears, but as MH stated, each to their own in their abilities to support as & when & how they can. Shouldn't that be sufficient? I live abroad so can only fit in what fixtures are available when I'm home, I've even juggled my leave around specific periods to maximise my chances of seeing the lads play home & away.

If I lived in the UK I suppose I would also be one of the no shows for friendlies, maybe not all but I'd assume the majority because like most folk I've got "other commitments" & as such couldn't just drop everything & swan off to the Footy.

Moderation in all things springs to mind & we should all be happy in the fact that folks will turn to as & when they can to support how they can "Our Stanley".
AccyMad, Chimer and monkey hanger like this.
Old 15-07-2017, 12:16   #73

In response to the critical posts from DaveinGermany & Monkey Hanger, I would make the following points;

DiG 'Quite, but what defines "Support" or its parameters?'

Football exists as a form of entertainment aimed at attracting fans to watch the game. 'One who supports their club' doesn't do it sitting in an armchair at home!

DiG "Can't be bothered" has many connotations & reasons, so unless you can fully understand the underlying rationalisation of why, judgement shouldn't be so scathing.

Of course there may be many reasons fans can't attend. I didn't criticise anyone who lives away, on holiday, was attending their daughters wedding or going under the knife to have an ingrowing toenail removed - Just those who won't attend because in their own words they 'Can't be bothered!'

DiG 'And your rational for your final comment is based on ...... ?'

Simple logic! If we all 'couldn't be bothered', there'd be nobody at the game!

MH 'the club arranges these games not for the benefit of fans but as part of getting the squad ready for the season to come.'

If that's the only reason, why don't they play them behind closed doors then? It must be very difficult trying to arrange friendlies against higher league clubs.
ASFC have gone to great lengths to make these fixtures as attractive as possible & reduced the ticket prices to try & raise much needed revenue.
The response from some so called fans - 'I can't be bothered'
I wonder how many of the no-show fans would still feel that way if either Manchester United or City were the visitors??????
Old 15-07-2017, 12:29   #74
God Member

In reply to your last point Lord S I feel the answer would be roughly the same amount as most supporters I know go to watch our own team & the calibre of the opposition doesn't really matter.
It gets on my wick when people start trying to divide fans according to their, for want of a better word, 'worthiness' - not everyone can go to every game, be it friendlies or otherwise but we're all on the same side, god knows there's few enough of us without making out that some aren't as good a supporter as another!
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 13:09   #75
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
In response to the critical posts from DaveinGermany & Monkey Hanger, I would make the following points;

To further this multicoloured debate, more opposing reasoning than critical my friend.

DiG 'Quite, but what defines "Support" or its parameters?'

Football exists as a form of entertainment aimed at attracting fans to watch the game. 'One who supports their club' doesn't do it sitting in an armchair at home!

I'd beg to differ, they're probably sitting there with their team top on, maybe even a scarf, having a cup of tea or a beer in the suitable receptacle an official merchandise Mug or Pint glass, while making notes on a Stanley pad with a Stanley pen (pack of 4) which they've bought from the club shop

DiG "Can't be bothered" has many connotations & reasons, so unless you can fully understand the underlying rationalisation of why, judgement shouldn't be so scathing.

Of course there may be many reasons fans can't attend. I didn't criticise anyone who lives away, on holiday, was attending their daughters wedding or going under the knife to have an ingrowing toenail removed - Just those who won't attend because in their own words they 'Can't be bothered!'

Ah, those pesky toenails or even worse, a case of the "Roids", just as well they can still stand down the Clayton end then isn't it? "Can't be bothered" I would assume to be one of those catch all phrases folks use to cover multiple issues, so again, let's not be to hasty to impugn.

DiG 'And your rational for your final comment is based on ...... ?'

Simple logic! If we all 'couldn't be bothered', there'd be nobody at the game!

Now that I doubt would ever come to pass, but if you wish to go into hyperbole, something the gentry of this sceptred Isle are well accustomed to doing, please do Lord Stiffy, feel free.

MH 'the club arranges these games not for the benefit of fans but as part of getting the squad ready for the season to come.'

If that's the only reason, why don't they play them behind closed doors then? It must be very difficult trying to arrange friendlies against higher league clubs.
ASFC have gone to great lengths to make these fixtures as attractive as possible & reduced the ticket prices to try & raise much needed revenue.
The response from some so called fans - 'I can't be bothered'
I wonder how many of the no-show fans would still feel that way if either Manchester United or City were the visitors??????
Irrespective of who Stanley play in friendlies, I'd assume the response would be similar to the one that has brought about this discussion. For good or bad attitudes are what they are & the more you argue the point the more entrenched attitudes will become.

Can't we just accept things as they are? Some folk will go to everything, some only to home games & others only to games within their geographical region. If you go to 1 or a 100 games is immaterial, as long as your hearts Stanley because at the end of it all that's what counts .... isn't it?
AccyMad, KiTChener, Chimer and 2 others like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..