Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-01-2017, 15:01   #1

Info for Visit to Boro

If you don't mind I will post info about pubs, car parking, directions to the ground on here.
I do this quite often for visiting fans especially for teams that don't often venture to our neck of the woods. Wish something like this was available when I was younger and travelling to away games instead of just bumbling about ending up in wrong pubs, getting lost.

Any chance of making this a sticky to save people starting loads of threads.
AccyMad, smobile and Chrisr like this.
thornabyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-01-2017, 15:16   #2

Re: Info for Visit to Boro

As you will know by now its a 3 pm Saturday KO.
Anyone on train , Transpennine from either Leeds or York every hour, getting in around 10 past the hour.
Transpennine back out are 26 mins past so the 5-26 is a good chance . Walk back to station takes 15 to 20 mins depending on if you walk fast or slow. I manage to get back for the Darlington train before it at 5-19 leaving stadium at 5.

Other train options via mainline into Darlington , 2 trains an hour to Boro and same back.
First one back is 5-19 and tends to be on time.
Old 14-01-2017, 19:16   #3

Anyone travelling by car, roads are easy to get in on.
A59 - A1-A19 follow signs and takes you either into centre or direct to ground.
Car parks near the ground charge upto a fiver. Council car park on France st.is free on Saturdays but dont park in the small bit near Mcdonalds/Subway as this is private and will ticket you.
https://www.middlesbrough.gov.uk/par...rk-information

If you are parking round France st then away fan friendlt pub is ver near , Doctor Browns plus thers is the Ironopolis Workingmens Club on Bright st just round corner which lets families in on matchdays. Big concert room with the early match on plus big bar and small snug. This gets busy but you will be welcome even with colours on.
To get to this area from the ground walk under the Sheperdson Bridge down Windward wat, take the small underpass on left under railway line. Take right at end of underpass and 100yards on cross rail crossing and through second underpass. Brings you out at Macs/Subway and Doc Browns,plus raod down into town for food and more pubs. Alllow 20 mins to get back to your seating area on east stand.
Old 14-01-2017, 19:39   #4
God Member

Thornabyred, thanks for the info. Would you like a job working in Stanley's office?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 19:43   #5
Senior Member+

Yes, thornaby; thanks very much indeed. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Revived Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:26   #6
Full Member+

Why can't Stanley do this for all visiting fans, simply do this in an email so people can print off if they need it. A simple but very helpful idea.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:32   #7

I've often provided this info for away fans, especially for new teams on their forum Chris. Sometimes with abuse back but sometimes with gratitude. I spend most of my time on matchdays with away fans also.
stanleyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 21:53   #8

I usually use the football league grounds website to plan my trip but a local perspective is always a good thing. Especially regarding time to the station and pubs
AccyMad and Revived Red like this.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 01:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Why can't Stanley do this for all visiting fans, simply do this in an email so people can print off if they need it. A simple but very helpful idea.
Instead of constantly complaining and running the club down. Why not offer your services. You can use the internet, go and give your knowledge and expertise. You don't half whine, give them the help you might even stop feeling bitter.
baldy and Red-Osbornello like this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 06:28   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeayess View Post
I usually use the football league grounds website to plan my trip but a local perspective is always a good thing. Especially regarding time to the station and pubs
I do the same, it's really useful especially if visiting a new ground but sometimes the info on there can be a little out of date so info from a home fan is always welcome
Revived Red likes this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 06:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyhouse View Post
I've often provided this info for away fans, especially for new teams on their forum Chris. Sometimes with abuse back but sometimes with gratitude. I spend most of my time on matchdays with away fans also.
I have been doing this since 2004/5 when we had a our European adventures. Started with visiting clubs then do it for new teams visiting Boro. As Stanleyhouse says some met with abuse, especially southern teams.
I used to have it all on a website but the company closed and lost that and cannot be bothered to start another one.
You will probably find that a number of Borofans will start posting info a bit nearer the day.
Old 15-01-2017, 07:45   #12

If you are getting to Boro early there is the Orange Pip market to visit. On Last Saturday of the month weather permitting.
Artisan market and street food set up around 2 streets in town centre. Half a dozen micro brewery pubs around there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/OrangePipMarket/?fref=ts
Old 17-01-2017, 18:06   #13

Anyone coming over early morning with kids in the car then you could stay on the A66 past the ground for 15 mins and go to Redcar. Seaside town, sea, beaches, amusement arcades . Nothing like Blackpool but could break the day up, easy road to and from the ground down A66.
sherry likes this.
Old 17-01-2017, 18:15   #14

for the older ones among us there is always our Transporter Bridge made famous in one of Auf Weiderscen Pet series.Auf Wiedersehen, Pet Heavy Metal Filming Locations.
The bridge is one of only 2 left in operation in UK.Other one is Newport. Takes cars vans across river to save 10 mile road trip.
Remember Tottenham fans years ago when it was on tv, couldnt believe it was still there and not in the US.
sherry likes this.
Old 17-01-2017, 21:33   #15

Thornabyred - this information is excellent. I Played at Redcar golf course in the early 80s, did some work at Billingham/Wilton in the late 80s, went for a night out in Boro/Stockton in 1990 and played in an amazing footy tournament at Grangetown in 1997 (meeting Wilf Mannion in the process).
It will be nice to add a famous Stanley victory to these happy memories.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..