Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2018, 19:15   #16
Full Member+

Re: Irons Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Stanley looking great. Better team without Kee...but can we score?
Better team without KEE what are you on. We would have been 2 or 3 goals up with Kee getting the service he could have had today if fit,as for Zanzala has he really played football before, on todays show it sure didn't look like it.

get well soon Billy.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2018, 19:24   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Zanzalas big problem apart from his finishing, is the fact he don't stay on his feet, which helps if footballs yer occupation.
monkey hanger and ferret man like this.
Old 01-09-2018, 20:47   #18

Despite predicting a draw, this was a game Stanley could have won by half-time, such was our domination in the first 45 minutes.
The Iron looked as rusty as the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. Unfortunately, our Kee free attack was even rustier.
Zanzala was given the privilege of leading the attack for a full 90 minutes. Here was his moment in the spotlight, his chance to shine.
Instead he gave an outstanding performance - as 'The Invisible Man'.
If Kayden Jackson was a white shark, deadly in attack, then Zanzala looked like a basking shark. Slow, lumbering & toothless.
Mid way through the second half the Iron sharpened up their act & began to boss the game.
From being in total control, the inevitable result of not taking your chances came back to bite us on the bum when, on 80 minutes Scunny pulled off daylight robbery by scoring.
Two minutes later, Conneely pulled out a 'get out of jail' card & showed our forwards how to do it by smashing in a vital equaliser.
Never been so relieved before to actually win a point.
Hurry back Billy Boy!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 20:47   #19

First half was an epic performance, our midfield was so solid. second half scrappy and Scunthorpe finished stronger.
Hard to pick a MOTM.
Zanzala does not look good enough to me but I’d like to see him get a run of games to know for sure. If we have three in central midfield then surely we need someone who runs around a lot on their own rather than Billy. Maybe the Bolton forward is the answer?

A few more observations:
Ripley - I like him. Not afraid to ping out some long balls to our wingers.
Finley - much quieter game than last home game, still looks class at times
Clark - is a championship player
Voulez Vous song about Hughes - is awful. The one about Jimmy John and Eric Whalley is however, a banger.
Anderton - left back spot is his
Ref - 3 mins of injury time???? Just bonkers. Should have been six.

Finally, Ripley made history in the second half. First player to hoof it over the roof of the new stand.
yonmon and chevyfire like this.
Lord Didsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 21:25   #20
Senior Member+

Speaking of the new stand, what was the atmosphere like today? On my rare trip north for the Gills game, I thought it was very flat except for the first and last 15 minutes- maybe because of the open side?
Old 01-09-2018, 22:05   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
Speaking of the new stand, what was the atmosphere like today? On my rare trip north for the Gills game, I thought it was very flat except for the first and last 15 minutes- maybe because of the open side?
You mean the usual vocal crescendo from the Scrattin' Sheds was missing? Maybe it was the result?
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 22:18   #22

Atmosphere was average. Not on par with in ultra hey days of mid/late noughties or the big games or when we take alot away. But better than three/four years ago. The bit extra numbers helps a little. I encourage all those whom attend to make a racket as I do think it helps the players and are team. A small group sung quite a bit for most of game but we did have quiet moments (rarely heard Scunthorpe fans throughout the game).

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
chevyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 22:51   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
You mean the usual vocal crescendo from the Scrattin' Sheds was missing? Maybe it was the result?
No, the Clayton End went quiet long before the first Gills goal that day.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:59   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret man View Post
Better team without KEE what are you on. We would have been 2 or 3 goals up with Kee getting the service he could have had today if fit,as for Zanzala has he really played football before, on todays show it sure didn't look like it.

get well soon Billy.
agree with you about billy. they were there for the taking and it felt like 2 points lost for me. as for zanzala he can only get better.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:31   #25
Senior Member+

That’s the point Monkey. I don’t think he can get better.
Twenty Eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:41   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Oh i think at 19 he can probably get better! but will never attain League 1 standard, but possibly get good enough for the Conference. Personally i hope the new loanees are ok and we never see him again.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Oh i think at 19 he can probably get better! but will never attain League 1 standard, but possibly get good enough for the Conference. Personally i hope the new loanees are ok and we never see him again.

And that is that !!... 😎

ZZZZZZZ !...🤐
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:26   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

In the cold light of day, we played really well first half without finishing anything, was alaways gonna be hard with our main 2 strikers from last season absent, but cant understand why what i regard our main threat from corners was absent? Sykes to me should have played, hes a decent threat from sean macs corners, no doubt at all to me. we didn't seem to have anyone that looked like getting on the end of em to me.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:03   #29
God Member

I think some are being a bit harsh on Zanzala, he hasn't played much yet & suddenly is thrown up front on his own for 90 minutes - ok, Mangan came on late on supposedly to help him out but in my book he was conspicuous by his absence.
In the first half we could've/should've had three or four but in the second half Scunthorpe had obviously had a rocket & came out a different team. Both defences I thought were for the most part, excellent & it became a more even contest.
Once we get that first home win (& it'll most likely come next week when I can't be there!) we'll be fine - I'm quite happy with 8th place at the moment & being unbeaten in 5 games, especially when the 'experts' had us down as relegation fodder before a ball had been kicked (nothing unusual in that though).
At the end of the day, we're in a tougher league & our new players are still settling - I've no worries at all that we can't hack it in League 1
MikeA, sherry and chevyfire like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

I have no worries we cant hack it, if telling what i see as the truth is harsh so be it.
DAV007 likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..