Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2006, 18:40   #1

I've done some sums / Letter in the Non-League Paper

For the mathematians among you, I've been doing some sums.

We have got 6 games left (a possible 18 points) - so we could get a maximum of 99 points

Hereford have got 7 games left (a possible 21 points) - so they could get a maximum of 88 points - 7 more than we have now.

So whatever we do, (even if we were to lose ALL our remaining games), if Hereford were to lose two more games and draw one - we have clinched the championship. Well, I say that, they would still be able to take it of us if we were to lose our remaining games, and they win theirs - and recoup a goal difference of over 30 goals on us.

If both us and Hereford win all our remaining games. A draw at home to Scarborough would clinch us the championship.

If Hereford drop points (and they are away to Woking and Morecambe next - two good teams, two difficult games), we could clinch it at Woking at Easter time.

In the event of us beating Grays Athletic at the weekend, and Woking beating Hereford, we would only need only 1 point to win the championship.

In the worst scenario, if we were to lose all our remaining games and Hereford won there's, we would fall one point behind them, with just Kidderminster away to play.

Anyway, moving on, I was a bit annoyed by the letter in the "Non-League Paper" from Michael West.......
"Accrington Stanley (1968) was built on little more than a name with Peel Park in ruins and such a fan base as existed, gone elsewhere. The founders of the new Stanley were faced with a more daunting task than those that rescued the football names of Aldershot and Telford.
Perhaps it will be third time lucky for a league team bearing the name of Accrington, but there is the unavoidable reality that not even the title-winning adventures of their local team is capable of tempting the Accrington public to support them in significant numbers. With the average arrendance of only 1,500, there is a statistical similasrity to the attendances that scuppered their predecessors in 1961-62.
Without a significant fan base, the romantic "return" of Accrington Stanley to the League appears to hold little prospect of emulating the triumphs of more recent exiles Doncaster and Carlisle."

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Dave
davy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2006, 18:41   #2

Re: I've done some sums / Letter in the Non-League Paper

please , i really dont want to read an essay! i read the first bit then **** be arsed , lol but im sure its gud and theres two of them aswell

5tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 18:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tanley
please , i really dont want to read an essay! i read the first bit then **** be arsed , lol but im sure its gud and theres two of them aswell
Fair enough - but it's all good stuff!!
Old 27-03-2006, 18:49   #4
God Member

At the moment we need 8 poitns to win the league!!!

****** the fella who wrote to NLP he has his opwn view but the only one that matters regarding attendences to wage bill is Eric Whalleys...People will always have sour grapes but we will still enjoy it while we can!
Old 27-03-2006, 18:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
At the moment we need 8 poitns to win the league!!!!
Hopefully, we'll get three of them this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Timmins
****** the fella who wrote to NLP he has his opwn view but the only one that matters regarding attendences to wage bill is Eric Whalleys...People will always have sour grapes but we will still enjoy it while we can!
Absolutely!!!
Old 27-03-2006, 19:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davy_boy
If both us and Hereford win all our remaining games. A draw at home to Scarborough would clinch us the championship.
Actually, if both us and Hereford win all our matches, it's the Woking match at which we will be Champions.

We need 8 points to beat them, Woking's the third match (after Grays and FGR), so if we win those, we win the title. That'll be 9 points to take us to 90 points, 2 more than Hereford can get if they win all their remaining matches.
Fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 19:56   #7
God Member

The man speaks the truth. Ish. There is no reason why couldn't survive on 1500 crowds, although I think this will rise to an average of 2500 in the 1st year and 2000 if we get a 2nd year. Rochdale have pottered about on crap crowds for years and there are others. Bury are only in their financial predicament due to previous frivolousness. Eric is not frivolous and he runs a very fine business at the Club. We can and will continue to prosper with our various off the field activities that the people of Accrington do support us with.

The issue of crowds will gradually rise if we stay in the league long enough. The average crowd of 1500 contains 1000 people who weren't watching us five years ago. 23 years ago as a six year old boy I was the only Stanley supporter on my street and in my school. Now I see kids playing in the park wearing our red shirt and it makes me proud that this generation of Stanley fan is not alone in their support. If we continue to grow the fanbase as we have then in five years we will have crowds of 4500 (assumed I know, but...)

We also have the added benefit of not being in any kind of debt other than general day to day stuff such as the window cleaner and milkman. If we needed to, then we could make use of an overdraft or a loan. It is not the Whalley way to do this, but how much would it take to gamble on promotion to League One? That would not happen but it could be done. The future is in safe hands. Even if we do come straight back down, so what? Better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all. We will be a 'proper club' then. We will have said ta very much for the grant money and our lovely new stands and roof, we will have banked some brass from better crowds, we will probably have sold Roberts, Mangan, Craney and Boco and have banked about £300k for it. We will probably have a 20% bigger fanbase with which to compete in the Conference, and we will get back on Sky every other week.

Now taking names for the train to Rochdale by the way
Old 27-03-2006, 20:21   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod

Now taking names for the train to Rochdale by the way
Surely we should do the 464 derby the proper way? Get the 464 bus! Accy-Rochdale about £3
Old 27-03-2006, 20:32   #9

maccawozza , wht u mean takin names for the train , for wht match?>>

Old 27-03-2006, 20:36   #10

sorry for my commnets below im not cockey ,im a grown man just trying to put my view aloft! im sorry if someone was affened from my behavour

Old 27-03-2006, 20:40   #11
God Member

it was a joke.........

Zayno I agree. £3 DAY ROVER ticket, Rossendale transport to put extra buses on for us. 70 to a bus so, about 10 or 11 buses giving it Ring of Fire up Manchester Road. Close your eyes people, visualise Peel St packed with 1000 red and white, now start humming, dah dah dah dah dah da! Can you feel the goose pimples?

Nice coaches for long trips, but give me tinpot, ramshackle, will-it-get-up-the-hill-when-full local double deckers for generating the noise. Reminds of Scunthorpe.
Old 27-03-2006, 20:48   #12

OK LOL anyways when is the next away match i need to book it !

Old 27-03-2006, 21:58   #13
Senior Member+

gonna be some cracking away games next season i hope!
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 23:45   #14

Smile Re: I've done some sums / Letter in the Non-League Paper

Nice coaches for long trips, but give me tinpot, ramshackle, will-it-get-up-the-hill-when-full local double deckers for generating the noise. Reminds of Scunthorpe.[/quote]

Reminds me of Barnses coaches of Rishton, will it get up the hill? Yes if you all get out & push!!! & don't worry about the reams of smoke from the exhaust, Oy driver wheres the floor- thats to put your feet through & run to get the coach up to speed ( about 21 MPH max) weren't those the days.
Old 28-03-2006, 09:15   #15

Our average gate this season is now 1710, it's gone up with the last few bumper crowds. I have no doubt thay it will go even higher with the last three home games. For every 220 over 1710 it will go up by 10, therfore if we have 2370 on Saturday the average gate will be 1740, clear everone?
Tommy McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..