Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-07-2005, 03:32   #1

Is it time?

I don't know if I can take the waiting much longer. Would someone over there please see what can be done about pushing the calendar forward to the start of the season?
MichiganRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-07-2005, 09:34   #2
God Member

Re: Is it time?

Give me a couple of weeks and I will do it
Old 28-07-2005, 22:35   #3

From 200+ miles away I worry that we do not seem to have a team that can make an impact, yet. Kinda wish the season was 4 weeks away rather than 2 - what do you local lads think, having seen in the flesh so to speak ?
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 06:24   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLostSon
From 200+ miles away I worry that we do not seem to have a team that can make an impact, yet. Kinda wish the season was 4 weeks away rather than 2 - what do you local lads think, having seen in the flesh so to speak ?
I don't think you're a million miles off in your assumptions. I'm not unrealistic in my expectations and I know all clubs start the season with hopes of promotion, but unless significant signings are made, I can't see us achieving very much at all.

The worrying thing is, as results/performances suffer, the crowds will dwindle and the impact on the club's 'full-time status' is bound to be affected too. It's a catch 22 situation and there's no easy solution unfortunately.
Old 29-07-2005, 07:26   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey
The worrying thing is, as results/performances suffer, the crowds will dwindle and the impact on the club's 'full-time status' is bound to be affected too. It's a catch 22 situation and there's no easy solution unfortunately.
This is exactly what's worrying me at the moment. I know they're only friendly matches, but if we can't beat Arnold Town, how are we going to go on against Hereford and Exeter?

Also, Smithy's testimonial was something of an eye-opener for me, as it showed just how few in number us hardcore Stanley fans really are (with apologies to those who couldn't make it because of holidays, distance etc).

I know Eric runs a tight ship financially, but I think it may be time to spend the money received for Evil and Rory - and perhaps a little more - on some quality signings.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 09:04   #6
rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
I know Eric runs a tight ship financially, but I think it may be time to spend the money received for Evil and Rory - and perhaps a little more - on some quality signings.
who would you spend money on wynonie? not a dig, serious question...

Last edited by rob; 29-07-2005 at 09:04. Reason: remove sig
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 09:28   #7
Super Moderator

I don't have any names in mind in particular, but just a really strong striker, possibly from one of the lower division league clubs.
Old 29-07-2005, 09:36   #8
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob
who would you spend money on wynonie? not a dig, serious question...
... and an unfair question!

We do not have the details of which players are available and what their wage demands will be.

I'm sure we all share Coley's view that another four new players are needed, particularly a striker. It is just frustrating that it is not obvious from Coley's actions so far (i.e. players that we have trialled) where those four players are going to come from. We all remember the goalkeeper saga last year. The most basic requirement is that they are better than either the players we have already or the players we have released, so someone to at least match Evil is required. Maybe Rodney Jack will be the triallist to capture our imaginations, we'll see on Wednesday.

But last year we didn't have a particularly good pre-season and were 2nd in the league at the end of September ...
Whalley Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 09:45   #9
Give, give, give member

I for one, as a 'new' fan, will be there come the start of the season proper.

I don't think poor crowds for friendlies are down to Rory and Evil going, but like Tin Monkey said, more likely to the fact that lots of people are away on holiday.

New signings to replace those two stalwarts would be good though.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 10:15   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I for one, as a 'new' fan, will be there come the start of the season proper.
Good! We could do with a few more - in fact, a lot more - like you!
Old 29-07-2005, 11:02   #11
Senior Member+

Shaun Goater has just been released from Reading Does Ged not know him from his City days ?
Smiffy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 11:44   #12
Super Moderator

Feed the Goat and he will score...but, sadly, not for us with the sort of wages that he will want.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 29-07-2005 at 11:46.
Old 30-07-2005, 18:09   #13

wanna name Rob ? - how about that young forward that Forest Green have, McNiven or something similar (don't grow old - the memory cells dry up !). Despit FGR's lowly state, he still seemed to bother teams in the last 2 seasons.
LongLostSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2005, 19:21   #14
God Member

i thought he got sold to some scotish side - but im probably wrong??
Old 30-07-2005, 21:10   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
i thought he got sold to some scotish side - but im probably wrong??
Are you thinking of David McNiven who was at Leigh, but went to Queen of the South?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..