Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2021, 18:09   #61
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Hull match thread

playing system or not sean and joe have not been doing it of late for whatever reason imho.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 20-01-2021, 23:06   #62
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
personally i think mlord has got it in one. our 2 strikers have had very little this season for some reason and it dont take a degree to see it.
Cashy !

1. Very little ball-winning or meaningful passing !.
2. Little or no effort to play attacking football alongside the forwards.
3. No on-field leadership apparent from the one chosen to provide this !.
4. Carrying little no threat to their opponents.

A brief pen-picture of Stanley's current midfield who are guiding the team to
a situation of wondering where the next point is going to come from !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 06:24   #63
Full Member+

have to slightly disagree with that Yonmon Sir but you make good points.
Excluding whoever plays at RWB as they have been more ‘defensive minded’ than our LWB.

Pritchard Conneely Butcher McConville.
Clark Conneely Finley McConville.

In my view I’d rather have the top 4 than bottom 4.
Does that mean the system isn’t working. On viewing I’d say maybe not but this is a system that has got us 12 points from safety with 3 games in hand and 3 points from play offs with 4 games in hand.

Much rather be in our position than most of the league.
Ipswich 8th and fans not happy. Burton bottom and fans not happy.

We are doing alright. Also, all 10 of our usual outfield starters are our players. Not loans.
AccyMad and cashman like this.
StanleyJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 07:39   #64
God Member

Heck we lose a couple and suddenly we are relegation material, get a grip I think we have looked a bit tired last 2 games maybe because the same players have played a lot of back to back games, Coley doesn't use subs regularly. But whose good enough to force a way into a losing side, keeper position is a positive, defence Sama undecided looks ok in patches but then becomes lack luster, Maguire looks out of favour Zehn, Harry, Jack the younger ones aren't ready. Midfield Roberts has the experience and class but looks short of match time Russell too inconsistent Uwakawe has it in the locker but hit and miss young Fenlon looks a talent and has pace maybe time to give him a start, upfront no options Mansell gone on loan others young untried so our squad of " 33 " isn't really that big need injured back and 2-3 new signings to get back with finishing top half that would be a marvelous season.
AccyMad likes this.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 07:47   #65
Senior Member+

Unhappy Re: Hull match thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJosh View Post
have to slightly disagree with that Yonmon Sir but you make good points.
Excluding whoever plays at RWB as they have been more ‘defensive minded’ than our LWB.

Pritchard Conneely Butcher McConville.
Clark Conneely Finley McConville.

In my view I’d rather have the top 4 than bottom 4.
Does that mean the system isn’t working. On viewing I’d say maybe not but this is a system that has got us 12 points from safety with 3 games in hand and 3 points from play offs with 4 games in hand.

Much rather be in our position than most of the league.
Ipswich 8th and fans not happy. Burton bottom and fans not happy.

We are doing alright. Also, all 10 of our usual outfield starters are our players. Not loans.
Josh !.. Merely stating my opinion based on what I am currently seeing laid out before me, particularly in the last three games, which is that our weaknesses in midfield allow opposing midfielders to easily overwhelm their efforts and by their penchant for constantly passing back to an already overworked back three or four create persistent and unwanted pressure on these defenders causing them to make hurried and non-productive clearances.

Hopefully, players returning from injury ,the signing of new players and a diminishing of the current emergency will reverse this worrying status quo,
and in turn diminish this state of high-anxiiety which is in danger of turning me into the grumpy old man of our Forum !.

ON STANLEY !.. ON TO GREATER THINGS !
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:53   #66
God Member

[QUOTE=Lord Stiffupperlip;1249411][
It's unfair to blame the back 3 for long balls to nobody when they're put under intense pressure by our own players.

You see it all the time from the also-rans in the PL. The constant sideways passing between midfield & defence, followed by the back-pass to the goalie at the slightest hint of an opponent coming within 5 yards.
It often goes on for minutes on end - Yawn! & it's killing the game.

do not forget the other one. the team who likes to play from the back. this usually means the keeper plays it short to a defender who then pass it around the back, goes to a mid fielder who then passes it back to a defender who lumps it over the half way line. the keeper could have done this in the first place without all this pointless passing with the defence then being higher up the pitch.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:04   #67
God Member

[QUOTE=andyd;1249417], defence Sama undecided looks ok in patches but then becomes lack luster,

first time i saw him i was really impressed but has certainly gone off the boil. another player who seems to be wasted is michael nottingham. someone who has played the majority of his career as a right sided defender usually in a back 4 who now seems to be playing more centrally. with this you lose the attacking side of his game. then we have sean. for me he just aint the same player yet as he was before his injury.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:07   #68
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

doubt if anyone thinks we are relegation material, what happening at the moment is just common sense to many fans we aint managers but we aint blind either.
Old 28-03-2021, 08:43   #69
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Eight View Post
In some respects Im pleased. Time for reality to kick in. Hull are a far better side / squad and so they should be.
Stop looking up start looking over our shoulders and be honest.
If we finish two or three places above relegation slots we’ve done brilliant.
Baxter.
Sykes. Hughes. Burgess.
Nottingham. Butcher. Conneelly. McConville. Pritchard.
Charles. Bishop.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..