Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-02-2015, 20:24   #31
God Member

Re: Its the..CHELTENHAM match thread.

...if I start the vacuum cleaner, could that get us the winner?... No, ****** that.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-02-2015, 20:34   #32
Senior Member+

Cheltenham town came for a draw and the referee did his best to ensure they got their point.

They are the worst team I have seen in league 2 this season
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:35   #33
God Member

C'mon-a stoppage time game clincher please Stanley.
Old 20-02-2015, 20:37   #34

All over
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 20:38   #35
God Member

Dam..the one time I didn't take the 1-1 result.
Old 20-02-2015, 20:39   #36
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

All over bar the shouting, not as good as a win, but definitely better than loosing, roll on Tuesday.
Old 20-02-2015, 21:16   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
Cheltenham town came for a draw and the referee did his best to ensure they got their point.

They are the worst team I have seen in league 2 this season
Agree 100% How we failed to beat a shocking Cheltenham side is beyond me. The ref was shocking,also, Atko had a real shocker tonight imho.The Cheltenham goal was another GIFT. Too many times we done that this season. Too many balls lumped up in the air was our downfall. But we still created enough chances to win by a mile.Roll on tuesday night We still have got 7pts outa the last 9, Shay scored a cracker following a great cross from Pierro.

Last edited by cashman; 20-02-2015 at 21:19.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 21:24   #38
Resting in Peace

Just got in and said to son in law who usually brings us luck that at least the usual ref moaners can't complain tonight, and then I saw Davo and Cashy's posts! We outplayed Cheltenham for the majority of the match with energy, drive and no little skill from Piero and Bruna in particular. Once again, however we were woefully short of quality and composure in and around the box. Why we can't try a little variation in our free kicks like trying to work a few triangles to get behind the defence instead of lumping the ball into the goalies arms is beyond me. A big opportunity missed and Coley must be fuming.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 21:39   #39
Senior Member+

A disappointing result, a disppointing match and a disppointing performance.
I agree with Dav and Cashman that Cheltenham were probably the poorest side to play at The Crown this season. However, we weren't much better tonight!
We seemed to be in reasonable control in the first half but the "Keeper Curse" struck again as Davies only 'half jumped' for a right wing centre that I at first I thought he was going to catch with ease! He must have simply misjudged the cross as he was on his way back down when the ball bounced onto the head of one of their players and it it looped over him for a simple goal. The keeper took his frustration out on the post with his boots as the play kicked off again! Apart from that he had quite a good game!
Losing Hunt resulted in some strange substitutions in my opinion. Moving Pierro to Right Back removed our main threat going forward, although he still made the equalizer! Then Cal came on at Left Back for Seamus who was being done for pace by their right winger. Cal did ok but it was a bit risky as he was always likely to lose possession as he tried to play his way out from defence. Shay was the one bright spark tonight as he injected some much needed urgency and pace into our attacks. Rob's distribution was poor tonight. Deano did ok and was rarely under pressure. Procky had a good 20 minute spell in the first part of the second half but too many others were under par.
Lucky to get a draw really. We should be putting teams like Cheltenham to the sword!
If we play like this in the next three games we won't get a single point!
KEEP THE FAITH
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 21:56   #40
Senior Member+

Thought there was only one team who wanted to win and they just parked the bus and relied on counter attack and dead ball situations.
Thought Coley took a big gamble in replacing our fullbacks with wingers!,and it's probably the most attacking team we have ever fielded.
Cashys nailed it and Rob was poor tonight,giving a cheap corner away for their goal and got done for pace a few times.
Thought Windass was more effective when he went more right than central and they did their homework on Terry with someone sitting right on his toes.
Felt sorry for the keeper who generally played well and Pierro was great when he went to right back.
Must admit tho,they were poor but defended well and had a right winger with bags of pace
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 22:14   #41
Senior Member+

Liddle on the bench and not used was a massive blunder by Coley IMHO.......Conneely was done time after time....Liddle should of been put on at left back and Conneely moved to right back ,he hasn't got a left foot and kept turning to get it on his right foot and kept getting caught ....I hold him responsible for two recent defeats and us not winning tonight..Just my opinion but it seems Coley and Lidds have fallen out.A special mention to Josh and Piero they ran their hearts out.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 22:21   #42
Senior Member+

We where far superior, a very frustrating evening.

Cashman is right, our final ball and decision making is still not good enough.

Cheltenham worked us out 2nd half and flooded the area around Gornell to win the 2nd balls, I though Naismith had a bad game, his direct passing and crossing was poor.

I hate it when teams come for a draw and get one, they where made up at the end.

Surely we can't keep getting these terrible match officials? The referee was dire again. The way we play requires a no nonsense referee to protect our passing style, sadly the referee gave us nothing despite some blatant fouling and shirt pulling.

Apologies to anyone sitting around me for my language to the linesman, but the guy was as blind as a bat in the 1st half, Piero got his shirt pulled everywhere and the clown didn't protect him.

If we create half as many chances as we did tonight vs Burton, I will be happy.

We are close to being a top 10 team, the team is improving every game.

One last thing, did Connelly take a knock or does he simply not have the legs? I do think he limits the team both defensively and offensively when he plays at left back.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 22:26   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
Liddle on the bench and not used was a massive blunder by Coley IMHO.......Conneely was done time after time....Liddle should of been put on at left back and Conneely moved to right back ,he hasn't got a left foot and kept turning to get it on his right foot and kept getting caught ....I hold him responsible for two recent defeats and us not winning tonight..Just my opinion but it seems Coley and Lidds have fallen out.A special mention to Josh and Piero they ran their hearts out.
That would be a predictable and boring choice !!!,we have never had such attacking fullbacks and one got us an assist.
Defending is a different argument.
Are you saying we would have been more offensive with conneely and lids playing?,no chance,big call and it worked for me,as long as we don't get carried away plying that way
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 22:39   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
That would be a predictable and boring choice !!!,we have never had such attacking fullbacks and one got us an assist.
Defending is a different argument.
Are you saying we would have been more offensive with conneely and lids playing?,no chance,big call and it worked for me,as long as we don't get carried away plying that way
Could or should have either moved Conneely or taken him off altogether,please don't tell me Lidds isn't an attacking fullback and Piero became a lot more ineffective moved back even though he played well and his assist was fantastic.
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 23:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbyman View Post
Piero became a lot more ineffective moved back even though he played well and his assist was fantastic.
So he was ineffective despite still covering almost every blade of grass, putting in a man of the match performance and setting up the goal when he was moved to right back.

Cheltenham had no desire to attack so why bother putting a defender on? It was a brave move from Coleman and one that, in my opinion, should be applauded because it would have been easy to just throw Liddle on but he tried something different to go for the win.

On another day, perhaps Cheltenham go home having had their backsides handed to them, but it wasn't to be and we move on to Burton on Tuesday night.

Ultimately, the question is: would people have taken four points from Southend and Cheltenham? The answer, I'd guess, is yes. Perhaps picking up the unexpected three at Roots Hall makes it more disappointing not to have won tonight, but look at the bigger picture and it's not all that bad.
StanleyAccrington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..