Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree143Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2015, 09:44   #166
God Member

Re: James Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I wouldn't take it personally against the club, they are trying to close the whole town down
Maybe we could start some kind of petition to make Hyndburn Council see sense and let us have the ground at a reasonable asking price I do,nt think anybody expects it for nothing. Could be really beneficial for both parties in years to come.
Accrington Web
Old 10-04-2015, 21:04   #167

All the land on Livingstone Rd is earmarked for housing development so could make more money from builders
Old 10-04-2015, 21:44   #168

Many years ago I was told that the original plan was to extend Livingstone Road through to Whinney Hill and build on the HBC land on the right beyond the gate that is there (I was told that on the left it was LCC land.) However it was pointed out that the previous use of the land made that impossible so the road just stops.

Possibly none of this is of any use as nothing was said about either the 'Crown' ground or that of the 'Accy Amateurs.'
Old 11-04-2015, 07:44   #169
God Member

Hyndburn's intentions could be revealed if someone or some group made an application to designate The Crown ground a "community asset". This is often done to protect open space, and even pubs, from redevelopment. If the ASSC are interested, I could send them the details of the process, if not already aware.
It would be an interesting 'political' statement if the Council's planning authority refused to designate the ground as such.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:51   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Hyndburn's intentions could be revealed if someone or some group made an application to designate The Crown ground a "community asset". This is often done to protect open space, and even pubs, from redevelopment. If the ASSC are interested, I could send them the details of the process, if not already aware.
It would be an interesting 'political' statement if the Council's planning authority refused to designate the ground as such.
Well said.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:59   #171
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry View Post
Many years ago I was told that the original plan was to extend Livingstone Road through to Whinney Hill and build on the HBC land on the right beyond the gate that is there (I was told that on the left it was LCC land.) However it was pointed out that the previous use of the land made that impossible so the road just stops.

Possibly none of this is of any use as nothing was said about either the 'Crown' ground or that of the 'Accy Amateurs.'
The Amatuers ground still has another 10 years to run on the lease
Old 11-04-2015, 13:09   #172
Full Member+

Nice to see some discussion on the issue of James Gray. I asked John and Jimmy straight out, Is the problem with James and John a personal one, He emphatically denied any personal grudge or anything else. I was a little dissappointed at the turn out for both the supporters club meeting and the Q&a with jimmy and John. I was impressed with the way they answered the questions without attempting to dodge a question. I even dared to question his tactical play and other playing systems. He answered straight as to why he played certain systems against certain clubs, All things including injuries and suspensions made the difference. All things considered it was a good night.
Old 11-04-2015, 13:17   #173

don't know if you've got local elections along with the general - good time to ask candidates for statement of intent re Stanley if so.

Chris R : - thanks for brief John/Jimmy comments - were they asked about late-on substitutions when we're chasing the game ?
Old 11-04-2015, 19:11   #174

Quote:
Have always thought it would be a perfect training ground / facility for Stanley.
Old 11-04-2015, 19:39   #175
God Member

The site as a whole would house a Football League ground plus 2 full size training pitches for use by the club/Amateurs/club representative sides such as The Ultras or a Ladies side. Car parking plus landscaping would complete the site. From a traffic point of view the road would need completing to Whinney Hill to give two relief flows.

Site provision could be made for facilities that the town lacks (such as a large music venue)

HBC should be pushing something like this to provide the town's primary asset with the means to compete locally and nationally, and the town itself would also be able to compete at county level with other towns of a similar size

completing Livingstone Road would also link the residential and industrial estates which could bring about multiple other benefits

Last edited by maccawozzagod; 11-04-2015 at 19:41.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:57   #176
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
I was a little dissappointed at the turn out for both the supporters club meeting and the Q&a with jimmy and John.

I'm beginning to wonder about your expectations

I thought the turnout was decent
Old 12-04-2015, 09:34   #177
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The site as a whole would house a Football League ground plus 2 full size training pitches for use by the club/Amateurs/club representative sides such as The Ultras or a Ladies side. Car parking plus landscaping would complete the site. From a traffic point of view the road would need completing to Whinney Hill to give two relief flows.

Site provision could be made for facilities that the town lacks (such as a large music venue)

HBC should be pushing something like this to provide the town's primary asset with the means to compete locally and nationally, and the town itself would also be able to compete at county level with other towns of a similar size

completing Livingstone Road would also link the residential and industrial estates which could bring about multiple other benefits
In the 2000 Local Plan it looks to be designated as Green Belt. I can't see anything that updates this mentioning the site.

Also how could the club afford to build a new ground?

Last edited by Chewbacca; 12-04-2015 at 09:37.
Old 12-04-2015, 14:45   #178
God Member

in a nutshell Chewie, the club couldn't. No club anywhere should expect the council to help them out (Doncaster's did - £32m), but it is something that I feel the council could work with the club towards if it fulfils various criteria.

ie
  • if such a vision came to pass then surely the club would be able to offer more paid jobs?
  • the Community side of the club is woefully under advertised and (from what I can see) does a wonderful job - much of this is what is says on the tin and is for the benefit of the community
  • as a venue for things other than football such as the Carnival, Mela, Music Concerts
  • the 'training pitches' would be maintained by the club but could be for use by the boys leagues thus taking some of the strain off the Parks Department.
  • as a full time, professionally operated business, then the club could potentially offer far more educational openings than it already does?

It's all pie in the sky, but the Council could reap a far higher nominal rent than the nominal rent it is bound to at the moment. Just to put any kind of a figure to it I believe the current rent to be less than £1000 per year and we have some sort of covenant in place that we can live there at the agreed price for x number of decades. If the council were to fund some sort of venue that we operate we could potentially pay a rent of say £100,000 per annum. The council would recoup its investment in a short set of years, and would have generated a good lump of goodwill, and would have improved the facilities stock of its constituents, and would have helped its chief export to sell itself better. The club, whilst being saddled with a significantly higher expense than it currently has, would be provided with the means to generate its own income from better facilities than it currently has, whilst also getting the opportunity to win back many of the fans lost to a dripping stand roof or putting their foot through a pi$$ sodden portakabin floor.

In reality it would never happen and the best we could hope for from the council would be that they sell the ground out from under us and offer us some sort of recompense to ****** off to the outskirts of the borough where they can't see us.
KiTChener likes this.
Old 12-04-2015, 16:24   #179
Senior Member+

Quote:
maybe there is 10 years left on the amatuers ground lease
but as far as I know there is only 1 year lease left on the crown ground
Old 12-04-2015, 18:07   #180
Super Moderator

This thread is supposed to be about James Gray!!

There are saw really good points on here about the ground but the figures mentioned are totally incorrect.

For the sake of "modertion" correctness I'll close this for now.

Please feel free to discuss this very important topic

Last edited by Mr T; 12-04-2015 at 18:08. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..