Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2022, 16:44   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

ipswitch game

unless the team are taught to pass accuratly the ball out of defence we will struggle this season i think, its no good booting it anywhere all it means is our opponents are back on the attack,our distribution is poor.
pifco likes this.

Last edited by cashman; 03-09-2022 at 16:50.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2022, 19:30   #2
God Member

Re: ipswitch game

I actually thought it was a cracking game of football which we were unfortunate to lose 2 - nil, Ipswich were slightly quicker on the ball than us at times & are probably the best opposition I've witnessed so far - I know it's early days but they're top.of the league & on that showing will probably be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.
Our lads are still learning to gel together, especially in defence where - don't forget- we've lost 3 stalwarts from last season all at once.
We're a work in progress & I'm not too unhappy with what I've seen so far on the whole & if that cheeky chip from Tommy Leigh had gone in, who knows
cashman and chevyfire like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 19:49   #3
Full Member+

Massively disappointed to lose the game but i thought everyone put in a good shift today and we looked a decent side up until 75 minutes and then Ipswich stepped up a gear. Lets hope for a bit more luck on Tuesday.
Watchdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:27   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

everyone did put in a shift no doubt, but what i said still stands, booting it to one makes one hell of a difference, it probably what they have been instructed to do,
Old 04-09-2022, 13:01   #5
God Member

Presume you meant to write “booting it to no one”, Cashy. There was a lot of that from Stanley as their defending got more and more desperate as the game progressed.
I noticed two things yesterday. The first happened, but less effectively, with Burton and Exeter, and was that Ipswich pressed Stanley in their own defensive half whilst their own defenders held an extremely high line, sometimes just a few yards into their own half.
Stanley had Matt Lowe chasing on his own to close down Ipswich defenders, but mainly Stanley stood off and didn’t seem to ‘engage’ until they got near or past the half way line.
Consequently, Ipswich constantly used their keeper as a sweeper to keep the ball away from any marauding Stanley forward before passing it to their midfield further up the field.
At the same time, Stanley always seemed to want to play out from the back and rarely put a ball through into space for a winger to run onto. This was typified by McConville, who was invariably running back towards his own goal to receive a pass from his defence. He’s not the only one who does it, but there were lots of times when a quick ball behind the Ipswich defence, into the acres of space that they left, might have created something.
Of course, that supposes Stanley have a winger fast enough to latch onto those through balls and one or more attackers to get into the box to make something of the cross. Josh Woods seemed to be one of the few on the pitch yesterday that had the necessary pace. Pritchard used to, but he’s clearly still not back to his best.
Perhaps other teams have also twigged this, and crowd the game into Stanley’s half knowing they don’t have to worry too much about getting caught out by a through ball behind their defence.
pifco likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 13:15   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

booting it to no-one is what i meant, if some cant see that then they are blinder than me,
Old 04-09-2022, 13:54   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Presume you meant to write “booting it to no one”, Cashy. There was a lot of that from Stanley as their defending got more and more desperate as the game progressed.
I noticed two things yesterday. The first happened, but less effectively, with Burton and Exeter, and was that Ipswich pressed Stanley in their own defensive half whilst their own defenders held an extremely high line, sometimes just a few yards into their own half.
Stanley had Matt Lowe chasing on his own to close down Ipswich defenders, but mainly Stanley stood off and didn’t seem to ‘engage’ until they got near or past the half way line.
Consequently, Ipswich constantly used their keeper as a sweeper to keep the ball away from any marauding Stanley forward before passing it to their midfield further up the field.
At the same time, Stanley always seemed to want to play out from the back and rarely put a ball through into space for a winger to run onto. This was typified by McConville, who was invariably running back towards his own goal to receive a pass from his defence. He’s not the only one who does it, but there were lots of times when a quick ball behind the Ipswich defence, into the acres of space that they left, might have created something.
Of course, that supposes Stanley have a winger fast enough to latch onto those through balls and one or more attackers to get into the box to make something of the cross. Josh Woods seemed to be one of the few on the pitch yesterday that had the necessary pace. Pritchard used to, but he’s clearly still not back to his best.
Perhaps other teams have also twigged this, and crowd the game into Stanley’s half knowing they don’t have to worry too much about getting caught out by a through ball behind their defence.
I noticed first half Liegh and Hamilton who play in the forward midfield thus being the men to press the opposition played to deep resulting in Coyle who was excellent again having constant pressure put on him. Think at half time Coleman must have had a word because they both played further no coincidence we then had our best spell and maybe could or should have scored, but ultimately their class showed and they deserved the win although their second goal had a lot of luck spraying down on it and it killed any comeback hopes off, seriously getting short of options upfront with injuries will Hardy get a chance.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 14:01   #8
God Member

Agree that Coyle had a very good game yesterday.
As to Hardy, maybe we could get Laurel to partner him? Is he the Stephen Sama de nous jour. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him, even warming up.
Same with Jack Nolan, another who has potential, or at least a left foot, but who just doesn’t seem to get a look in.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 14:49   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Agree that Coyle had a very good game yesterday.
As to Hardy, maybe we could get Laurel to partner him? Is he the Stephen Sama de nous jour. Don’t think I’ve ever seen him, even warming up.
Same with Jack Nolan, another who has potential, or at least a left foot, but who just doesn’t seem to get a look in.
Before yesterday's game Nolan was sat with Jimmy Bell in the dug outs has for Hardy he was knocking about at one pre season friendly seems crazy to me to have so many on the wage bill who obviously not getting picked.
Old 04-09-2022, 15:55   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Before yesterday's game Nolan was sat with Jimmy Bell in the dug outs has for Hardy he was knocking about at one pre season friendly seems crazy to me to have so many on the wage bill who obviously not getting picked.
it is crazy to me. but its nowt new here,
Old 04-09-2022, 16:19   #11

Two months have passed since the season started & still no sign of striker Touray Sisay?
It must be some hell of a calf injury, or perhaps they meant an actual calf collided with him during training?
Have they tried rubbing Voltarol on it?
Think I've a spare tube in me bathroom cupboard.
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 18:03   #12
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
Two months have passed since the season started & still no sign of striker Touray Sisay?
It must be some hell of a calf injury, or perhaps they meant an actual calf collided with him during training?
Have they tried rubbing Voltarol on it?
Think I've a spare tube in me bathroom cupboard.

Spot on. Can never understand why the club doesn't issue an update on the fitness of some of these wayward players who seem to go missing. We had the same scenario with Sama who was a no show throughout the whole of the season. An honest update would prevent negative speculation amongst us supporters.
Watchdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 19:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Spot on. Can never understand why the club doesn't issue an update on the fitness of some of these wayward players who seem to go missing. We had the same scenario with Sama who was a no show throughout the whole of the season. An honest update would prevent negative speculation amongst us supporters.
Spot on need more updates or speculation gets worse bigger a squad more to keep happy or to fit into " the Stanley way as Coleman often says about new signing,s ".
Old 04-09-2022, 19:31   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

hes not even in the team pics?? sisay? so is he here or what?
Old 04-09-2022, 19:45   #15
God Member

Still a few weeks away - according to Coley (in his Ipswich post-match)

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..